for those who are cruising this week Covid testing cost

joelheather

I live in a decent size city and all Walgreens and CVS locations said no appointments available (when I tried to schedule online).  So I called the the Walgreens my family has use in the past for covid testing.  They explained that they are doing covid tests for travel purposes, but appointments are very limited and must be made online.  So far, I've checked every day with no luck.  Fortunately, we can get covid tests at our local doctor's office (the results just take longer) so that will be our backup plan.

I agree, this can be stressful, especially when you have multiple family members flying across the country, and hope to know test results before leaving.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tallnthensome said:

So we shouldn’t answer yes to question one but just to number two? Just to clarify as I will be using CVS as well. 

We are getting tested at CVS tomorrow for Mardi Gras this weekend.  I answered yes to number 1 and no to the rest.  CVS specifically says no out of pocket cost. I had to provide our insurance information but my understanding is if insurance doesn’t cover it, the government does.

1 hour ago, Joe817 said:

I am going under the assumption that it is either free(no out of pocket expenses for us), or it's covered by our insurance. Either way, we pay nothing. 

I'll report back after our testing. 

Edit to add(and I don't know why I didn't say this in my post): when registering for our rapid test at CVS they required me to upload a scanned in copy of my insurance card, both front and back. And it was easy to do. 

3 minutes ago, Bermuda C said:

We just ours today at CVS. We are vaxed so we could get the Antigen (rapid).  Very easy, in an out in 5 minutes and got the results in 30.  No cost

Good to know! Thanks! 👍

45 minutes ago, Earthworm Jim said:

But you don't need to worry about my opinion. No one is denying travelers Covid tests. And if they tried, people would just claim they have symptoms to get tested.

I would do it in a heartbeat to vacation if required. There are more than enough tests available. If someone has so many symptoms they "had" to have a test, they already have it and need to stay home anyway. Others are taking it for work requirements. 

Just an FYI: We had appts at Walgreens that I set up as soon as they opened today for booking (2 days in advance). Our appts were cancelled last night due to them running out of tests. Thankfully, I had set up backup appts at a CVS that we will pass in our 8 hour drive to the port. Now just hoping they don't also run out of tests has my stomach in knots. 

We just ours today at CVS. We are vaxed so we could get the Antigen (rapid).  Very easy, in an out in 5 minutes and got the results in 30.  No cost

CVS called and they also direct you to their "MY Chart" where you have a digital record and you can also print it off.    I took my test at 9:50 and they called before 10:30

• Like 1

On 8/10/2021 at 8:52 AM, joelheather said:

Did anyone have to pay for a covid test out of pocket? We are all vaccinated and just need the whatever the minimum testing is. Was that covered too? 

Thanks.

Walgreens offers free testing, but you must make an online appointment. They even advertise it is free....even before and after travel testing. 

7 hours ago, Bostwick girl said:

I live in Northeast Florida, a hot spot. All the Walgreens and CVS that do testing show no appointments available for 2 weeks out. Our health department does testing, but only on Tuesdays and Thursdays so any of those are currently not open for me unless things change before our August 30 Magic cruise. I can go to the urgent care and get tested but charge is $50 unless you’ve been exposed.

You can only book your appointment up to 3 days in advance of when you need to be tested. That is why you are seeing no availability. 

5 hours ago, chasinraynbowz said:

I flew to Hawaii in June.  I had to pay $200 for a rapid test.  Hoping to find somewhere that doesn't cost an arm and a leg for our October cruise. 

Some states, like California, don't allow some types of testing. However, if you have a Walgreens, I've had several tests there with fast results with no fee.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Earthworm Jim said:

Certainly everyone should be able to get tested as they see fit. But if the reality is different, which it seems to be in some locations, who should take priority? I'd say someone who actually has enough symptoms to think they have Covid before travel purposes.

Testing for leisure travel is just as important as testing the symptomatic? If that's hill you want to fight on, I don't know what to tell you.

