Keto / Low Carb / Sugar Free Food Requests

dmcfad2

I have been following a ketogenic/low carb/sugar free diet for three years. In the past, when cruising, I will just order something that I know isn’t breaded, like a steak or chicken breast and veggies (normally an every night option) or I will order off the menu and ask them to hold the gravy, no breading, no sugar. However, the last time I cruised, there was no chicken on the menu. I would request it, but wasn’t always able to get it and the server always looked a bit perplexed. LOL (So, I ate a lot of steak). I am also aware that this was probably difficult for the kitchen staff. I know you can request the menu for the next evening when you are gluten free or low sodium or have food allergies, but I wonder if low carb/ sugar free is also something one could order the night before? Does anyone have experience ordering food the night before in the MDR that can be made ketogenic or low carb? 

No chicken? IIRC,  there is chicken on many of the dinner menus, if not most, perhaps not as keto friendly as you like. Can you do pork...it is frequently on the menu as well. There is fish every night, again, perhaps not as keto friendly as you desire. There is almost always two beef dishes...one on the "available every night" menu (same with the fish...usually two every night, salmon on the "available every night" menu). There are also salad type options, both on the main menu, and the "available every night" menu, also vegetarian options, but, the vegetarian options are usually not keto favorites, but sometimes. The salad options might be.

We have lived low carb, low sugar for 15 plus years...although we know that not all situations are perfect on vacation. Sugar free is typically a bit harder. Typically one desert per night, a couple in the Lido at lunch and dinner.

We never found it necessary to order the night before.

• Like 1

I'm not aware of whether this can be requested.  But, I would certainly ask if you get no replies.  I know that I've had a bun-less hamburger and hot dog with cheese on them at Dive In.  They have served shrimp, chicken, steak, pork and fish in Lido and MDR.  A good option would be the steak or pork loin and ask to omit the gravy.  Yea, I guess the question is in how the food is prepared.  

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies. There is usually some kind of chicken dish on the menu, but it is usually breaded or in a sauce. The everyday menu used to have steak and chicken, but I was on nieuw statendam in August 2019 and chicken wasn’t there anymore. I was reading another thread live from Nieuw Amsterdam and she mentioned only steak on the everyday menu the first night. Anyway, I can always find something. I just thought it would be easier on the staff if I could request it ahead of time like others do for their special needs. When I get on Zuiderdam in September I will talk to the maitre D and ask if it is possible to order ahead of time. 

Several years back I did just what you are asking about. Prior to leaving I asked HAL Seattle if macro counts were available for the menus. The reply was no, but they gave me the contact information for the chef and suggested I contact him during my cruise if I have questions, and suggested a meeting the first day to review foods/ or items in the lido. My name was flagged (I found out the first night) and they brought me menus for the next evening so I could pre-order. This continued all cruise. They were really trying to be helpful.😁 And they did a really good job.

Since then, I just don’t say anything, and order with everyone else,  asking for items to be exchanged for something else on the menu when appropriate (ie: green beans or tomatoes in place of the rice), no sauce, etc. And the things I’m allergic to are not normally used as hidden ingredients ( thank God). 

Just me, but I just prefer not having the fanfare of pre-ordering. 

12 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Several years back I did just what you are asking about. Prior to leaving I asked HAL Seattle if macro counts were available for the menus. The reply was no, but they gave me the contact information for the chef and suggested I contact him during my cruise if I have questions, and suggested a meeting the first day to review foods/ or items in the lido. My name was flagged (I found out the first night) and they brought me menus for the next evening so I could pre-order. This continued all cruise. They were really trying to be helpful.😁 And they did a really good job.

Since then, I just don’t say anything, and order with everyone else,  asking for items to be exchanged for something else on the menu when appropriate (ie: green beans or tomatoes in place of the rice), no sauce, etc. And the things I’m allergic to are not normally used as hidden ingredients ( thank God). 

Just me, but I just prefer not having the fanfare of pre-ordering. 

Oh, just what I wanted to know! I think I’ll just continue ordering as I have in the past. They’ve always done a good job of bringing my food the way I want it. I was wondering if it would be easier for them if they knew ahead of time, but maybe not and I don’t want fanfare, either. Thanks so much for your answer!

Edited by dmcfad2
  • Like 1