Live from Steerage. Onboard Mardi Gras now. Ask us anything.

KmomChicago

23 hours ago, KmomChicago said:

Thank you Jimbo.  I know I have seen that list but it just didn't register and I never made note of it. I'm also having trouble finding them on the deck plans on the Carnival website. They are dinky and I am old and myopic.

Easier on the big prints in the elevator lobby’s. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/23/2021 at 4:49 PM, ninjacat123 said:

Yay!!! You will love it!  Re the Tram/golf cart to the cabanas, my mom who isn't as mobile as she used to be, rode in an open air tram to the cabana.  I will be in a HMC cabana in TWO WEEKS and will find out the current protocol for tram/golf cart access.😄

I'm  Baaaack!  HMC was awesome!! We checked in to Guest Services on HMC (don't remember needing to do that in prior cruises) and I asked if a tram was always available and they said yes.  We walked to our cabana and I saw a tram carrying a woman with a rolling walker (type with a seat if needed).  The driver helped her down the couple stairs in the back of the tram and then brought her walker down. I would say she and her friend would have a couple minute walk at a very careful pace to their cabana.

When you get onboard at Embarkation, go to the adventures desk as soon as possible (across from Guest Services) and request the cabana that is handicap accessible (I think #1).  Please let me know if you have questions.  I miss it already!

• Thanks 1

Speaking of prints, for the first time we did buy portraits in Pixels from when the photographers trapped us. Got one of the fam in Cucina, one of the fam at one of the ports getting off, and one of the teen that was sort of a standard portrait in front of a non cruise backdrop (it was the gold shimmery background, but the key was the teen looked pretty good with a fairly natural and happy smile unlike the last 4 or 5 years of school photos)!

Edited by KmomChicago

20 hours ago, KmomChicago said:

Speaking of prints, for the first time we did buy portraits in Pixels from when the photographers trapped us. Got one of the fam in Cucina, one of the fam at one of the ports getting off, and one of the teen that was sort of a standard portrait in front of a non cruise backdrop (it was the gold shimmery background, but the key was the teen looked pretty good with a fairly natural and happy smile unlike the last 4 or 5 years of school photos)!

I hear you!  Gotta grab those pics when you can!

• Haha 1

On 9/10/2021 at 12:47 PM, KmomChicago said:

She was just taking after her mother in the school photos. 😉

On 8/9/2021 at 12:28 PM, KmomChicago said:

Book yes, lanyard no! What the heck? 😂

We will be on board for an October cruise and your review has provided such great information !!  

I know that the Fun Times is available via  the app now  but do you know if still possible to get a "paper" version??   Mom will be with us and always enjoys using the Tines to plan her day !!

4 minutes ago, HappySails4U said:

We will be on board for an October cruise and your review has provided such great information !!  

I know that the Fun Times is available via  the app now  but do you know if still possible to get a "paper" version??   Mom will be with us and always enjoys using the Tines to plan her day !!

There is an abbreviated, black and white, 2 sided paper copy available at Guest Sevices daily. Someone posted that some things would only be listed on the hub app; for example: tea time was only on the app under "Still Hungry,"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HappySails4U said:

Thanks for your kind words Happy Sails. Mondello is correct - I actually can't verify what was on the paper as we adjusted immediately to the app and didn't even pick any of them up.  All the menus are there as well; there are QR codes on little placards all over the ship with information like menus. If mom can use a smart phone she will quickly see the benefits.

• Haha 1

On 8/23/2021 at 7:38 AM, KmomChicago said:

MENU by POST NUMBER

Hear Ye, Hear Ye!  I finally got this stuff organized. While onboard I was posting in between having a great time and doing fun little recon missions per reader requests.  The menus I posted did not always necessarily correspond to what we were doing at the time of the post, so they are literally all over the place within this thread. 

Certain menu information was on the Hub App while onboard, and certain information came from scanning QR codes from little cards at each location.

Menus in this thread are from our Mardi Gras August 7, 2021 sailing and of course subject to change. Please note I did not post any menu information that seems readily available on the Carnival website or other good online sources. I tried to include certain menus specifically because pricing was available by scanning QR codes during the active cruise but not otherwise out there on the ol' interwebs.