If anyone thought they would die in two weeks, they'd already be vaccinated. By the time some unvaccinated person comes down with symptoms, it's too late to to make that belated decision. Yeah, it would be great if everyone was vaccinated and testing capacity was unlimited, but unfortunately that's not the world we live in.

But you don't need to worry about my opinion. No one is denying travelers Covid tests. And if they tried, people would just claim they have symptoms to get tested.

I agree that testing for those who believe that they might have covid is a priority. However, if we are going to keep the economy from collapsing, travel is an important facet of that. Provided that there is enough available tests and testing locations, I feel that travel testing is a valid part of what is required to curb the spread.

• Like 3

On 8/10/2021 at 8:07 AM, dinoroger said:

CVS Free.

Did you answer yes about travel?  Did you answer yes about positive contact and/or symptoms?

Did your insurance kick back the cost later and you wound up owing CVS $139? 

My insurance, Cigna, confirmed they will not cover testing for travel.  Cruising on the 28th. My hot take is don't mention travel.  Answer affirmative about contact and symptoms.  Otherwise, risk paying full price.

Please feel free to refute, bc I'd like options.

Edited by arkaine23
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Bermuda C said:

CVS called and they also direct you to their "MY Chart" where you have a digital record and you can also print it off.    I took my test at 9:50 and they called before 10:30

Which boxes did you check? 

3 hours ago, Bermuda C said:

Is the My Chart something anyone can create an account for/log in to, (ie Canadians), just want to ensure we will be able to get a hard copy/print out from somewhere?  Thx in advance!

11 hours ago, Bostwick girl said:

I live in Northeast Florida, a hot spot. All the Walgreens and CVS that do testing show no appointments available for 2 weeks out. Our health department does testing, but only on Tuesdays and Thursdays so any of those are currently not open for me unless things change before our August 30 Magic cruise. I can go to the urgent care and get tested but charge is $50 unless you’ve been exposed.

Easy… you were exposed and you have a headache.. LOL

Just sayin…

• Like 1

Went to CVS for test this morning - no charge

i checked “for travel” when I made appt

got email after about after visit info and it said I was tested “for possible contact”

I just hope i get the results in time!

DH of friend i am going with is out of town working so he went to local ER- cost him $250 because they dont test for travel (probably to keep healthy people from clogging up the ER)

Edited by MoTex

6 hours ago, arkaine23 said:

Did you answer yes about travel?  Did you answer yes about positive contact and/or symptoms?

Did your insurance kick back the cost later and you wound up owing CVS $139? 

My insurance, Cigna, confirmed they will not cover testing for travel.  Cruising on the 28th. My hot take is don't mention travel.  Answer affirmative about contact and symptoms.  Otherwise, risk paying full price.

Please feel free to refute, bc I'd like options.

I did select travel and measurements to prevent the spread on the online form when selecting a test time. Insurance information was asked for when signing up but never used. A cost was never even brought up on the online process or in person. No credit card info was ever given or asked for. I did the rapid test so not sure if that matters. Got my results within 30 minutes. They labeled me a negative person but I find myself upbeat. 😉 

Edited by dinoroger
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 8/11/2021 at 11:36 AM, imallears said:

Some states, like California, don't allow some types of testing. However, if you have a Walgreens, I've had several tests there with fast results with no fee.

Do you  know which test  CA does not allow?  I live here and have not heard this before.  TIA

On 8/11/2021 at 6:57 AM, Bostwick girl said:

We just had the test and got results in 45 mins thru CVS. Insurance submitted online when we registered. I already printed the results. It was really easy. We leave Sat.

On 8/11/2021 at 11:58 AM, CruisingFromLA said:

To my understanding, insurance will not pay for the test for something that is not medically necessary (i.e. testing for voluntary travel). However, they will pay if you were potentially exposed to the virus because social distancing was not possible. Just answer yes to question 2 so that you will not be on the hook for the cost of the test.