Freestyle Warerobe

CTCruiser001

On 8/4/2021 at 1:57 PM, ColeThornton said:

All Decked-out: Smart Casual

The problem I have on NCL is when they put out a certain dress code for a venue and don't enforce it.

Agree completely.  If I want to wear a t-shirt and shorts during dinner, I go to McDonalds on land or the buffet on a ship.  When I go to a pricey, star-rated restaurant, though, I expect an elegant dining experience, so I wear slacks, dress shoes, and a collared shirt (or sometimes a coat and tie).  On those occasions, I find it very off-putting to be seated near others who are significantly under dressed for the ambiance of the venue.   I personally really enjoy Le Bistro, so po-tay-toe, pah-tah-tah if someone else refuses to go there, but I really wish the ship's staff would do more to enforce the dress code.  I realize that standards of appearance have degraded significantly in America in recent decades, but I still think that if you are going to visit a classy joint, you should dress up.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, The Traveling Man said:

Agree completely.  If I want to wear a t-shirt and shorts during dinner, I go to McDonalds on land or the buffet on a ship.  When I go to a pricey, star-rated restaurant, though, I expect an elegant dining experience, so I wear slacks, dress shoes, and a collared shirt (or sometimes a coat and tie).  On those occasions, I find it very off-putting to be seated near others who are significantly under dressed for the ambiance of the venue.   I personally really enjoy Le Bistro, so po-tay-toe, pah-tah-tah if someone else refuses to go there, but I really wish the ship's staff would do more to enforce the dress code.  I realize that standards of appearance have degraded significantly in America in recent decades, but I still think that if you are going to visit a classy joint, you should dress up.

Yes. Gents must wear long pants (jeans or dockers) and a collared shirt (polo shirt) is required for Le Bistro and Ocean Blue. Shorts are perfectly acceptable in all other restaurants for all meals,,, including all other specialty restaurants. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BirdTravels said:

Yes. Gents must wear long pants (jeans or dockers) and a collared shirt (polo shirt) is required for Le Bistro and Ocean Blue. Shorts are perfectly acceptable in all other restaurants for all meals,,, including all other specialty restaurants. 

I agree with you that the dress code calls for that, but it is not always enforced.  The last time we ate in Le Bistro, a man at a table near us was wearing flip-flop sandals, shorts, a t-shirt, and a baseball cap.

26 minutes ago, The Traveling Man said:

It all really depends on the cruise line.  NCL really wants folks to feel comfortable so their dress requirements are very casual.  The most dressed up I would get on a NCL ship would be slacks and a button down shirt.  

However, that would not work on some nights on other cruise lines like Princess, Celebrity and other non-contemporary lines.  There you are usually required to dress more formally for certain nights and venues.  Jacket and Tie at least.  Then you get to the luxury Cunard and even walking around the ship at times has a demanding dress code.

All in all, pick which line fits you best and then follow their recommendations for dress.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, scooter6139 said:

It all really depends on the cruise line.  NCL really wants folks to feel comfortable so their dress requirements are very casual.  The most dressed up I would get on a NCL ship would be slacks and a button down shirt.  

However, that would not work on some nights on other cruise lines like Princess, Celebrity and other non-contemporary lines.  There you are usually required to dress more formally for certain nights and venues.  Jacket and Tie at least.  Then you get to the luxury Cunard and even walking around the ship at times has a demanding dress code.

All in all, pick which line fits you best and then follow their recommendations for dress.

Can't argue with anything you said.  I recall our one cruise on Holland America - it felt a little "stuffed shirt" to me.  There were two "gala" nights when coat and tie were required for dinner in any of the restaurants.  I suppose if you didn't want to dress up you could eat at the buffet or have room service.  One thing I like about NCL is the variety.  There are places where shorts and sandals are appropriate, and then there are times and places where a bit more upscale attire is expected.  My point is that it seems like NCL, in an effort to avoid stepping on anyone's toes, sometimes allows folks to skirt by the dress code in areas where a bit more decorum should be expected.

35 minutes ago, The Traveling Man said:

Can't argue with anything you said.  I recall our one cruise on Holland America - it felt a little "stuffed shirt" to me.  There were two "gala" nights when coat and tie were required for dinner in any of the restaurants.  I suppose if you didn't want to dress up you could eat at the buffet or have room service.  One thing I like about NCL is the variety.  There are places where shorts and sandals are appropriate, and then there are times and places where a bit more upscale attire is expected.  My point is that it seems like NCL, in an effort to avoid stepping on anyone's toes, sometimes allows folks to skirt by the dress code in areas where a bit more decorum should be expected.

