Custom Air - Who do I ask about unwanted flight changes?

lorimay

Sorry in advance - first time on Oceania. We made custom air requests that were accepted back in May. I have the confirmation from the custom air department. I went to check on the flights today and see that our flight on Alitalia to Rome has been moved to two days later than requested. Besides the fact we are meeting people there and have non-refundable hotel reservations, this is simply not what we requested.

Who do I contact to get this made right? And we won't be charged the deviation fee again will we? Thanks for the help!

8 minutes ago, lorimay said:

Sorry in advance - first time on Oceania. We made custom air requests that were accepted back in May. I have the confirmation from the custom air department. I went to check on the flights today and see that our flight on Alitalia to Rome has been moved to two days later than requested. Besides the fact we are meeting people there and have non-refundable hotel reservations, this is simply not what we requested.

Who do I contact to get this made right? And we won't be charged the deviation fee again will we? Thanks for the help!

I contacted Oceania about our flight when Lufthansa changed our flight. We didn't like the new seats and Oceania was very accommodating.  I emailed them at OCIcustomair@oceaniacruises.com and they fixed the problem very quickly. 

They did not charge us another deviation fee. 

By the way, I check my flights every week. We have flights with Delta and we've always had problems with them making changes. 

Edited by patty1955

4 minutes ago, patty1955 said:

I contacted Oceania about our flight when Lufthansa changed our flight. We didn't like the new seats and Oceania was very accommodating.  I emailed them at OCIcustomair@oceaniacruises.com and they fixed the problem very quickly. 

They did not charge us another deviation fee. 

By the way, I check my flights every week. We have flights with Delta and we've always had problems with them making changes. 

Thanks. I found that email address and sent them an email. Did some research and it looks like the non-stop from MIA - FCO that we confirmed isn't flying anymore except on the day we are now booked. I guess I need to see how else they can route us but I'm sure there aren't any other non-stops.

2 minutes ago, lorimay said:

Thanks. I found that email address and sent them an email. Did some research and it looks like the non-stop from MIA - FCO that we confirmed isn't flying anymore except on the day we are now booked. 

Between now and November it could all change again. Good luck!

2 minutes ago, lorimay said:

Since you did not make your own air purchase, any ticket changes will usually need to be made by whoever sold them to you (in this case, Oceania).

When you say “checked on the flights today,” are you referring to your actual Alitalia e-ticket locator number? It may be that your original flight no longer exists and you’re seeing the offered replacement.

I’m not familiar with Alitalia. But, I know United’s policy is to make an offered new itinerary but also allow you to reject it and request different flights or get a refund. (This is why it’s important to always sign up for whatever notification mechanism[s] is being used by the air carrier). 
FWIW: While we use a TA (direct or transferred from a “book onboard”) for cruises, we always take the O air credit and DIY.

BTW, before you call O about this, thoroughly familiarize yourself with your O ticket contract and T&Cs - particularly as regards “air.”

If you are using  a TA have them contact the air dept

Tell the new flights are not acceptable  & see  what O will offer  close to the dates times you requested

If the airline is no longer flying on the dates you had   hopefully they can find other carriers  that work for you

You may have to do a connection to arrive on the day you requested

I usually use https://matrix.itasoftware.com/   to check flights & options

We booked directly with Oceania so no TA involved. I checked the Alitalia record locator that was on my custom air itinerary. So it shows our passenger info, same flight but on a different day than we originally booked. The return on Lufthansa so far is the same. The flights are expensive so we decided to do Oceania custom air. I usually book my own. Kind of upset Oceania never reached out about the change. We live a couple of hours from Miami but figured it was worth the drive to get the nonstop. Now I may have to rethink. They also have us booked through Munich on the return from Venice with only an hour connection time. I’m not sure how that is going to work. 

I just posted a couple hours ago on how our United times and routings  got changed multiple times over the last two months before our cruise. I also pointed out that 22 on our cruise ( not us) got a huge change just days before their return flight. 

Flight schedules are extremely dynamic at present. It’s not pretty. Oceania has no control. We had booked our own flights and had little control. The airlines are dropping and merging flights like mad right up to departure. I thank God we didn’t do something stupid like booking Spirit Airlines for cheap seats!! 

if the anxiety level is too high, cancel! Things aren’t going to change much over the next year. The airlines are doing what they fill they must to survive. 

