Dine My Way & all new Dining questions since cruising restart!!

Host CJSKIDS

36 minutes ago, memoak said:

I have seen it at every meal. Some just walking in and trying to sit down. Others want to argue that since there are open tables they should be entitled to them

I guess I am never hanging around the entrance enough to notice as we just head on in to our table at dinner.  I like to pick the DR with RC/CC in it since it has most often been Deck 6 mid-ship.  Not that I would object to Deck 5.  Prefer them over Aft DR.

31 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

I guess I am never hanging around the entrance enough to notice as we just head on in to our table at dinner.  I like to pick the DR with RC/CC in it since it has most often been Deck 6 mid-ship.  Not that I would object to Deck 5.  Prefer them over Aft DR.

But for breakfast and lunch non reserve class all dining on the Crown is in the aft dining room on 6

2 minutes ago, memoak said:

But for breakfast and lunch non reserve class all dining on the Crown is in the aft dining room on 6

Understood.  It seems the DRO's have been relocating Reserve sections on various ships.  I have seen and read of a number of variances from the previous expected Deck 6 Port side on the 3 DR ships.  On Island last November it had changed DR's from what it was in 2018 IIRC.

Currently on the Regal, with DMW reservations made a year ago, for a private table for 2, different times most nights.  We've been asked each night if we wanted to share a table, and when we say no, there's usually a wait, sometimes 15 minutes or more. 

It was explained to me last night that after people have asked for a set table every night, it just leaves 8-2 tops (I presume for around the time we've been coming in) to satisfy the rest of us with reservations, as well as those without reservations that want a 2 top. 

Something I observed tonight that kind of irked me, is that while we were waiting, we saw a 2 top already set, with a menu standing on it, which indicates it's being held for a set time/set table guest.  We finally got seated next to it, had our apps, our mains, with not terribly quick service, and that table was finally seated around the time our desserts arrived.

That table could have been used to serve another party of 2, yet sat empty through just about an entire service.  This can't possibly be the most efficient use of the dining rooms, and I can't believe there haven't been changes made.  Frankly, there should be no requesting a set table every night.  It should be you show up at your reserved time and are sat at the next available table.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, julie3fan said:

Currently on the Regal, with DMW reservations made a year ago, for a private table for 2, different times most nights.  We've been asked each night if we wanted to share a table, and when we say no, there's usually a wait, sometimes 15 minutes or more. 

It was explained to me last night that after people have asked for a set table every night, it just leaves 8-2 tops (I presume for around the time we've been coming in) to satisfy the rest of us with reservations, as well as those without reservations that want a 2 top. 

Something I observed tonight that kind of irked me, is that while we were waiting, we saw a 2 top already set, with a menu standing on it, which indicates it's being held for a set time/set table guest.  We finally got seated next to it, had our apps, our mains, with not terribly quick service, and that table was finally seated around the time our desserts arrived.

That table could have been used to serve another party of 2, yet sat empty through just about an entire service.  This can't possibly be the most efficient use of the dining rooms, and I can't believe there haven't been changes made.  Frankly, there should be no requesting a set table every night.  It should be you show up at your reserved time and are sat at the next available table.

I agree completely, that was my first thought when I heard you could reserve a specific table. Dining room should not hold a reservation at the expense of a waiting passenger. BTW see my comment that Symphony on Royal is listed as 'Anytime - No Reservation needed'. I wonder if they allow reservations there. It would make sense if they didn’t allow them to alleviate your problem. Did you ask if you could reserve your table at original time?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, julie3fan said:

Was one of the other 2 DR's a better alternative?  Anyone without a res should be prepared to wait at busy time for a 2-top.  Seems you have a point about that table sitting unused for too long a time.  Do you know what their reserved time was compared to when they arrived?  DR Mgmt shouldn't be holding tables more than 10 minutes past booked time.

IMO, Princess promises the TD experience and ought to be delivering on it.  Also, land restaurants manage to block tables for reservations and handle some walk-ins (unless full) and not waste valuable table space which affects revenue.  IDK why the ships cannot figure it out.  I do think some ships do it better than others.

