Celebrity Summit July 10, 2021 - Outstanding cruise

seacruise9

11 hours ago, prbffd28 said:

Hello Chuck,

Thank you for the in depth information, it is very helpful. We are scheduled for the August 14th sailing and it will be our first Celebrity cruise, first time in St Maarten, and also our honeymoon so this information definitely helps ease the anxiety of sailing from St Maarten vs US ports. We are definitely looking forward to this cruise for a number of reasons (too many to mention here) but let's just say it's time!!

We are flying in a day early just in case and I have arranged transport with a local tour company to our hotel on Friday. Then on Saturday morning I arranged an island tour with him as a surprise for my "then to be wife" as we have a check in time of 2pm. I'm crossing my fingers all goes well. Thanks again for all the information you provided.

Perry

Hi, 

Congratulations! Have a great cruise!

Chuck

Chuck ~ I can't thank you enough for sharing your experience with all of us.  I am officially now "over-excited" to be sailing on the August 21 and 28 sailings of Summit.  We sailed her two times in 2002 and loved her then so I know we will love her now.

I'm excited to see the changes and enjoy 12 nights onboard.  I look forward to seeing the other CC members sailing on the August 21 cruise as well.

THANKS AGAIN, Chuck!!!

16 hours ago, fabric_fabric said:

Hi - we were on the June 12 cruise and are returning on the August 21 cruise. We only used taxis to get about. There are plenty of taxis available at the airport but there was about a 30-45 minute wait because of so many people arriving all at once. There were a lot of taxis when we left the ship and the wait was only about 5-10 minutes to get assigned to a taxi. The fare was $20 for two of us each way.

Edited by 5:00_Somewhere
trying to delete duplicate post.

16 hours ago, fabric_fabric said:

Hi - we were on the June 12 cruise and are returning on the August 21 cruise. We only used taxis to get about. There are plenty of taxis available at the airport but there was about a 30-45 minute wait because of so many people arriving all at once. There were a lot of taxis when we left the ship and the wait was only about 5-10 minutes to get assigned to a taxi. The fare was $20 for two of us each way.

Thank you for this information, as well. I actually tried to book Celebrity transfers yesterday, but it would only provide me a 7:00 pm pick-up time at the airport on arrival day (we arrive at 12:30 pm) and an 11:00 am pick-up time at the ship, when our plan departs at 1:30 pm and we'd like to be to the airport a bit sooner than the transfer would permit. So, do think it will be taxis for us. Honestly, we were trying to use up some OBC from our cancelled St. Kitts excursion, but I guess we'll just have to find some other way to spend those $. 😉

6 hours ago, 5:00_Somewhere said:

Hey there! We are traveling on the Summit leaving August 20.  It looks like all islands are going to be Celebrity sponsored excursions....did you find that to be true?  Will they not let you off the ship if you aren't booked on an excursion. Sometimes my husband and I want to just get off and shop. Thanks.

1 hour ago, chefb1 said:

Hey there! We are traveling on the Summit leaving August 20.  It looks like all islands are going to be Celebrity sponsored excursions....did you find that to be true?  Will they not let you off the ship if you aren't booked on an excursion. Sometimes my husband and I want to just get off and shop. Thanks.

Hi,

It varies by port and probably changes over time. For my cruise, Barbados was the strictest port. You had to either purchase a Celebrity shore excursion or take a government-approved taxi to certain approved sites. We could only go shopping at the shops in the cruise terminal. Also, they were strict about wearing masks.

St. Lucia was more open to cruise passengers. We could shop on our own but had to wear a white plastic bracelet to indicate that we were cruise passengers.

Curacao currently is one of most open Caribbean ports. It generally has returned to normal but some shops had signs on their doors requiring that masks be worn.

Of course, the protocol for each port is subject to change and might be different for your cruise in August.

Chuck

On 7/18/2021 at 2:35 PM, fsr44 said:

Chiming in to say an enthusiastic "DITTO!"  We were on this cruise as well, and after about a dozen Celebrity cruises, this one was the best.  The ship looks beautiful (I've cruised on Millenium class pre-Revolutionizing, along with Soltice and Edge class), the staff were warm, efficient and enthusiastic.  Service, food, facilities were all top-notch.  We were in The Retreat, and honestly, they spoiled us rotten.  Yes, you have to jump through some hoops (all of which went smoothly for us) to get tested and go to St. Maarten, and yes, the airport is a bit crowded on the return, but don't let that stop you.  If you're wondering whether it's worth it, consider when you will ever have the opportunity to cruise with so few passengers and so many crew members (all of them vaxxed). Want to have the pool to yourself, whenever you choose?  Want to be treated like an actual celebrity?  I say take this Summit cruise while you still can.  It was unforgettable.  We brought along a friend who has never cruised before, and by the end of the week, everyone was teasing him about how no other cruise could possibly live up to this one.  Even so, he's a convert.

Hello.  I'm considering booking the Summit for a 4 night cruise with myself, my husband, and our 13 year old daughter.  We are considering the celebrity suite.  As you were in the Retreat I'm assuming you had a suite.  The suite we are looking at would be $5500 for 4 nights.  Seems extreme but the perks look amazing.  Did you think it was worth it and do you mind telling me which suite you had?

