Mardi Gras - Spa Elevator

Tom-n-Cheryl

It looks like I come across something new every time I look at the Mardi Gras deck plans.

Very handy that there's a Spa Elevator that goes direct from deck 17 to deck 5 (Spa). Even more reason to see what the spa has to offer - since they're making it so convenient !

OK, I might just go ahead and bite the bullet and try the couples massage again. I'm still hearing from Cheryl about the last time we did that. I was heard a few times to say "ow" and kept asking the woman to dial it down a touch. Guess I'm just a sensitive guy. Cheryl didn't use that exact wording though. LOL

So - the "Swedish" massage is supposed to be a little more gentle/relaxing??

Tom

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Any input on the Swedish massage (easier on tender souls than the other options)?  🙂

Tom

I normally have deep tissue massage, but had a Swedish massage once and did not care for it. It was way too gentle for me, so you might really like it.😄

17 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Any input on the Swedish massage (easier on tender souls than the other options)?  🙂

Tom

If you're looking for an experience that is a little more gentle, you can't go wrong with the hot stone massage.

• Like 3

Yes, Swedish massage should be a fairly easy experience.

For one of our first Valentine's Day gifts after being married (36+ years ago), DH gave me a gift certificate for a massage for a well known chain in the Atlanta metro area. Me, not knowing anything about a massage, did not ask any questions (because I didn't know what I didn't know). I was sore and visibly bruised for almost 5 days after the massage. 😳   I've never returned for one, but thinking about it for my next cruise (a couples visit this time).

I have fibromyalgia and have had massages on the ship.  I write on the paperwork before hand, and tell the massage therapist before we start, where I am most susceptible to pain.  They take it easy on me and I don't experience pain, then or afterward.  I do feel really tired / relaxed.  

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

It looks like I come across something new every time I look at the Mardi Gras deck plans.

Very handy that there's a Spa Elevator that goes direct from deck 17 to deck 5 (Spa). Even more reason to see what the spa has to offer - since they're making it so convenient !

OK, I might just go ahead and bite the bullet and try the couples massage again. I'm still hearing from Cheryl about the last time we did that. I was heard a few times to say "ow" and kept asking the woman to dial it down a touch. Guess I'm just a sensitive guy. Cheryl didn't use that exact wording though. LOL

So - the "Swedish" massage is supposed to be a little more gentle/relaxing??

Tom

I believe you will have to have a Spa cabin on Deck 17 to use that elevator.

1 hour ago, BlerkOne said:

I believe you will have to have a Spa cabin on Deck 17 to use that elevator.

One of the Presidential Suite perks listed was access to both the Havana Pool and Thermal Suites, so I'm guessing our card will operate the elevator - if it's for limited use.

Tom

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, AtSeaWithChris said:

I believe that probably anyone that can walk to the elevator will be able to use it from deck 17.

The elevator goes directly into the Thermal suite,which is not complementary,so I would say that the elevator will need a special seapass card.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, kwokpot said:

The elevator goes directly into the Thermal suite,which is not complementary,so I would say that the elevator will need a special seapass card.

lol I really have no clue but I didn't see anyone use a card in John's video.

• 2 weeks later...

OK -- rethinking the couples massage. I'm guessing that during the massage we'd be expected to wear masks now.. ??

I am far from being anti-mask, but I'm having a difficult time picturing laying there trying to enjoy the experience... with a mask on!!

Tom

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

OK -- rethinking the couples massage. I'm guessing that during the massage we'd be expected to wear masks now.. ??

I am far from being anti-mask, but I'm having a difficult time picturing laying there trying to enjoy the experience... with a mask on!!

Tom

I saw somewhere masks not required in the spa

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Tom

I had a massage last summer with a mask on and recently a massage without it. TBH I didn't think it was that big of a deal to have the mask on (It was required when I was face up but not when I was face down. It might be different requirements in every spa)

Having said that I never saw the appeal of a couples massage. The very nature of a massage is a personal experience, not a group or shared experience,  so I never saw the benefit of having a significant other in the same room while a therapist gives you an individual massage (And yes, I've done a couples massage with a S.O.). Unlike a group exercise or a Yoga class you're laying on an individual table either face up or face down, eyes closed to enjoy the massage.  Soothing music is playing. i don't see how having a S.O. in the same room but not interacting with them in any manner enhances the massage experience. 

16 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

I had a massage last summer with a mask on and recently a massage without it. TBH I didn't think it was that big of a deal to have the mask on (It was required when I was face up but not when I was face down. It might be different requirements in every spa)

Having said that I never saw the appeal of a couples massage. The very nature of a massage is a personal experience, not a group or shared experience,  so I never saw the benefit of having a significant other in the same room while a therapist gives you an individual massage (And yes, I've done a couples massage with a S.O.). Unlike a group exercise or a Yoga class you're laying on an individual table either face up or face down, eyes closed to enjoy the massage.  Soothing music is playing. i don't see how having a S.O. in the same room but not interacting with them in any manner enhances the massage experience. 

Thanks

I will say that perhaps Carnival thinks that there might be some level of interaction between the couples following the massage - as on the Mardi Gras there is, in the room, both whirlpool tub and a bed/mattress. I'm not sure what they think will occur (would not in our case - but I can see some getting caught up in the "experience") !

Tom

6 hours ago, kwokpot said:

The enhancement of the massage experience for a couple is implied in the previous post by Tom.  I have never seen a hot tub and a bed placed in a couples massage room before.  Is Carnival giving couples 30 minutes post massage to relax in the hot tub and possibly get frisky?

The Spa Elevator from Deck 17 forward and only goes to the thermal suites on deck 5. The call button outside the elevator is the same as any elevator. Once the door opens anyone can step inside. The button panel inside has buttons for 5 and 17. Below the buttons is an RFID reader that is the same as used on all the rooms. It will read your sign & sail card and allow a floor to be selected. Otherwise the elevator will sit there and wait for you to get out. Once on deck five a rear door on the cab opens into a small vestibule with a door into the main suite room. 

Is it worth the upcharge for a spa cabin on 17? I booked it. My previous experience has been on Splendor, which had a huge pool, but was never crowded at all. I look forward to the week for sure.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Moviela said:

The Spa Elevator from Deck 17 forward and only goes to the thermal suites on deck 5. The call button outside the elevator is the same as any elevator. Once the door opens anyone can step inside. The button panel inside has buttons for 5 and 17. Below the buttons is an RFID reader that is the same as used on all the rooms. It will read your sign & sail card and allow a floor to be selected. Otherwise the elevator will sit there and wait for you to get out. Once on deck five a rear door on the cab opens into a small vestibule with a door into the main suite room. 

Is it worth the upcharge for a spa cabin on 17? I booked it. My previous experience has been on Splendor, which had a huge pool, but was never crowded at all. I look forward to the week for sure.

What I said, lol.