More Australia/New Zealand Cancellations...

ceilidh1

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

Unless Australia starts getting serious about a vaccination programme,  their borders are likely to stay closed indefinitely!  

The government is copping a lot of flak about the 'stroll out' of the program but not helped by the choice of Astra Zeneca for the backbone of the program (made in Au) but then many changes about who it can be used for. First all adults then over 50 only, then over 60 only, then under 50s again but only  after discussion wth your doctor,  then one state has said take anything you can. Many people are waiting for Pfizer which has to be imported. It's a debacle. We get our second AZ shot tomorrow.

1 hour ago, onlyslightlymad said:

UK's vaccination rate is very impressive (particularly compared with NZ) but I am seeing 55.4% vaccinated in the quoted figures, not 80%.

The higher figure is for those with one jab, the lower for two jabs. The actual figure for two doses is 66.7% as of a few days ago, so will now be around 70%

For those over 60 years of age, the figure for double jabs is well in excess of 90%.

Edited by wowzz

2 hours ago, wowzz said:

Unless Australia starts getting serious about a vaccination programme,  their borders are likely to stay closed indefinitely!  

We are serious about a vaccination program and it is moving ok now, although was set back by the media driven panic about Astra and clots. I have had both AZ shots.

One of the reasons our program has been slow is that we managed Covid so well, there hasn't been the urgency to get vaccinated. Unlike many other Countries.

7 minutes ago, leck57 said:

We are serious about a vaccination program and it is moving ok now, although was set back by the media driven panic about Astra and clots. I have had both AZ shots.

One of the reasons our program has been slow is that we managed Covid so well, there hasn't been the urgency to get vaccinated. Unlike many other Countries.

Australia and New Zealand have indeed managed the epidemic well,  basically  by closing their borders,  an option not possible for most other countries.  However,  that single policy  cannot work forever, and not using the benefit of closed borders by ramping up a vaccination programme seems strange.  

4 minutes ago, leck57 said:

I would agree vaccination rates have increased but not that the media hype was to blame for AZ issues - there were many mixed messages from the government.

Whatever the issue Australia isn't looking to open the borders till mid next year - both to AU citizens wanting to travel overseas and international arrivals. And NZ is off limits now for 2 months at least.

Cruising is a casualty - of COVID (generally) but also of the government position on allowing ships and pax to enter and the border closures by state governments. So not surprised (along with most people) at the continued cancellations/ 

20 hours ago, wowzz said:

Australia and New Zealand have indeed managed the epidemic well,  basically  by closing their borders,  an option not possible for most other countries.  However,  that single policy  cannot work forever, and not using the benefit of closed borders by ramping up a vaccination programme seems strange.  

The vaccination program is ramping up now. The Govt put all their eggs in the Astra Zeneca basket and due to the over hype about the clot issue it stalled. I know heaps of people that put off getting AZ and wanted to wait for Pfizer. Supplies of that are now about and the rate of vaccination has lifted a lot. We are over a million jabs a week now which to you may not seem a lot, but with about 22 million eligible, we will have all done by years end, as the Govt predicted.

20 hours ago, Aussieflyer said:

Whatever the issue Australia isn't looking to open the borders till mid next year - both to AU citizens wanting to travel overseas and international arrivals. And NZ is off limits now for 2 months at least.

I would like a quiet bet (lets say for an imaginary drink🍷🍷) that our international borders will be open well before mid year. January/Feb is my tip. Once everyone who wants the jab has had it, it is pointless keeping borders closed. We will have to learn to live with the virus by then and with an election starting to loom by then, the Govt will be under great pressure to join the rest of the world.

2 minutes ago, leck57 said:

I would like a quiet bet (lets say for an imaginary drink🍷🍷) that our international borders will be open well before mid year. January/Feb is my tip. Once everyone who wants the jab has had it, it is pointless keeping borders closed. We will have to learn to live with the virus by then and with an election starting to loom by then, the Govt will be under great pressure to join the rest of the world.

At our present rate of vaccination it looking like at least Feb 2022 before numbers on fully vaccinated people could be looking good....

But looking at what has happen so far.... it will be more of the same for some time..... check back about middle of 2022 for an update

1 hour ago, getting older slowly said:

At our present rate of vaccination it looking like at least Feb 2022 before numbers on fully vaccinated people could be looking good....

But looking at what has happen so far.... it will be more of the same for some time..... check back about middle of 2022 for an update

I don't think there will be a grand reopening of the border here.  More like a gradual opening to countries with similar strategies.  I can see different border controls for countries with different risk profiles.  Yes, there are likely to be small outbreaks but I predict compulsory contact tracing and isolation for all contacts.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/16/2021 at 6:06 AM, caribill said:

That might have been the plan then but COVD is back in NZ and all plans are shelved for the present.