Freestyle Warerobe

CTCruiser001

19 minutes ago, CTCruiser001 said:

It has been too long and I can't remember!  Are nice shorts allowed in the specialty restaurants, or long pants only? Asking for the Gem.

Thanks!

On the Gem shorts are permitted in every specialty restaurant but Le Bistro, where long pants are required. 

Also the aft MDR, Grand Pacific, sometimes requires long pants, sometimes not. It can depend on the itinerary and the whim of the General Manager . Shorts are permitted in the other MDR, Magenta.

we were on the star between 2016-2017 from hong kong to singapore, we were in le bistro, and they made me change into a collared shirt instead of the tee i was wearing. that's the only restriction of which i am aware. usually i wear jeans, and never had a problem

after that,i have never gone back to le bistro

1 hour ago, RumRunner2021 said:

Has anybody here been actually turned away from any NCL restaurant because they were wearing a nice pair of shorts?  In the last three or four years?  Just curious.

yes. if you do not meet the minimum dress code for Le Bistro and the Grand Pacific, you will be denied entry. The minimum dress code for gents is long pants (jeans or dockers are fine), a collared shirt, and shoes (tennis shoes are fine). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

yes. if you do not meet the minimum dress code for Le Bistro and the Grand Pacific, you will be denied entry. The minimum dress code for gents is long pants (jeans or dockers are fine), a collared shirt, and shoes (tennis shoes are fine). 

So did this happen to you?  You were wearing a nice pair of shorts and told to go away?

4 hours ago, RumRunner2021 said:

So did this happen to you?  You were wearing a nice pair of shorts and told to go away?

I saw people turned away from the MDR Grand Pacific on the jade 2019.

Also while queueing a girl came to the front of the queue and asked if here boyfriend would be permitted with shorts and she was told "no" without asking what sort of shorts.

Edited by ziggyuk
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, RumRunner2021 said:

Has anybody here been actually turned away from any NCL restaurant because they were wearing a nice pair of shorts?  In the last three or four years?  Just curious.

I haven't been turned away because I am aware of the rules and follow them but I've seen others turned away from Le Bistro when wearing shorts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rob-Bob said:

On the Jade last week.  Saw plenty of people in Pacific Dining room wearing shorts in the evening.  Lots of tees also.  Didn't seem to raise an eyebrow with anyone. 

Once again, dress code in the aft MDR  is at the discretion of shipboard management and is often based on the itinerary. On cruises in hot climates during the summer it's not uncommon for management to permit shorts and tees in the aft dining room.

personally, i would rather not eat at le bistro then take a table  in the hall, too noisy, to many people walking by,  we tried it once, and didnt bother to stay. very lousy atmosphere.  considering le bistro bills itself as a higher echelon restaurant, i believe  you wouldnt enjoy the meal 

actually, i'm not crazy about le bistro at all, so my post reeks of prejudice

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, complawyer said:

personally, i would rather not eat at le bistro then take a table  in the hall, too noisy, to many people walking by,  we tried it once, and didnt bother to stay. very lousy atmosphere.  considering le bistro bills itself as a higher echelon restaurant, i believe  you wouldnt enjoy the meal 

actually, i'm not crazy about le bistro at all, so my post reeks of prejudice

Same.  Small portions too.  I left still hungry after my meal.

• Like 1

i wouldnt go to le bistro, regardless of the portions. they've been on my s*** list for 4 years, ever since they made an issue about changing into a collared shirt. petty, petty, petty, and there were 8 people in our dinner party so it was going to be a substantial bill.

to add insult to injury, after i went all the way back to my cabin to change shirts, when i got back, the waitress spilled an entire glass of water over me.

S**ew le bistro. while we are not cheap, any place that can have the audacity to charge $35 for a glass of champagne isnt getting my business. (before all the naysayers log on) im fully aware im not obligated to order this, and a lot of people go for it. 

we also dont drink enough to justify upgrading the drink passage

they dont mind taking your money, but they b***h about your shirt. no other specialty restaurant gives a d**n unless youre really sloppily dressed

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, complawyer said:

i wouldnt go to le bistro, regardless of the portions. they've been on my s*** list for 4 years, ever since they made an issue about changing into a collared shirt. petty, petty, petty, and there were 8 people in our dinner party so it was going to be a substantial bill.

to add insult to injury, after i went all the way back to my cabin to change shirts, when i got back, the waitress spilled an entire glass of water over me.

S**ew le bistro. while we are not cheap, any place that can have the audacity to charge $35 for a glass of champagne isnt getting my business. (before all the naysayers log on) im fully aware im not obligated to order this, and a lot of people go for it. 

we also dont drink enough to justify upgrading the drink passage

they dont mind taking your money, but they b***h about your shirt. no other specialty restaurant gives a d**n unless youre really sloppily dressed

All Decked-out: Smart Casual

Dress smart casual in our more formal dining room or in our more upscale specialty restaurants. For women, it includes slacks or jeans, dresses, skirts and tops. For men, it's jeans or slacks with a collared shirt and closed-toed shoes. Kids 12 and under are welcome to wear nice shorts in all our restaurants.

Really not that big of an issue to follow a simple dress code.  It's not like they are asking you to wear a tux.  I've went to plenty of land restaurants that were upscale and required a certain measure of decorum.  Fortunately, NCL gives plenty of options for dining.

The problem I have on NCL is when they put out a certain dress code for a venue and don't enforce it.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, ColeThornton said:

All Decked-out: Smart Casual

Dress smart casual in our more formal dining room or in our more upscale specialty restaurants. For women, it includes slacks or jeans, dresses, skirts and tops. For men, it's jeans or slacks with a collared shirt and closed-toed shoes. Kids 12 and under are welcome to wear nice shorts in all our restaurants.

Really not that big of an issue to follow a simple dress code.  It's not like they are asking you to wear a tux.  I've went to plenty of land restaurants that were upscale and required a certain measure of decorum.  Fortunately, NCL gives plenty of options for dining.

The problem I have on NCL is when they put out a certain dress code for a venue and don't enforce it.

100% agree. Seems to be simple to understand.  Most ships will actually call you for Ocean Blue reminding you not to show up in a t-shirt or shorts. And if you do, you'll need to go back to your room and put on acceptable clothing 

• Like 2

I've never seen anyone turned away for wardrobe. Now just because this has happened,  doesn't mean you should just wear anything. They may ask you to take a hat off. I've seen bathing suits in the MDR before, but I don't think you'd get away with this in any specialty restaurant. If they feel it is in good taste,  they may just let it go to avoid any headaches or arguments.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

100% agree. Seems to be simple to understand.  Most ships will actually call you for Ocean Blue reminding you not to show up in a t-shirt or shorts. And if you do, you'll need to go back to your room and put on acceptable clothing 

It is simple. I was just asking if they have enforced it. Sounds like yes and no. 

• Like 1