Oceania has no control. The airlines wag their tail and O, and its passengers try to hang on. The tail is not wagging that dog!

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, lorimay said:

We booked directly with Oceania so no TA involved. I checked the Alitalia record locator that was on my custom air itinerary. So it shows our passenger info, same flight but on a different day than we originally booked. The return on Lufthansa so far is the same. The flights are expensive so we decided to do Oceania custom air. I usually book my own. Kind of upset Oceania never reached out about the change. We live a couple of hours from Miami but figured it was worth the drive to get the nonstop. Now I may have to rethink. They also have us booked through Munich on the return from Venice with only an hour connection time. I’m not sure how that is going to work. 

1 hour layover? ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!

All you’ll need is the not-uncommon delay on the initial flight take-off and you are screwed.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

1 hour layover? ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!

All you’ll need is the not-uncommon delay on the initial flight take-off and you are screwed.

+1. Depending upon the airlines involved and the airport, if you come in on a domestic European flight and going out on an international flight, you may need to reclear security. You certainly don’t want to attempt FRA with an hour layover!!

32 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

+1. Depending upon the airlines involved and the airport, if you come in on a domestic European flight and going out on an international flight, you may need to reclear security. You certainly don’t want to attempt FRA with an hour layover!!

FWIW: With the understanding that we are VERY “conservative” when it comes to air arrangements (due in large part to many many intercontinental air miles pre-retirement), our general air tix purchase rules for intercontinental transit (from/to SFO home airport) include:

1. Preference for United Polaris class non-stop on United hardware (if available). 
2. If connection required, preference is for Star Alliance hubs with multiple options for ticket reassignment if schedule problems arise.

3. For SFO outbound flights before 3 PM, prior night hotel stay in Burlingame.

4. Trusted car service for transfer to/from SFO.

5. Pre-flight airport arrival (outbound/inbound) at least 3 hours prior to boarding.

6. If connecting flights are required, layovers of 3 hrs minimum. (BizClass tix provide lounge access).

7. Tix (entire itinerary) purchased direct from United. (“premier” customer service is a speed dial on my cell phone - they actually answer the phone!)

8. Outbound flights to embarkation port scheduled to allow at least two nights stay pre-Cruise. Same for any pre-Cruise land travel.

9. Inbound flights to SFO scheduled no less than six hours from target disembarkation time (if no post-Cruise land travel planned).

10. Trusted ground transfers (and local drivers) in all foreign locations.

Of course, being retired means we have great latitude with time away from home. And, because we almost always add pre/post cruise land travel, ground transport takes on an added significance.

In that latter respect, another “rule” (particularly for locations new to us) is to identify trusted/recommended guide services that provide tours and transfers custom arranged at a package price.

• Like 3

One other wrinkle specific to this itinerary - I don't know when you are flying (one post mentioned November?), but the current plans are that Alitalia will no longer exist after October 14. There will be a new state-owned airline called ITA (Italia Trasporto Aereo, or Italy Air Transport) taking over in its place. I have no idea as to what may happen to booked flights, quite possibly ITA will maintain the same schedule, but the implication in the AP story I read was that it would not.

It'd be a good idea to talk to someone at Oceania.

AP story from a couple of weeks ago: 

https://apnews.com/article/europe-business-alitalia-b3e41e3829440d4ca7ad71705caecd62

Great planning, but here’s a couple updates. We were on United Polaris BC flights. Most of the Lounges are in certain airports are totally closed, particularly overseas. In the US, the ones that are opened are being capacity limited. The airport may have three United/Polaris Lounges, for example, with only one being open. Your tickets won’t guarantee admission. Capacity control.

Airlines are cancelling and merging flights on an ongoing basis. That scheduled non stop can quickly become a 1-3 stop flight days before takeoff.

Right now, you do and hope for the best, and roll with what you get. Those 22 had a nonstop to Atlanta at about 11:00 ish. They end up on a one stop, with a long layover in Amsterdam, at 06:00. Most all of their connections were affected. We were a bit luckier. Our scheduled 12:25 went OK to Dulles ( not our original booking), but United had cancelled our connection, so our 2.5 hour layover became a 5.5 hour layover.Here today, gone tomorrow.