Main Dining Room (Flamingo, YTD and Palm, early and late seating)

MDR Days 1 and 2, Post 322

MDR Day 3, Post 40

MDR Day 4, Post 119

MDR Day 5, Post 207

MDR Day 6, Post 276

MDR Day 7, Post 315

Other Menus Exclusive to Mardi Gras

Emeril’s Bistro 1396 with prices, Post 51

Emeril’s Bistro 1396 Market Prices for Seafood as of August 7 sailing, Post 63

Cucina del Capitano Lunch Menu, Post  67

Chibang! Lunch Menu, Post 68

Guy’s Pig and Anchor Smokehouse Dinner Menu (Complimentary on our Sailing), Post 88

Bar Menus with Pricing

Watering Hole Bar (Deck 8 Aft in Summer Landing, outdoors), Post 121

Parched Pig Brewhouse Bar Menu (Adjacent to Smokehouse), Post 123 and 124

RedFrog Tiki Bar, Post 159

Tides Bar, Post 257 I am not sure but I think this is also the general bar menu for bars without their own specialty drinks.

Not exactly a menu, but: Carnival Kitchen, Post 176.   (This is not my post.  It is from PC2425, and I think they borrowed it from someone on another MG thread.) I was interested in this activity but it was fully sold out by the time I got my bearings onboard. We stayed plenty busy even without this activity.

Fantastic comprehensive list !!    Much appreciated !!

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

TLDR: Yes this is a long sad tale. Now I am going to explain why I was so wiped out at the beginning of this cruise. When I started this thread it was already Day 3 of the cruise - I had been too overwhelmed to even think about a live review up until midday Monday.

We had FTTF on our two prior Carnival cruises and both times showed up about 9:30 and were about the first folks onboard after the hghfalutin' suites and tier levels, around 11am. Because of all the uncertainty about boarding, we chose a 1:30 time hoping to avoid bottlenecks during the first embark turnaround for Mardi Gras. So this was already going to get us on about 3 hours later than normal.

We dropped the bags with a porter at the parking garage. Dad had a Scootaround which we picked up easily enough and it allowed us to bypass the embark lines (not really fair, but he's a disabled Vietnam veteran so I know nobody really minds).  We got through the vaccine card check protocol and security pretty easily so no issues there. In fact I didn't really get a much of a look at the sleek new terminal because we moved through it so fast.  Dad was able to drive his scooter the whole way including the long gangway corridor. Again, no issues.

He had an accessible balcony cabin up on Deck 15. I separated from DH and teen to go help the parents get settled. We got up to their room and COULD NOT SHUT THE AUTOMATIC DOOR. I did not yet know about the automatic doors on the public bathrooms. We spent about 20 minutes before asking someone for help. A room steward told us we couldn't shut the door yet because the room was not ready. We had been told at check-in that it would be, and of course it was now about 2pm. This is the exact turnaround delay I was trying to avoid. We were asked to leave just for a little longer and it would be done. So my stepmom who had held on to one carry on bag, that was a lot heavier than I realized, and my dad and I, all headed down to my room, which I hadn't even been to yet. And we got off the forward elevators and went the wrong way, toward the starboard odd cabins (poorly marked) instead of the port even cabins. We walked quite a while, though dad was driving of course and I got us lost, and my stepmom got upset at one point because she was exhausted. 😞

We finally found my room and DH and teen in it, and they were kinda annoyed waiting for me to get back permanently so we could start adventuring, but I said I'd go back with the parents to their room. Dad took the bag on his scooter basket.  The room was now ready, as evidenced by the closed and locked door. And guess what happened next? Their room keys DID NOT WORK. Neither key. We found a steward who got a supervisor who let us in and said he was sorry but we needed to go to GS to get new keys. 

😐

I had left my phone and purse, everything but my S&S card in my room, so I couldn't call DH and DD, though I could have called from the room phone and did not think of it because I thought the GS visit would be quick. I told the parents to get settled in the room and I would go to GS. 

LONG LINE at GS. LOOOOOONNNNNNGGGG. And no FTTF this cruise, and I am just lowly red so had to wait with all the other chumps.  I was actually kinda near the front of it as it got much longer while I waited for about 20 or 30 minutes. Terrible layout for this space which is how a normal thinking person would get to the Summer Landing area except that it's also the queue area for GS. 

