How to find out if Walgreens Red dot rapid IDNow covid test will be accepted by HAL?

ann1bell

Hello! Walgreens has a free and quick covid test called the ID Now, a NAAT test. 

There is updated testing info from HAL which mentions several NAAT tests. I cannot tell if this one is one on the list. 

I could call HAL but am concerned that the reps on the phone might give inaccurate information. 

Any advice on confirming that this test will or will not work? I have researched some online but am confused.  I guess I could go to Walgreens and ask a pharmacist there. Anyone else have any ideas? I can get a rapid antigen test at a local pharmacy for 90 dollars but would like to save some money! 

Thanks! 

I found this on the Walgreens website:

The Rapid Diagnostic Test (ID NOW) and Diagnostic Lab Test (PCR) provided by Walgreens are nucleic acid amplification tests (NAAT). Both types are approved by the state of Hawaii, however the turnaround results time may vary. 

29 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Try your local Urgent Care type walk in clinics. Lot cheaper and antigen results in my case 30 minutes.

YMMV, but where I live, a lot of the urgent care clinics are affiliated with hospital groups.  You cannot get a Covid test there unless one of their physicians orders it and/or you're having a procedure or surgery at one of their hospitals.  

Despite what's being reported in these forums, getting non-medically necessary Covid tests isn't as easy as it's being made out to be.

• Like 8

Somebody said on a post a few days ago that the Walgreen's Rapid ID Now test is a molecular test--she called Walgreens.  Here at 8/7 is the list of acceptable tests from the Holland America Q&A.  Note the list below says molecular tests are acceptable.  HA had said PCR or antigen tests were acceptable, then on this list in the Q&A, HA has included NAAT.  So confusing. But it's in writing--great.

"Guests must be tested with a SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) viral test that could be either an antigen test or a nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT). 

Antigen tests include:

• Rapid antigen test 
  • Viral antigen test  
  • Antigen Chromatographic Digital Immunoassay 
  • Antigen Chemiluminescence Immunoassay  
  • Antigen Lateral Flow Fluorescence

NAAT include:

• PCR - Polymerase chain reaction  
  • RT-PCR – reverse transcription real time PCR   
  • Quantitative PCR (qPCR)  
  • Reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP) test  
  • Transcription-mediated amplification (TMA) test  
  • Molecular test or molecular diagnostic test  
  • Isothermal amplification  
  • Droplet Digital PCR or digital droplet PCR (ddPCR)  
  • Clustered regularly interspaced short palindromic repeats (CRISPR)"
Edited by 12cruise2
words

Also, from the Walgreen's web site, the three types of tests offered are described, showing the Rapid ID Now test as a NAAT test, quoting from the Walgreen's site:

Types of tests

Diagnostic Lab Test (PCR): The RT-PCR Diagnostic Panel Test - NAAT is used to detect genetic material (mRNA) of the coronavirus and will be sent to a laboratory to determine results in a variable amount of time†.

Rapid Diagnostic Test (ID NOW): The Rapid Point-of-Care (POC) - NAAT (ID NOW) test also detects genetic material of the virus. The test is performed on site with results available within 24 hours.

Rapid Antigen Test (BinaxNOW): Rapid Point-of-Care (POC) Test - Antigen (BinaxNOW) is an antigen test that detects the presence of a specific viral antigen. The test is performed on site, with results available the same day. These tests imply current viral infection and help determine if an individual is actively infected with COVID-19 and can spread it to others. A follow-up test with a diagnostic test may be required to confirm a positive result.

Notice that Molecular Tests are acceptable, under the NAAT Holland America list above.

Lastly, here is the indication in writing that the Rapid ID Now test at Walgreen's is a molecular test, copied from Walgreen's web site:

Rapid Diagnostic Test (ID NOW) Rapid Molecular Test
Rapid Diagnostic Test (ID NOW)
Rapid Molecular Test
  • Results are available within 24 hours
  • Samples are tested on-site
  • Meets most pre-travel testing requirements, including Hawaii

18 hours ago, Roz said:

YMMV, but where I live, a lot of the urgent care clinics are affiliated with hospital groups.  You cannot get a Covid test there unless one of their physicians orders it and/or you're having a procedure or surgery at one of their hospitals.  

Despite what's being reported in these forums, getting non-medically necessary Covid tests isn't as easy as it's being made out to be.

This has been my experience. The Walgreens by me does not have the ID Now, only BinaxNOW, and  requires a medical reason to use the test. Going through with it for travel purposes would require lying, which I'm uncomfortable with given my previous history of trying to acquire tests for my family after a close contact exposure. My physician's office will only test symptomatic people, not even close contacts. This leaves a lot of the testing companies specifically geared for travel which are centered around the airport, and are inconvenient for me to get to.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, cursail said:

This has been my experience. The Walgreens by me does not have the ID Now, only BinaxNOW, and  requires a medical reason to use the test. Going through with it for travel purposes would require lying, which I'm uncomfortable with given my previous history of trying to acquire tests for my family after a close contact exposure. My physician's office will only test symptomatic people, not even close contacts. This leaves a lot of the testing companies specifically geared for travel which are centered around the airport, and are inconvenient for me to get to.

I don't know if you have a CVS near you but I was able to sign up for a rapid antigen test at one near me.  I went through all of the questions and answered that I was getting tested only for travel purposes and it had no issue in letting me sign up to get tested.  It's also apparently free which is another perk (or they bill your insurance).

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, roxybear135 said:

It's also apparently free which is another perk (or they bill your insurance).

Will your insurance pay for travel tests?  I don't think mine will, which I understand and don't disagree with.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roz said:

Will your insurance pay for travel tests?  I don't think mine will, which I understand and don't disagree with.

I'm not sure if they will.  If they don't then I will pay for it because I can understand why they would deny it. Los Angeles County (where I live) has a ton of free testing sites but they're pretty much all PCR tests so I don't want to take the risk that the results don't come back in time so I will pay for the rapid test if I have to.

• Like 1

FYI.. just had relatives leave our house in NC after a visit for their home in St John USVI that required a Rapid Test upon re-entry.. they went to Walgreens(72 hours) and the test was accepted by USVI authorities- received the test results within 2 hours..  same for us when we visited them in St John back in June

22 hours ago, roxybear135 said:

I don't know if you have a CVS near you but I was able to sign up for a rapid antigen test at one near me.  I went through all of the questions and answered that I was getting tested only for travel purposes and it had no issue in letting me sign up to get tested.  It's also apparently free which is another perk (or they bill your insurance).

Thanks for the recommendation. I checked, and all of the ones near me only offer PCR tests and don’t guarantee turnaround times. I don’t live in a testing desert but the rapid tests seem difficult to come by. 

• Like 1

This is for Western Washington only.

Walgreens will not do a Rapid test for you unless you have symptoms.

When trying to figure out there schedule, they only release a few days ahead. Everything not release is shown as unavailable. Everything with space shows times. A lot like Vaccination time lottery.

CVS and Rite Aid do not offer Rapid Test. The clinics I have been able to decipher also want symptoms.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, aa7yy said:

CVS and Rite Aid do not offer Rapid Test. The clinics I have been able to decipher also want symptoms.

I am in PA and about 15% of CVS places will do rapid testing. I was told that a lot of CVS are more into vaccines and the longer PCR lab testing that the rapid.

I feel more will start doing the rapid as all the cruise lines now want them.    Keep trying

• Like 1