I don't have much experience with NCL, but I have done a lot on Princess.  Usually they want smart casual or so in the MDR when it's not a dress up night (which I despise but my wife loves).  However I have seen tank tops and shorts in there and they were not asked to leave, so like others have said it is likely up to the staff onsite.

hating to beat a very dead horse, ncl's major selling point is freestyle cruising. not wanting  to get into a silly argument, the only dress code they have is a collared shirt to get into le bistro. if im in jeans and a pictured t-shirt, they let me in anywhere else. i dont wear shorts of flip flops.

in over 18 ncl  cruises from 2010 through 2018, the only time i have been asked to change was at le bistro. while called "specialty restaurants" these arent 4 star rated michelin. Cagneys, moderno, la cucina. teppanyaki are all very happy to seat me even  if im wearing jeans and tennis shoes.

and guess what. if im booked into a haven and eating there, even if you're in a tux and top hat, and not a haven guest, they wont let you in, and i'll be the one with a glass of champagne waving at you.

i just tried to answer the question about the dress code. there is no official dress code on any ncl ship.

as long as you dont look like a slob, torn jeans, dirty shirt, shorts and or flip flops, you will be allowed and welcomed to any restaurant on the ship (maybe not ocean blue) but ive never sailed on an ncl ship where that was an option. 

all that being said, if you feel dissed because i'm wearing jeans and youre in a coat and tie, sorry about that.  i dont care what anyone else wears to a meal, breakfast lunch or dinner, and neither should any of you naysayers. remember we're all onvacation.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CTCruiser001 said:

If I'm in the Haven spending $10k for a cabin and I want to wear flip flops, shorts and a tee-shirt to dinner at Cagney's, I would be pissed if they turned me away. 

If you want to make your own rules regarding dress codes then hire your own yacht.  NCL is pretty lax in its freestyle environment.  In other words, it’s pretty simple to read the suggested dress code and follow/make plans accordingly.  There are plenty of other options onboard if it’s so hard to put pants on 🙄. I assume your flip flops and shorts are welcome in the Haven restaurant?  I hear it’s very nice.

• Like 5

22 hours ago, RumRunner2021 said:

It baffles me how many people hate a nice pair of shorts.  I wear shorts that are likely a lot “dressier” than those polyester “slacks” a lot of old men wear. I can say that because I’m an old man. 

I don’t think it’s the shorts that “disturb” fellow diners, it’s the hairy legs..same reason people don’t want to see tank tops on men with hairy back or flip flops on hairy feet.  😎 I could be completely off base, but I don’t think it’s just the casual nature of these items.

Frankly, what you or anyone else wears to dinner has no bearing on my enjoyment of the meal….what I don’t like is the sense of entitlement some cruisers have when it comes to following simple rules.

well mr runner, once again i find myself in agreement with you. i dont care at all what somebody else may be wearing. if they allow a man in with a speedo, or a woman with a thong bikini, that's up to the restaurant. 

as for chefchick, its not about a sense of entitlement, ncl offers the freestyle for a reason.  i dont eat at le bistro for the simple reason that they insist men wear a collared shirt. while in and of itself, this may seem like no great deal, it's their insistence that keeps me out.  i believe cagneys holds the same status as le bistro, and they have no such requirement. neither does the haven restaurant.,

'that being said however use the cliche live and let live and to each his own. 

8 minutes ago, complawyer said:

well mr runner, once again i find myself in agreement with you. i dont care at all what somebody else may be wearing. if they allow a man in with a speedo, or a woman with a thong bikini, that's up to the restaurant. 

as for chefchick, its not about a sense of entitlement, ncl offers the freestyle for a reason.  i dont eat at le bistro for the simple reason that they insist men wear a collared shirt. while in and of itself, this may seem like no great deal, it's their insistence that keeps me out.  i believe cagneys holds the same status as le bistro, and they have no such requirement. neither does the haven restaurant.,

'that being said however use the cliche live and let live and to each his own. 

And that’s where the “choice” part comes in.  Maybe sense of entitlement was a bit harsh when talking about cruise dress codes, but one can’t just pick and choose which rules to follow and which don’t apply to them…other than just not going to that restaurant or choosing another line all together.  Enjoy your cruise, wear what you want, just don’t expect the cruise line to disregard the rules because you don’t want to change for dinner.  Isn’t it great we have choices????