ANYHOO eventually I got them new keys and brought them up to them and went down to my own room by around 3:30 or 4 or something, and I really don't remember what else happened except that when we were getting cleaned up for our early steakhouse dinner the teen wanted to argue about clothes - the teen has an outrageous wardrobe that I normally support but asked for basic decency for JUST THIS ONE MEAL. But no, we had to argue because we are a teen and apparently this was the final straw because I do remember delivering the following at a VERY LOUD AND INTIMIDATING VOLUME: (SOME WORDS CHANGED TO PROTECT THE INNOCENT)

ALL RIGHT! THAT'S IT! I AM READY TO GET OFF THIS F(ORKIN)G SHIP RIGHT NOW AND HEAD STRAIGHT BACK TO THE AIRPORT AND FLY RIGHT BACK HOME! THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE MY G(OSH) D(ARN) BIRTHDAY CRUISE AND ALL I HAVE DONE FOR THE LAST THREE HOURS IS DEAL WITH OTHER PEOPLES' S(TUFF) AND I AM HAVING ZERO FUN AND I AM NEVER GOING ON ANOTHER VACATION WITH ANY OF YOU PEOPLE FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE! 

I told y'all I still battle my demons. Of course I don't remember the exact monologue but that's pretty close and the teen silently got dressed and we all walked silently to the steakhouse and thank goodness for the nice meal in the steakhouse which was the first fun I had on embarkation day.

7 minutes ago, KmomChicago said:

ALL RIGHT! THAT'S IT! I AM READY TO GET OFF THIS F(ORKIN)G SHIP RIGHT NOW AND HEAD STRAIGHT BACK TO THE AIRPORT AND FLY RIGHT BACK HOME! THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE MY G(OSH) D(ARN) BIRTHDAY CRUISE AND ALL I HAVE DONE FOR THE LAST THREE HOURS IS DEAL WITH OTHER PEOPLES' S(TUFF) AND I AM HAVING ZERO FUN AND I AM NEVER GOING ON ANOTHER VACATION WITH ANY OF YOU PEOPLE FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE!

Would have loved to have been a fly on the wall to hear this monologue live.  😄  Still remember to this day the one and only time I ever heard my Mother drop the F bomb. 

• Haha 1

It’s funny now. Travel ALWAYS has stress and issues. Mostly I do stay calm and work through it but, Jeez Louise, you know?? Everybody’s gotta poke the daggone bear. And poke. And poke. And. . . trust me, do not poke one more time.

I’ll explain later why the next day was also kinda off but it’s nothing so dramatic. Our normal biorhythm schedule just went off the rails.

• Like 1

I should perhaps clarify that the teen's outrageous wardrobe is not revealing or any kind of similar issue. More akin to say, a rodeo clown or perhaps some kind of Cosplay or perhaps multiple wild prints that clash in every conceivable manner. Like pink and green plaid with gray camo with red, white and blue tropical floral. 😐 

There are actually several themes / aesthetics to suit our teen moods, and many of them are adorable and funky and appropriate, if unique and eye-catching. But the stubborn little heels were digging into some ridiculous mess (I think it also included shorts which are not per steakhouse dress code) and I was just, COME ON, PLEASE!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KmomChicago said:

Everybody’s gotta poke the daggone bear. And poke. And poke. And. . . trust me, do not poke one more time.

Mental rolodex deposit...Kmom doesn't like to get poked three times.  This obviously takes the pressure off her DH. 🙄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@KmomChicago Your most excellent thread, the gift that keeps on giving. I'm no stalker but, I actually looked into cruising Legend for Christmas. Thought it would be neat to actually, possibly meet you and DH.    

Why should @Tom-n-Cheryl have all the fun. Didn't you meet him during the Cabin Crawl tour on Mardi Gras? I've actually been looking into Horizon between Christmas and New Years and 8 day Dream/Galveston for Spring Break. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, mondello said:

@KmomChicago Your most excellent thread, the gift that keeps on giving. I'm no stalker but, I actually looked into cruising Legend for Christmas. Thought it would be neat to actually, possibly meet you and DH.    

Why should @Tom-n-Cheryl have all the fun. Didn't you meet him during the Cabin Crawl tour on Mardi Gras? I've actually been looking into Horizon between Christmas and New Years and 8 day Dream/Galveston for Spring Break. 