With you having different times by the nights, you wouldn't be blocked into a fixed table with same waiters anyway.  Hope your experience improves.  We had a good experience on Regal last October.  IDK if Nicola is on board or on a break, but he is a great DRO and would try and help.  But you have varying times as you mentioned, so not sure what solution is best for you.  There may have been a high demand for Private table option for two people on your voyage and that fills tables.  Did you mean 8 open in your DR or across all three DR's?

• Like 1

Just off the Caribbean Princess.  We had reservations for a table for 2 every night.  One night they put us at a table in the dark.  I choked on small chicken bones which I could not see.  After that, we refused that table though they tried to sit us there three more times.  Asked for the table next door which had a light above it.  Were told the table was already taken.  We finished our meal at a different table with a light and that table was still empty.  

18 hours ago, Tedferg said:

Did you ask if you could reserve your table at original time?

I have varying times, so that wouldn't work, plus I feel that kind of defeats the new, though not improved, concept Princess is trying.

15 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Was one of the other 2 DR's a better alternative? 

I don't know, as we show up for the reservations I made in good faith.  Had they requested we move our reservations to another DR, it wouldn't have bothered me in the least.

Do you know what their reserved time was compared to when they arrived?  DR Mgmt shouldn't be holding tables more than 10 minutes past booked time.

I didn't ask as it wasn't my business.  And I agree that 10 minutes is more than adequate to show up for ones requested dining times.

With you having different times by the nights, you wouldn't be blocked into a fixed table with same waiters anyway. 

I've never asked for a fixed table.  I'm happy getting a table type and time as reserved, even if it means going to a different DR.

Did you mean 8 open in your DR or across all three DR's?

I presumed just in that DR, based on the multi-color highlighted paper seating chart the host showed me.  Why that process isn't automated is beyond me. 🙄

• Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, julie3fan said:

I presumed just in that DR, based on the multi-color highlighted paper seating chart the host showed me.  Why that process isn't automated is beyond me. 🙄

Maybe the DRO is "old school".  I was on two ships last Fall and they had tablets with what I would call the ship's master DMW App where they could setup or change reservations.  It was obvious that the younger hosts were the tech-savvy users versus the older generation managers.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Maybe the DRO is "old school".  I was on two ships last Fall and they had tablets with what I would call the ship's master DMW App where they could setup or change reservations.  It was obvious that the younger hosts were the tech-savvy users versus the older generation managers.

The DRO should not be "old school" and doing it his way vs. the Princess way. What's the purpose of a brand if there is no brand standard and everyone does it their own way. It's no different than why I stay in Hilton family or Marriott family hotels - both of them enforce brand standards on their franchisees while many other hotel families seem to leave it up to their franchisees to decide which parts of the brand they want to follow and which parts they want to ignore. Some of those Hilton or Marriott brands aren't fancy but they are consistent and I know what I will get when I book one of those.

3 hours ago, lstone19 said:

The DRO should not be "old school" and doing it his way vs. the Princess way. What's the purpose of a brand if there is no brand standard and everyone does it their own way. It's no different than why I stay in Hilton family or Marriott family hotels - both of them enforce brand standards on their franchisees while many other hotel families seem to leave it up to their franchisees to decide which parts of the brand they want to follow and which parts they want to ignore. Some of those Hilton or Marriott brands aren't fancy but they are consistent and I know what I will get when I book one of those.

Heard.  I wasn't trying to excuse him if that is what was going on.  I did use the word "maybe".

1 minute ago, Steelers36 said:

Heard.  I wasn't trying to excuse him if that is what was going on.  I did use the word "maybe".

I didn't think you were trying to excuse it, just explain it. Lack of brand standards being enforced is a problem in a lot of industries but is particularly prevalent where many work far out of sight of higher ups which makes it particularly a problem in the travel industry (I'm retired from an airline so I saw it a lot, particularly when I knew people weren't doing it right).

In other topics, many have expressed the opinion that the captain is not important to the cruise experience as his primary just is the safe navigation of the ship. I have disagreed. As the master of the ship, the captain represents the ship's owner and sets the expectation. When the captain makes it clear that following brand standards will happen, it makes for a good cruise. When he doesn't and the the next person responsible for the passenger experience, the Hotel GM, does not as well, service slips rapidly.

Back to the topic at hand, on one of my Princess cruises, I've seen the DRO and Executive Chef inspecting the buffet as well as the Hotel GM just sitting in a bar observing. It was one of my better cruises and I have no doubts it's because leadership was visibly keeping an eye on the operation.