• Like 1

On 8/6/2021 at 5:22 PM, chefchick said:

If you want to make your own rules regarding dress codes then hire your own yacht.  NCL is pretty lax in its freestyle environment.  In other words, it’s pretty simple to read the suggested dress code and follow/make plans accordingly.  There are plenty of other options onboard if it’s so hard to put pants on 🙄. I assume your flip flops and shorts are welcome in the Haven restaurant?  I hear it’s very nice.

Yes the Haven restaurant does not have a dress code, for dinner we’ve seen about 75% “nice” (and I put polo and nice shorts in this category), 25% very casual, and that’s fine, no dress code. But I’ve seen them enforce the Le Bistro and Ocean Blue no shorts dress codes. I agree it’s not that hard to follow the dress code for the 2-3 restaurants that have one.  Like you said, if you don’t like it, stick to the other options. 

• Like 1

that's why i dont eat  at le bistro, and i havent sailed on an ncl ship with ocean blue as yet. im not opposed to the collared shirt, but i would just as soon not dine at le bistro. i dont think it's all it's cracked up to be.

3 hours ago, psac said:

Yes the Haven restaurant does not have a dress code, for dinner we’ve seen about 75% “nice” (and I put polo and nice shorts in this category), 25% very casual, and that’s fine, no dress code. But I’ve seen them enforce the Le Bistro and Ocean Blue no shorts dress codes. I agree it’s not that hard to follow the dress code for the 2-3 restaurants that have one.  Like you said, if you don’t like it, stick to the other options. 

I thought it was just MDR and Bistro. Are these rules published anywhere?  

On 8/3/2021 at 10:40 PM, RumRunner2021 said:

Has anybody here been actually turned away from any NCL restaurant because they were wearing a nice pair of shorts?  In the last three or four years?  Just curious.

We were on the Jade last week.  One night I did see a lady dressed nicely but in shorts - pretty pink, ironed board shorts with a nice top and shoes.  She looked clean and freshly put together.  The crew member in front of Grand Pacific was letting her know (very kindly) that shorts could not be worn after 6, but that Alizar’s and the buffet were open and available.  

And then we were seated, my husband wearing long pants (but perhaps not a collared shirt, I can’t recall - but I know he wore non-collared in GP at least once on the 1st night) and me in a nice top but Capri leggings.  I would not say we looked at all dressier than the other lady, but we weren’t wearing shorts.  It seemed silly to me in that case, but I guess you have to draw a non-subjective line somewhere?  

Rob-Bob said he saw folks in shorts last week.  So maybe the enforcement just depended on who was at the door each night?  So, MAYBE you’d be allowed with shorts - but it wouldn’t hurt to come prepared with pants?  

I know we were NOT fancy looking the first night!  We’d arrived at port at 7pm after a long, haphazard day (or two days) of air travel.  We had long pants on, but we were not dressed for fancy dining.  I felt slightly embarrassed walking in with people looking nicer - but more than that I was hungry and tired and glad to be on the ship at all.  I just wished we had a sign on us so everyone would know our luggage was lost and we’d have looked nicer under better circumstances.  Lol

18 hours ago, complawyer said:

if they allow a man in with a speedo, or a woman with a thong bikini, that's up to the restaurant.

That would be my line, a table of people wearing nothing but budgie smugglers.... eww no.

Live & let live but that's my limit 🤢

4 hours ago, swafly5909 said:

Rob-Bob said he saw folks in shorts last week.  So maybe the enforcement just depended on who was at the door each night?  So, MAYBE you’d be allowed with shorts - but it wouldn’t hurt to come prepared with pants?  

I just searched the NCL website and found where it specifically requires pants in the MDR, but is non-specific on which of the specialty restaurants require it.  We've read just Le Bistro.  We've also read Ocean Blue.  They really ought to clarify this if they expect people to "obey."

Edited by RumRunner2021

1 hour ago, RumRunner2021 said:

I just searched the NCL website and found where it specifically requires pants in the MDR, but is non-specific on which of the specialty restaurants require it.  We've read just Le Bistro.  We've also read Ocean Blue.  They really ought to clarify this if they expect people to "obey."

Restaurants requiring pants will be identified in the Freestyle Daily.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

Restaurants requiring pants will be identified in the Freestyle Daily.

Thanks.  That makes more sense.  I see it in the fine print on the Daily posted over in @BirdTravelscurrent Encore thread.  Le Bistro and Ocean Blue, no mention of MDR.  I have some black jersey knit sweat pants (no elastic cuffs) that I'll likely don in the spirit of minimum compliance.  Since they use stupid words like "dockers and slacks," I'll likely slide right through.  Do I really need a Levi Strauss tag on my nice Lands' End Chinos to "pass the test?"