Galapagos: Celebrity Flora vs. Silverseas Origin

MarciAnn

My hubby is dying to go to the Galapagos and then Machu Picchu.  We have sailed Seabourn many times and would be most comfortable on this level of ship.  (Never sailed Celebrity or Silverseas).  Would love your opinion if you have sailed either the Flora or the Origin.  Also, we would prefer to book our own arrangements to Machu Picchu as we don't really like group travel.  Any recommendations on tour companies?  Thanks very much,

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/20/2021 at 3:55 PM, MarciAnn said:

My hubby is dying to go to the Galapagos and then Machu Picchu.  We have sailed Seabourn many times and would be most comfortable on this level of ship.  (Never sailed Celebrity or Silverseas).  Would love your opinion if you have sailed either the Flora or the Origin.  Also, we would prefer to book our own arrangements to Machu Picchu as we don't really like group travel.  Any recommendations on tour companies?  Thanks very much,

We were booked on this trip on Silverseas and wound up canceling. Curious why you'd be more more comfortable on Seabourn? We've not been on either but the Origin sure looks wonderful. It was decades ago that we traveled to Machu Picchu. It was very DIY at the time (all our travel was back then) but I gather that it's not any more. You don't just show up...or that's what I think. Have you researched it yet. Have a great time.

Edited by clo

On 8/14/2021 at 9:02 PM, clo said:

We were booked on this trip on Silverseas and wound up canceling. Curious why you'd be more more comfortable on Seabourn? We've not been on either but the Origin sure looks wonderful. It was decades ago that we traveled to Machu Picchu. It was very DIY at the time (all our travel was back then) but I gather that it's not any more. You don't just show up...or that's what I think. Have you researched it yet. Have a great time.

My understanding is that the Flora and Origin were designed and built by the same shipyard. Looking at them, they seem to be almost identical. Silversea is now owned by the same company as Celebrity.

You are correct that the MP trip is probably quite different now. Advance reservations required, along with assigned entry times. We are dedicated DIYers but, after much research, we decided to take the post-cruise tour offered by Celebrity. It was small group, exceptional guides, top-notch hotels and dining.  I would not hesitate to recommend it.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/6/2021 at 10:47 PM, commencemilo said:

I am going on the Silversea Origin 1/15/22 and will let you know.  So far in comparing this to the Celebrity product Silversea is a little more all inclusive in what is with the basic package, however I believe it is also more expensive.

I really look forward to seeing what you think. We're aiming for Machu Picchu and Galapagos in 2025 and are trying to decide between Celebrity and Silversea.

Have a great trip!

Edited by Belgian fry

• 6 months later...

Did the Origin last year in September and had an absolutely fantastic time.  The ship was just awesome, like a private yacht.  Would highly recommend Silversea to anyone thinking of the Galapagos.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/6/2021 at 4:47 PM, commencemilo said:

I am going on the Silversea Origin 1/15/22 and will let you know.  So far in comparing this to the Celebrity product Silversea is a little more all inclusive in what is with the basic package, however I believe it is also more expensive.

Since the Celebrity trips to the Galapagos and extensions are all-inclusive, I will be eager to see what Silversea offers, that Celebrity does not. 

Celebrity is a high priced experience for a very average experience, the customer service during the booking is horrible with the follow up questions, requests to resolve an issue with our 10 day package literally not having a hotel night available on land before we depart. They do not care. I would go with Silverseas Origin.

• 1 month later...

The Silversea Origin was excellent. The cabins are very spacious, staff onboard and tour guides were extremely helpful with equipment, knowledge about the islands and anything else.  It was like being on a private yacht.  Our voyage was unique - the captain woke the ship up at around midnight one night as we were cruising past an active volcano.

26 minutes ago, commencemilo said:

The Silversea Origin was excellent. The cabins are very spacious, staff onboard and tour guides were extremely helpful with equipment, knowledge about the islands and anything else.  It was like being on a private yacht.  Our voyage was unique - the captain woke the ship up at around midnight one night as we were cruising past an active volcano.

How awesome was that?   I hope you took video.

• 1 month later...

We took the Ss Origen in mid April, 2022.  Fantastic time.  I did extensive research of several companies to decide which to use for this trip.   Many were very close in pricing, for the comparable length of time and product and svc offered.  Some go for shorter time or don't include as much so be sure to dig into the particulars.  Our TA highly recommended Ss as she has rarely gotten a complaint or whisper of disappointment from any of her clients who used Silversea.  A poster above correctly stated that the newest Celebrity ship and the Origen are "sister ships" likely tailored for the 2 different cruise line specs.  We enjoyed our 2 nights pre-cruise in time in Quito.  The guides and crew on Ss were superb.  It was a very fun and active trip.  We did it all - the various "hikes" (guided nature walks at a relaxed pace giving us plenty of time to watch the birds and animals & take photos, snorkeling and kayaking, so our days were very busy. The ship is lovely and has a terrific interactive "research/information" section for guests to use for more information.  We had a room with the drop down window and thus no balcony as that space was part of the room which we enjoyed.  Delightful fellow passengers.  Highly recommend going around April as it is mating season and some of the seasonal birds were returning to mate and nest so we saw a lot!  The currents are changing then so the water starts getting cooler.  Thankfully someone recommended I take a "rashguard" to wear under the Ss provided wetsuit.  It did help although I only had a top and would recommend, the leggings, water gloves and a hat if you are cold sensitive.  Weather was glorious.  One of our favorite trips and would go again to other islands.  And yes I would use Ss again for this trip!