• Like 2

On 10/12/2023 at 11:13 PM, julie3fan said:

That is my concern about the reservation system, it leaves tables empty and therefore reduces the number of passengers that can use that restaurant.

But I don't have a solution, because I don't believe that the new big cruise ships  have anywhere near the dining room capacity to seat everyone who wants to use the MDR over the 3-4 hour period they are open.

I realise there are alternatives but the majority of passengers still want to use the MDRs for dinner for the majority of the time.

• Like 3

On 10/13/2023 at 6:56 PM, lstone19 said:

As the master of the ship, the captain represents the ship's owner and sets the expectation. When the captain makes it clear that following brand standards will happen, it makes for a good cruise. When he doesn't and the the next person responsible for the passenger experience, the Hotel GM, does not as well, service slips rapidly.

Spot on

I just booked a transatlantic cruise on Sky Princess, leaving in about 3 weeks (basic fare/no Plus or anything/interior cabin). This will be my first cruise on Princess (plenty on other lines though) and I am a bit confused about the dining process.

I have looked at the Medallion app (lots of slots are booked up) and am still unsure how to proceed.

I did look through this thread and have a basic understanding but want to make sure I am not way off, especially as there have been a number of changes lately.

I would ideally have liked the "old" traditional seating (same shared table every day) but don't think that is still available. I will be traveling solo and I am fine with either sitting on my own or at a shared table. 

I would kind of like to make reservations but the activities don't seem to have loaded yet and if it is a different table every time anyway I guess I would rather stay flexible.

So if I just show up for dinner at one of the main dining rooms whenever I feel like it they should seat me, correct? Any disadvantage to this?

1 hour ago, Twolittleboys said:

I just booked a transatlantic cruise on Sky Princess, leaving in about 3 weeks (basic fare/no Plus or anything/interior cabin). This will be my first cruise on Princess (plenty on other lines though) and I am a bit confused about the dining process.

I have looked at the Medallion app (lots of slots are booked up) and am still unsure how to proceed.

I did look through this thread and have a basic understanding but want to make sure I am not way off, especially as there have been a number of changes lately.

I would ideally have liked the "old" traditional seating (same shared table every day) but don't think that is still available. I will be traveling solo and I am fine with either sitting on my own or at a shared table. 

I would kind of like to make reservations but the activities don't seem to have loaded yet and if it is a different table every time anyway I guess I would rather stay flexible.

So if I just show up for dinner at one of the main dining rooms whenever I feel like it they should seat me, correct? Any disadvantage to this?

They will seat you IF there is a table available.  To guarantee you will have a table when you want it, will you need reservations.

38 minutes ago, HotRoot said:

They will seat you IF there is a table available.  To guarantee you will have a table when you want it, will you need reservations.

Hm, so what does that mean exactly? Does it mean I may have to wait 10 or 20 minutes for a table or will I have to eat at the buffet if I have no reservation?

8 minutes ago, Twolittleboys said:

Hm, so what does that mean exactly? Does it mean I may have to wait 10 or 20 minutes for a table or will I have to eat at the buffet if I have no reservation?

Yes you may need to wait especially if you like to eat early. Just off the Crown and there were people lining up for dinner well before 5. More tables looked to be available after 7:30 or 8

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, HotRoot said:

We always had reservations.  There was a line for people with reservations and one for people without.  The wait time was different every night.  Anywhere between 10 minutes and 90 minutes.

Those 90 minutes would be without a reservation, right?

Was on the Emerald Princess a few weeks ago. Traveling solo, no dinner reservations. First night I appeared at the dining room at about 6 pm, told the maitre d that I was solo, wanted to share a table. Stood there for about 5 minutes, he paired me up with a group of four other solo women. We were seated. First night went very well. When we exited, told maitre d that we wanted to dine together each night at about 6:20. Easy peasy. Each night we appeared and the five of us were seated at a table for six. The location and waiter were different each night, but the time and tablemates remained constant. There was a significant wait each night for those who were unwilling to share.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, HotRoot said:

Currently on the Regal, and I can tell you that even *with* a reservation, we've had to wait most nights.

• Thanks 1