@mondello, you should absolutely join us on the cruise, though I am sure the real life version of "moi" will pale compared to the avatar you know now. I'm about a thousand times cooler in theory than in practice, but I can attempt to behave myself in the right circumstances such as meeting a kindred spirit. It would be, as they say, a real hoot. 🙂 I fangirled a bit while passing Jay of ParoDeeJay early on MG (he was friendly and thanked me for recognizing him) but didn't want to bug them later, which turned out prudent as Dee tested positive midcruise - moments after the last time we saw them in Grand Central!!

I did meet @Tom-n-Cheryl and in fact, they identified me at that very first steakhouse dinner, mere moments after I had CALMED BACK DOWN thanks to the pleasure of being served a luxurious meal in plush surroundings by helpful people. As you note we met again during the cabin crawl which was AWESOME and of course I occasionally saw them (and others on the crawl) throughout the rest of the cruise. They are lovely, charming, friendly people and I am honored to have crossed paths. They also have a bajillion times more cruise experience than I do.

There's a high probability we will drive right past your home on our way to Baltimore. I'm not a huge fan of the I-80 route and think I'd prefer the south pass via Indy though it may be technically 15 minutes further. 

While I realize Horizon is a better ship than Legend, you're talking Miami, and that in between week was soooooo much more $$ than the week before and for what? It's the same cruise.  Where we are sitting today, I am just not going to fly during the holidays - between the crowds and the cost we are exceeding the drive option benefits.  If you sail with us, we will be glad to have you; if you do the awesome Horizon from Miami the following week, I will expect to follow along with you. 🙂

• Like 1

On 8/23/2021 at 7:17 AM, KmomChicago said:

Again Niinjacat I took your advice and booked the HMC cabana.  I didn't qualify for the discount but we decided for once to give it a try anyhow.  It's easy to drop over $100 pp on excursions anyway, and it's not like we can conveniently spend a day living like royalty on a gorgeous tropical beach every day so why not do it when the opportunity presents?  

You'll love the cabana.  It's one of Carnival's highest-rated excursions fleetwide and for good reason.  I've had one on every visit to HMC.  Then there was the time when I rented the $1,500 Private Oasis for our CruiseCritic roll call...and the port-visit was cancelled.  Had to get the money back in cash at Guest Services and wanted to hire an armed guard for the walk back to the stateroom.

On 8/23/2021 at 7:17 AM, KmomChicago said:

My mom is not sure she wants to hobble on and off of a tender or try to take her Scootaround to HMC.  However I read that a golf cart will take you from the dock to your cabana. Can anyone comment? She is mobile but somewhat unsteady and tires quickly.  I did not get the accessible cabana as it was not available on my planner. I assume that means it's already sold but perhaps I should be calling special services or someone. 

Unless things have changed, you can only request a particular cabana after boarding.  Since it's basically a land-rush, this is where having FTTF is key.  😄      You still might lose out to Diamonds and Plats, though.  

If anyone knows if it's possible to request Cabana #1 for a medical/ADA need in advance, please post that info.  

And a question....

In your excellent review, did you say that Cucina and Chibang were not open for lunch on embark day?   We were hoping to head to Cucina for the pasta bowl/bar thing, which we really enjoyed on the Vista and the Magic.  

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, KmomChicago said:

TLDR: Yes this is a long sad tale. Now I am going to explain why I was so wiped out at the beginning of this cruise. When I started this thread it was already Day 3 of the cruise - I had been too overwhelmed to even think about a live review up until midday Monday.

We had FTTF on our two prior Carnival cruises and both times showed up about 9:30 and were about the first folks onboard after the hghfalutin' suites and tier levels, around 11am. Because of all the uncertainty about boarding, we chose a 1:30 time hoping to avoid bottlenecks during the first embark turnaround for Mardi Gras. So this was already going to get us on about 3 hours later than normal.

We dropped the bags with a porter at the parking garage. Dad had a Scootaround which we picked up easily enough and it allowed us to bypass the embark lines (not really fair, but he's a disabled Vietnam veteran so I know nobody really minds).  We got through the vaccine card check protocol and security pretty easily so no issues there. In fact I didn't really get a much of a look at the sleek new terminal because we moved through it so fast.  Dad was able to drive his scooter the whole way including the long gangway corridor. Again, no issues.

