Carnival cant answer our covid testing questions

2 minutes ago, Earthworm Jim said:

That doesn't fit with what John Heald said.  And yet both he and this PVP are Carnival representatives, so what to believe?

My guess would be this: It says "3 days before. What is one day before Saturday? Friday of course. 2 days before Saturday is therefore Thursday, and 3 days before Saturday is Wednesday. In other words, I'd think John Heald is correct. But it would be nice to have some official Carnival clarification.

from the CDC

explanation of 3 day testing.PNG

12 minutes ago, Earthworm Jim said:

I can't win I guess. Yesterday in another thread I said the rapid test is the same as the antigen test and was corrected by someone who said the NAAT is another form of rapid test, so not all rapid tests are antigen tests:

I can also confirm that my recent PCR test results, from a lab, clearly state on the results:

Methodology: Nucleic Acid Amplification Test (NAAT), which includes RT-PCR and TMA.

@grillinchillin

I agree with @Earthworm Jim quoting John Heald directly.  The spokesperson for Carnival should be trusted more than a PVP.  Obviously the best answer (if possible) is get your testing done within 48 hours of your cruise.  

I am foreseeing now a lot of pissed off folks unable to get a timely antigen test or showing up at port & being denied for the wrong test or taken too far from embarking.  

After my September cruise, I’m done at least thru 2022.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, LHARTWICK said:

Lucky us - we are in one of the states where CVS does NOT offer the needed test.  After having myself convinced to go ahead and cruise, even in a mask, we can't even get the test.  Nice.  So frustrating to say the least.

Nothing says that it must be a CVS. I find it impossible to believe that anywhere in the US right now you can't get any sort of COVID test. For vaccinated individuals, Carnival will accept PCR or Antigen (regular or rapid).

50 minutes ago, topaz123 said:

I see the local WalGreens/CVS offer the RAPID TEST.....how long does it take for results? Do you get these immediate and some sort of documentation/proof?

Be careful with Walgreens. They offer a rapid test that is an Abbott ID Now test that is NOT an antigen or PCR test. It is a NAAT test but my understanding is not all NAAT tests are PCR and they are not antigen. They also have a rapid Bimax that IS an antigen test but they are only offering that to people who have been exposed or are showing symptoms. 

3 hours ago, Earthworm Jim said:

I didn't say CVS isn't good enough for me, or that one couldn't get their test done at CVS. All I'm saying is at the CVS site it's not clear which test you'll be given since the rapid test option doesn't specify it's antigen and the other option might be the NAAT test, which apparently isn't accepted by Carnival. It puts us in a spot.

Walgreens options seem more useful, since they clearly list antigen, PCR, and the third type, ID-NOW, which Carnival doesn't specify as acceptable. The only problem there is in my case the closest antigen test to me is in Maine and I live in upstate New York. But the PCR would work, assuming I get the results fast enough.

Walgreens test type.png

Naat is a form of pcr test(molecular)

rapid is antigen.

naat is not rapid

Edited by rtazz17

6 minutes ago, rtazz17 said:

Naat is a form of pcr test(molecular)

rapid is antigen.

naat is not rapid

PCR is a form of Naat tests. All PCR tests are Naat tests. Not all naat tests are PCR

Antigen is a form of rapid tests. All Antigen are rapid tests. Not all rapid tests are antigen.

I would feel comfortable getting a test that says PCR or Antigen on it. Not simply Naat or rapid. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tm_aw_love said:

Nothing says that it must be a CVS. I find it impossible to believe that anywhere in the US right now you can't get any sort of COVID test. For vaccinated individuals, Carnival will accept PCR or Antigen (regular or rapid).

I understand that it does not have to be CVS - I was just pointing out that ours do not offer the test we need.  I have a list of testing sites in our area that I'm going through.  It's the rapid testing and wait times here where we live.  And I do understand which tests are accepted.  Again, it's about the timing.  I'm not the only one with an upcoming cruise who is running into this problem.  The main thread re: yesterday's protocols announcement is full of others in this same predicament.

1 hour ago, Shayhooper said:

Be careful with Walgreens. They offer a rapid test that is an Abbott ID Now test that is NOT an antigen or PCR test. It is a NAAT test but my understanding is not all NAAT tests are PCR and they are not antigen. They also have a rapid Bimax that IS an antigen test but they are only offering that to people who have been exposed or are showing symptoms. 

Thank you - I had just printed out the WG testing info.  I may just stop in our WG and ask about our options.  We also have a MedExpress nearby, but their site says you must be seen by a doctor before getting a rapid test. Not a big issue, but different from what other sites say.  These tests are confusing to say the least.

1 hour ago, grillinchillin said:

image.png.d58d89fbb43e156061e08a8e93567665.png

I strongly disagree with the author of this 'cheat sheet'. For example we depart Galveston, Saturday, Aug. 21. His cheat sheet states the test can be taken Thurs., Fri., or Sat. BUT, if you will work backwards with me. We are aiming for a 1:00 embarkation on Saturday. Back up 24 hours(1 full day). That puts it at Friday @  1pm. Now back that up another 24 hours(1 day). That puts it at 1 pm on Thursday. Now back THAT up another 24 hrs(1 day) and we arrive at Wednesday at 1pm. That is 3 days prior to departure. And THAT'S when we will schedule our antigen test. With so little room for error on when to get the test, we have to plan very carefully.  Sooooo.....I agree with Heald's statement on Saturday departures, and when can we go get the test. So the correct answer is: Wednesday.

• Like 2

Canadians arriving by air (land crossing not an option)

must present a negative ANTIGEN test taken within the past 72 hours.

Responsibility for checking results  falls on the airline.