1 minute ago, pinotlover said:

Great planning, but here’s a couple updates. We were on United Polaris BC flights. Most of the Lounges are in certain airports are totally closed, particularly overseas. In the US, the ones that are opened are being capacity limited. The airport may have three United/Polaris Lounges, for example, with only one being open. Your tickets won’t guarantee admission. Capacity control.

Airlines are cancelling and merging flights on an ongoing basis. That scheduled non stop can quickly become a 1-3 stop flight days before takeoff.

Right now, you do and hope for the best, and roll with what you get. Those 22 had a nonstop to Atlanta at about 11:00 ish. They end up on a one stop, with a long layover in Amsterdam, at 06:00. Most all of their connections were affected. We were a bit luckier. Our scheduled 12:25 went OK to Dulles ( not our original booking), but United had cancelled our connection, so our 2.5 hour layover became a 5.5 hour layover.Here today, gone tomorrow.

Agree on the lounge closures.

We were at LAX yesterday and Polaris Lounge was closed.

I agree that constant vigilance of schedules is absolutely essential right now. This is one of the reasons why large hubs with multiple options for reticketing is so important.

I received excellent service from Custom Air today. I had sent an email last night and by the time I called this morning they had already given us a tentative new flight. No more Alitalia (thank you for the update on them btw) but also no more non-stop flight. Now we are scheduled American with a stop at JFK. I'm not unhappy except they wanted to charge us $600 more to use our local airport for the trip to JFK since it's a secondary gateway unlike MIA. Not worth the extra money. 

We had upgraded to premium economy and it looks like American's international premium economy is decent - we both are tall and need extra legroom for long flights. I would not have accepted premium economy on Delta. It's the worst.

Thanks again to everyone for the advice and help.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, lorimay said:

"...We had upgraded to premium economy and it looks like American's international premium economy is decent - we both are tall and need extra legroom for long flights. I would not have accepted premium economy on Delta. It's the worst..."

For US-based airlines, (with some variability, depending on which plane configuration you are on) American usually has the best premium economy seat. I have, however, been disappointed in their service several times, but mostly from the ground-based personnel and not the cabin crew (Full disclosure: I have friends who have worked as flight attendants and pilots for AA).

As for the worst, Delta is admittedly not worth the extra cost over their economy seats, but the one flight I had in premium economy on Aeroflot would have me running from the room screaming if one were to offer it to me again. (Plus, one would get the option of changing planes in Moscow when flying from Miami to Rome!)

2 hours ago, ExArkie said:

For US-based airlines, (with some variability, depending on which plane configuration you are on) American usually has the best premium economy seat. I have, however, been disappointed in their service several times, but mostly from the ground-based personnel and not the cabin crew (Full disclosure: I have friends who have worked as flight attendants and pilots for AA).

As for the worst, Delta is admittedly not worth the extra cost over their economy seats, but the one flight I had in premium economy on Aeroflot would have me running from the room screaming if one were to offer it to me again. (Plus, one would get the option of changing planes in Moscow when flying from Miami to Rome!)

Currently I think AA is only serving alcohol in First & Business. I know some don't care about this but it is a consideration when booking PE. I enjoy a couple of stiff drinks. Of course the room is the most important part. 

23 hours ago, lorimay said:

I know your situation has been settled, but for anyone else who might face this dilemma: One hour at Munich is NOT ENOUGH TIME.  I had that short connection years ago.  I let a TA handle the arrangements because we were in the middle of selling one house, buying another and planning a wedding.  Upon landing in Munich from Venice we had to transfer from one terminal to another, go through border control and security.  Running through the airport to make the next flight was not how I envisioned the end of my honeymoon.  Two lessons learned:

1. Book flights myself.

2. If I can't book them, pay close attention no matter what else is going on in life.

20 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Here is a question for speculation:  Could the lounges reopen after September FDA vaccine approval for vaxed guests only?  United is going forward with vaccinations for all employees.  Could such a requirement be coming for lounge access?

14 hours ago, ORV said:

Currently I think AA is only serving alcohol in First & Business. I know some don't care about this but it is a consideration when booking PE. I enjoy a couple of stiff drinks. Of course the room is the most important part. 

United serves alcohol in First Class also.