He had an accessible balcony cabin up on Deck 15. I separated from DH and teen to go help the parents get settled. We got up to their room and COULD NOT SHUT THE AUTOMATIC DOOR. I did not yet know about the automatic doors on the public bathrooms. We spent about 20 minutes before asking someone for help. A room steward told us we couldn't shut the door yet because the room was not ready. We had been told at check-in that it would be, and of course it was now about 2pm. This is the exact turnaround delay I was trying to avoid. We were asked to leave just for a little longer and it would be done. So my stepmom who had held on to one carry on bag, that was a lot heavier than I realized, and my dad and I, all headed down to my room, which I hadn't even been to yet. And we got off the forward elevators and went the wrong way, toward the starboard odd cabins (poorly marked) instead of the port even cabins. We walked quite a while, though dad was driving of course and I got us lost, and my stepmom got upset at one point because she was exhausted. 😞

We finally found my room and DH and teen in it, and they were kinda annoyed waiting for me to get back permanently so we could start adventuring, but I said I'd go back with the parents to their room. Dad took the bag on his scooter basket.  The room was now ready, as evidenced by the closed and locked door. And guess what happened next? Their room keys DID NOT WORK. Neither key. We found a steward who got a supervisor who let us in and said he was sorry but we needed to go to GS to get new keys. 

😐

I had left my phone and purse, everything but my S&S card in my room, so I couldn't call DH and DD, though I could have called from the room phone and did not think of it because I thought the GS visit would be quick. I told the parents to get settled in the room and I would go to GS. 

LONG LINE at GS. LOOOOOONNNNNNGGGG. And no FTTF this cruise, and I am just lowly red so had to wait with all the other chumps.  I was actually kinda near the front of it as it got much longer while I waited for about 20 or 30 minutes. Terrible layout for this space which is how a normal thinking person would get to the Summer Landing area except that it's also the queue area for GS. 

ANYHOO eventually I got them new keys and brought them up to them and went down to my own room by around 3:30 or 4 or something, and I really don't remember what else happened except that when we were getting cleaned up for our early steakhouse dinner the teen wanted to argue about clothes - the teen has an outrageous wardrobe that I normally support but asked for basic decency for JUST THIS ONE MEAL. But no, we had to argue because we are a teen and apparently this was the final straw because I do remember delivering the following at a VERY LOUD AND INTIMIDATING VOLUME: (SOME WORDS CHANGED TO PROTECT THE INNOCENT)

I told y'all I still battle my demons. Of course I don't remember the exact monologue but that's pretty close and the teen silently got dressed and we all walked silently to the steakhouse and thank goodness for the nice meal in the steakhouse which was the first fun I had on embarkation day.

4 hours ago, Pellaz said:

You'll love the cabana.  It's one of Carnival's highest-rated excursions fleetwide and for good reason.  I've had one on every visit to HMC.  Then there was the time when I rented the $1,500 Private Oasis for our CruiseCritic roll call...and the port-visit was cancelled.  Had to get the money back in cash at Guest Services and wanted to hire an armed guard for the walk back to the stateroom.

Unless things have changed, you can only request a particular cabana after boarding.  Since it's basically a land-rush, this is where having FTTF is key.  😄      You still might lose out to Diamonds and Plats, though.  

If anyone knows if it's possible to request Cabana #1 for a medical/ADA need in advance, please post that info.  

And a question....

In your excellent review, did you say that Cucina and Chibang were not open for lunch on embark day?   We were hoping to head to Cucina for the pasta bowl/bar thing, which we really enjoyed on the Vista and the Magic.  

Hi, Pellaz. Thank you; this is helpful. Right now they are not offering FTTF. Mom and I, however, are staying in a Grand Suite so we may be able to get early boarding and try to beat some of the rush to the desk. Unfortunately I believe my husband and teen might then be stuck waiting longer in the terminal. 

All things considered I am thinking proximity to a bathroom might be of more concern than a strictly ADA compliant cabana. Mom can and does walk, but not fast or far. She has trouble with stairs but with help and time she can ascend and descend, and one of us will be with her at all times.  In any case I will definitely try to get to the proper authorities as early as possible on embarkation day. 

For your question, on my embarkation day I do not think they were open but cannot confirm 100%. The hub app did not indicate they were. However, remember we didn't get on the ship until nearly 2pm and then I was distracted for another couple of hours with issues, so it is possible we just missed it. . . and it was only the second sailing so could have changed by now.  Sorry for not being able to help more with that.