Unfortunately for us on our return it must be a PCR  valid at departure from the connecting flight home.Our government does not want us to travel, I guess

Waiting for that test until  after disembarkation could result in lost flights 

and extra hotel stays waiting for the results only to have the tests invalidated for falling outside the 72 hour threshold.

too much uncertainty!

49 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

PCR is a form of Naat tests. All PCR tests are Naat tests. Not all naat tests are PCR

Antigen is a form of rapid tests. All Antigen are rapid tests. Not all rapid tests are antigen.

I would feel comfortable getting a test that says PCR or Antigen on it. Not simply Naat or rapid. 

So, I guess we should assume that when CVS says "PCR/NAAT", which I had been interpreting as meaning it might be a PCR test or it might be a NAAT test, it really just means they are specifying it is the PCR version of the NAAT test?

If so that works.  Though I think it would have been less confusing for CVS to just state it is a PCR test, a term the average person is more likely to be familiar with, and leave the NAAT part out.

Edited by Earthworm Jim
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Joe817 said:

With so little room for error on when to get the test, we have to plan very carefully.  

Thank you - Finally, someone else who understands!  IT'S ALL ABOUT THE TIMING.  And with lines long here, no guarantee we'll get a slot to get tested in the 72 hours prior to departure.  Most places here only take appointments a couple of days in advance, and they are full, full, full.  Then what if we do get a spot to get tested in time, and the results are POSITIVE for CV.....we're scrambling to cancel everything.  Ugh!!!

11 minutes ago, LHARTWICK said:

Thank you - Finally, someone else who understands!  IT'S ALL ABOUT THE TIMING.  And with lines long here, no guarantee we'll get a slot to get tested in the 72 hours prior to departure.  Most places here only take appointments a couple of days in advance, and they are full, full, full.  Then what if we do get a spot to get tested in time, and the results are POSITIVE for CV.....we're scrambling to cancel everything.  Ugh!!!

Walmart's by me are also offering PCR testing with 24 hour turn around. Might be worth looking into.

4 minutes ago, Brew12 said:

Walmart's by me are also offering PCR testing with 24 hour turn around. Might be worth looking into.

I used Quest in July for a PCR test and they used a Wal-Mart drive thru pharmacy location for the test.  

Edited by lobster1313

6 minutes ago, EngIceDave said:

Don't most minute clinic type places also do it quickly now days?

Yes, for the most part.  If you need a test because you have been exposed or are showing symptoms, it is pretty easy to get a rapid test done.  It get trickier when you are trying to test for travel because some of the rapid test meet Carnival's requirements and others don't.  

39 minutes ago, Joe817 said:

I strongly disagree with the author of this 'cheat sheet'. For example we depart Galveston, Saturday, Aug. 21. His cheat sheet states the test can be taken Thurs., Fri., or Sat. BUT, if you will work backwards with me. We are aiming for a 1:00 embarkation on Saturday. Back up 24 hours(1 full day). That puts it at Friday @  1pm. Now back that up another 24 hours(1 day). That puts it at 1 pm on Thursday. Now back THAT up another 24 hrs(1 day) and we arrive at Wednesday at 1pm. That is 3 days prior to departure. And THAT'S when we will schedule our antigen test. With so little room for error on when to get the test, we have to plan very carefully.  Sooooo.....I agree with Heald's statement on Saturday departures, and when can we go get the test. So the correct answer is: Wednesday.

I asked this exact question of him.. because three days in advance is not always the same as 72 hours.  I asked - since our cruise leaves on a Tuesday at 4 p.m., should I arrange to have the test on a Saturday after 4 p.m.?  Will I be denied if it's any earlier?  And he basically said they weren't going to quibble over a couple of hours but after 4 p.m. Saturday would be best.

So on August 28, I'll try to schedule our tests..... 

2 minutes ago, lobster1313 said:

I used Quest in July for a PCR test and they used a Wal-Mart drive thru pharmacy location for the test.  

That is what I have currently booked for 3 day before our cruise, which is a Wednesday..  The website said you can expect results one day after the sample is picked up.  Assuming the sample is picked up the same day, I should receive the results either Thursday or Friday.  As someone who manages risk for a living, this time line feels both tight and risky.

Personally I'm hoping that they will announce that the ID Now tests are also acceptable because in my area it is easy to get those and the results are within 20 minutes.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, LHARTWICK said:

Some of the people in my cruise group were going out to Seattle 5 days or a week in advance of the cruise in order to explore.  Now they have to find a place in an unfamiliar city to get the test.  I'm taking mine while I am still at home because, G-d forbid I test positive, I don't want to be stuck in a hotel in some strange city to quarantine.  

5 minutes ago, Shayhooper said:

That is what I have currently booked for 3 day before our cruise, which is a Wednesday..  The website said you can expect results one day after the sample is picked up.  Assuming the sample is picked up the same day, I should receive the results either Thursday or Friday.  As someone who manages risk for a living, this time line feels both tight and risky.

Personally I'm hoping that they will announce that the ID Now tests are also acceptable because in my area it is easy to get those and the results are within 20 minutes.

I felt the same way but the results were in my email 20 hours after my daughter's test. 

1 minute ago, lobster1313 said:

I felt the same way but the results were in my email 20 hours after my daughter's test. 

Thank you, that is very reassuring.  The project manager in me is still looking for a plan B just in case something happens but it does feel good to hear other's experiences.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Shayhooper said:

Thank you, that is very reassuring.  The project manager in me is still looking for a plan B just in case something happens but it does feel good to hear other's experiences.

That's exactly how I am.  Or even a Plan C.

Something is off about this whole thing. Cruises are normally very efficient well timed operations, everything magically falls into place.  But this is different and completely out of step. 

Someone else must be manipulating this, probably the CDC, they are forcing the cruise lines hands:  "Do this or we shut you down".