We need a STRAW update from a current cruiser!

Circlt

Am I just total trash if I drink from the rim of a glass without any straw at all?  Like you hold the cup or class in your hand and put your lips on the rim and tilt the cup and the drink flows into your mouth. 

I feel like I am a total weirdo, but that's nothing new and hardly limited to strawlessness.  I like my drinks without ice.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, KmomChicago said:

Am I just total trash if I drink from the rim of a glass without any straw at all?  Like you hold the cup or class in your hand and put your lips on the rim and tilt the cup and the drink flows into your mouth. 

I feel like I am a total weirdo, but that's nothing new and hardly limited to strawlessness.  I like my drinks without ice.

No, you aren't weird. I wish I could drink without a straw but due to nose and mouth surgeries I can't.

I've tried.  The drink will flow everywhere except my mouth.  One of the inconveniences of having had facial cancer.  

Happy to cruise with my straws!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, KmomChicago said:

I agree that straws aren't necessary with a lot of drinks. I don't need a straw for water, ice tea, martinis, mixed drinks, etc.  I have adjusted except for certain drinks.  A bloody Mary without a straw leads to some uncomfortable mouth side effects.  A frozen concoction is hard to drink without a straw.  As far as no stirrers are concerned, how about the idea of your coffee without stirring your cream or sugar.  We all need to adapt to new environmental restrictions.  I feel it's a good idea where feasible.  Just would like some flexibility.     

Just now, RoperDK said:

I agree that straws aren't necessary with a lot of drinks. I don't need a straw for water, ice tea, martinis, mixed drinks, etc.  I have adjusted except for certain drinks.  A bloody Mary without a straw leads to some uncomfortable mouth side effects.  A frozen concoction is hard to drink without a straw.  As far as no stirrers are concerned, how about the idea of your coffee without stirring your cream or sugar.  We all need to adapt to new environmental restrictions.  I feel it's a good idea where feasible.  Just would like some flexibility.     

Right right. I don't use sugar or sweetener in my coffee and the cream, when I use it, seems to dissipate well enough for me on its own. I get the drinks on the rocks, which I prefer mostly without ice, and yes slushy type drinks are hard. I almost never use straws at home and really don't much care if I don't get them elsewhere. Just is not a need for me. I do have some metal ones to bring on board this time, however, more for my peeps than myself.

• Like 1

Carnival is proud of themselves for eliminating all single use plastics. Good move. If you can't navigate without a straw, bring your own. Bring your own swizzle sticks, coffee stirs, and sippy cups for those under 6 or over 70. 

• Like 1

What a fun thread this has turned out to be! Love it! 

I need a straw too, depending on the drink. For me, a FunShip Special needs no straw. Neither does scotch & water. A frozen drink? Yes, of course. Or a thick milkshake drink. Yes, of course. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, AstoriaPreppy said:

Just disembarked the Vista on Saturday. I can report that they are using the horrific edible straws (we were unaware this was a thing). If you enjoy drinking your beverage through a thick tubular piece of gelatinous origin, you're going to love it. 

Additionally (and much MUCH worse), Carnival is also using spaghetti instead of cocktail stirrers. That's right, SPAGHETTI.

For example, you order a gin martini with olives.... and the olives are threaded onto spaghetti instead of a pick or stirrer. Sometimes, bartenders will use multiple strands, as they quickly discovered that giant cocktail olives easily overload the tensile strength of even the highest-quality long pastas.

Trust me, there's nothing better than trying to get partially-dissolved, booze-soaked pasta out of your teeth before dinner, because Carnival has decided that bamboo stirrers aren't eco-friendly enough.

(I will be noting this on my comment card)

Thanks for the warning. I have celiac disease.  Just another thing to worry about now. *sigh*

Bring whatever you want, but please don't bring the plastic ones. The wind catches them and blows them overboard and they're harmful to sea critters.

I'm not even a tree hugging enviro-nut, just a guy who's lived near the ocean his whole life. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, EngIceDave said:

Bring whatever you want, but please don't bring the plastic ones. The wind catches them and blows them overboard and they're harmful to sea critters.

I'm not even a tree hugging enviro-nut, just a guy who's lived near the ocean his whole life. 

I could see the wind blowing them into the ocean from a beach, but not from a ship.  I think the focus should be on getting all of the trash out of the ocean.  When I was in Long Beach for a cruise in 2019, there was trash everywhere in the water.  

1 hour ago, EngIceDave said:

I'm one that will be bringing my PLASTIC straws on the cruise with me.  They do not fly off the ship and will be placed in a trash can.  The problem with plastic in the ocean is not coming from cruise ships.  It's 3rd world and developing countries who have little or no sanitation practices.

• Like 2

Getting off the Breeze. They seemed to be running out of the food straws, which are worthless anyway. There were selling single reusable sturdy plastic straws for $1 or the metal straws w/ blue or red tips in a 4 pack plus cleaning brush for 4.95. 

• Like 1

I will agree that straws are probably not a major contributing factor in plastic waste in the ocean, but they are an easy target for "green theater", and I suppose can help remind people there is more to do.  And I have seen them blow overboard from glasses that "guests" leave on the deck that then get blown or knocked over.

I try to avoid using single-use plastics, and when I do I try to make them multiple-use - easy enough to wash a plastic spoon or fork that I used for lunch at work, keep them for the next few meals.

And we mostly drink out drinks without straws, but I will admit a frozen drink like a Twilight Zone or Pina Colada is best through a straw.  I might grab a couple of those stainless steel expandable straws as backup.

It's definitely not the norm to have straws blow out of someone's drink and over the high railing of the ship.  I've been on a lot of cruises, some of them windy, and never saw it happen.  I do not think its a huge contributing factor to problems in the ocean.  Trash needs to be disposed of property, both on the ship and on beaches.  It's ironic how plastic straws are banned in California, yet some of their beaches are covered in trash.  Talk about hypocritical.

Edited by TNcruising02