Thanks

7 hours ago, 5:00_Somewhere said:

Thank you for this information, as well. I actually tried to book Celebrity transfers yesterday, but it would only provide me a 7:00 pm pick-up time at the airport on arrival day (we arrive at 12:30 pm) and an 11:00 am pick-up time at the ship, when our plan departs at 1:30 pm and we'd like to be to the airport a bit sooner than the transfer would permit. So, do think it will be taxis for us. Honestly, we were trying to use up some OBC from our cancelled St. Kitts excursion, but I guess we'll just have to find some other way to spend those $. 😉

Hi, 

I had the same experience when I tried to purchase transfers on the Celebrity website. I called Celebrity and purchased my transfers through a representative. I provided the representative with my flight times and was able to take the transfer exactly when I wanted. I think the times that you mention above are actually the latest possible times that transfers are available.

My flight arrived in St. Maarten at 11:30 am and I immediately boarded the bus after I was finished at the airport. I was aboard the ship (following the Celebrity transfer) at approximately 1:00 pm.

After the cruise, my flight departed St. Maarten at 12:45 pm. Near the end of the cruise, we could select our own departure times. I selected the earliest departure time (7:30 am) and was at the airport before 8:30 am.

There is a lot more flexibility regarding the transfers than indicated on the Celebrity website.

Chuck

11 hours ago, Host Anne said:

Chuck ~ I can't thank you enough for sharing your experience with all of us.  I am officially now "over-excited" to be sailing on the August 21 and 28 sailings of Summit.  We sailed her two times in 2002 and loved her then so I know we will love her now.

I'm excited to see the changes and enjoy 12 nights onboard.  I look forward to seeing the other CC members sailing on the August 21 cruise as well.

THANKS AGAIN, Chuck!!!

Hi, 

You are very welcome. I cruised aboard the Summit in 2010 and think the ship is much better now. I'm sure you will have a great time.

Chuck 

10 hours ago, seacruise9 said:

Hi, 

I had the same experience when I tried to purchase transfers on the Celebrity website. I called Celebrity and purchased my transfers through a representative. I provided the representative with my flight times and was able to take the transfer exactly when I wanted. I think the times that you mention above are actually the latest possible times that transfers are available.

My flight arrived in St. Maarten at 11:30 am and I immediately boarded the bus after I was finished at the airport. I was aboard the ship (following the Celebrity transfer) at approximately 1:00 pm.

After the cruise, my flight departed St. Maarten at 12:45 pm. Near the end of the cruise, we could select our own departure times. I selected the earliest departure time (7:30 am) and was at the airport before 8:30 am.

There is a lot more flexibility regarding the transfers than indicated on the Celebrity website.

Chuck

Thank you, once again, for sharing this helpful information. That's sort what I figured. I emailed the Celebrity travel consultant we used to book the cruise, but haven't heard back yet.  Will try calling her today.  I'm not concerned either way but, as I mentioned, we now have some OBC to use and, if the timing is as convenient as your experience, there seems no reason not to use it on transfers.

12 hours ago, gojigirl said:

Hello.  I'm considering booking the Summit for a 4 night cruise with myself, my husband, and our 13 year old daughter.  We are considering the celebrity suite.  As you were in the Retreat I'm assuming you had a suite.  The suite we are looking at would be $5500 for 4 nights.  Seems extreme but the perks look amazing.  Did you think it was worth it and do you mind telling me which suite you had?

Thanks

Hi,

Normally, we book a Sky Suite and have always been happy with it.  This time, after 18 months with no cruising, we really splurged and booked a Penthouse.  It was amazing.  I can tell you that we traveled with a friend who booked the Sky Suite that adjoined ours (the Sky Suite was cabin 6145, and I'm guessing there's a twin on the starboard side).  His  was a beautiful cabin with a very spacious bathroom.  We like the Retreat perks.  Luminae is terrific, the Retreat Lounge and the Retreat Sundeck are nice amenities, and the Retreat Hosts truly go above and beyond.  For us, it was well worth it.  

Best,

J

You can also order a private transfer through Celebrity in the Retreat.   It will use up more OBC but you won’t have to bother with a bus transfer.   The driver will be there with your name on a board to greet you and handle your luggage.   It’s a more relaxing way to get to or from the airport.

• 4 months later...
On 7/19/2021 at 8:35 PM, gojigirl said:

Hi,

We really splashed out after canceling so many planned cruises due to the pandemic.  We were in a Penthouse Suite.  It was insane.  Over the top.  Really a once in a lifetime suite.  Previously, the best we've done is an aft Sky Suite.  So I can't comment on the Celebrity Suite.  I can say that I really like the Retreat.  It's best on the class of ship it was built for (Edge) but the retrofitting on Summit is lovely, even if the Retreat is a good distance from the sundeck etc.

Thanks

10 minutes ago, fsr44 said:

With kids, the CS may work well for you as it has a separate bedroom.  There are really no additional perks above Sky Suites though, you would have to go Royal and above.  That said, all the perks/amenities with Retreat class, really awesome.