Dine My Way & all new Dining questions since cruising restart!!

Host CJSKIDS

13 minutes ago, MississippiMom said:

My sentiments, exactly.  How do we know "when" we would like to eat, when we have never sailed Princess nor have seen their evening schedules? 

It's been a VERY long time ago, but we loved the way it worked with NCL, especially with young children, because you never knew what time was going to be best to eat as a family.

Main showtimes in the theater are 7:30pm and 9:30pm - mostly.  Could be shifted 1/2 hr later on Euro itineraries.  Some headliner shows may be set 15 min off the preceding.  In addition, there are other entertainment experiences scheduled at various times - but a ship will often have a discernable pattern to these once you see a couple of schedules on board (formerly the Princess Patter). 

So, figure out how much time you want for dinner (at least budget an hour), plus how much ahead of time you want to be in the theater, and book accordingly.  Or, do walk-up if you prefer.  If you book and are totally wrong for what you want to do, then you can work with DR Hosts and make changes.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Main showtimes in the theater are 7:30pm and 9:30pm - mostly.  Could be shifted 1/2 hr later on Euro itineraries.  Some headliner shows may be set 15 min off the preceding.  In addition, there are other entertainment experiences scheduled at various times - but a ship will often have a discernable pattern to these once you see a couple of schedules on board (formerly the Princess Patter). 

So, figure out how much time you want for dinner (at least budget an hour), plus how much ahead of time you want to be in the theater, and book accordingly.  Or, do walk-up if you prefer.  If you book and are totally wrong for what you want to do, then you can work with DR Hosts and make changes.

One of things we lost with the end of traditional dining is showtimes and other evening activities that were timed to fit with the traditional dining times. Now it's lots of evening activities and hope that your chosen dining time fits with what you want to do and hope you can change dining times if needed. For us, the loss of that is taken away some of the enjoyment of cruising since it makes planning your time more stressful.

Edited by lstone19
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, lstone19 said:

One of things we lost with the end of traditional dining is showtimes and other evening activities that were timed to fit with the traditional dining times. Now it's lots of evening activities and hope that your chosen dining time fits with what you want to do and hope you can change dining times if needed. For us, the loss of that is taken away some of the enjoyment of cruising since it makes planning your time more stressful.

IMO, the evening schedule is not all that different from pre-DMW times.  Maybe more things to choose from, but the basic structure pretty similar.

• Like 2

On 10/16/2023 at 12:55 PM, Twolittleboys said:

Hm, so what does that mean exactly? Does it mean I may have to wait 10 or 20 minutes for a table or will I have to eat at the buffet if I have no reservation?

It means you will get a table.  Wait times will vary from almost none to 20 minutes or so.  This is largely dependent on when you get there.  Early times are usually much more crowded.   Also less wait normally if you will share a table.  We usually eat around 8 and have not much of a wait; we ask for a table for two when alone and dont make reservations.  You may be given a pager if wait times are long.  I don't think we've ever waited 20 minutes.

I'm cruising solo and interested in a shared table. But i'm wondering what happens if you request a shared table and no one wants to share. Would you be put at a private table? I'm concerned i wouldn't have any table at all. It also appears that even that its more than a year out i can book dining and i'm not sure its worth booking this early. Sorry i haven't read this whole huge long thread!

15 minutes ago, latebuyer said:

I'm cruising solo and interested in a shared table. But i'm wondering what happens if you request a shared table and no one wants to share. Would you be put at a private table? I'm concerned i wouldn't have any table at all. It also appears that even that its more than a year out i can book dining and i'm not sure its worth booking this early. Sorry i haven't read this whole huge long thread!

Believe me you can get a table without a reservation but if you choose to go at popular times you may have to wait a little

• Like 1

Apologies if this has been answered already - we have our first post-covid cruise coming up in a couple of months and we have selected our table (for 2) and time in the app - how does this work in practice, do you still have to queue or are there queues for those who have booked and those who have not? we have selected an early dining time so theoretically shouldn't be a wait, but wondered how it actually works out now.

You queue the first night with others that have reservations at the same time in order to be shown to your table.  If you like the table and wait staff and want to keep it for the rest of the cruise, be sure to tell the host/hostess when leaving the MDR after dinner.  In our experience on 4 post-covid cruises after the first night then you just go to your table.

4 minutes ago, capriccio said:

You queue the first night with others that have reservations at the same time in order to be shown to your table.  If you like the table and wait staff and want to keep it for the rest of the cruise, be sure to tell the host/hostess when leaving the MDR after dinner.  In our experience on 4 post-covid cruises after the first night then you just go to your table.

Thanks, very helpful!

We are cruising for the very first time in March this year and must say I am finding it very frustrating trying to book dining via the Medallion app.

Are the three main dining rooms all serving the same food? At first we'd rather sit at a table for two until we feel more confident about the way dining /eating works onboard. (I am sociable - he says 'chatterbox' - and I am afraid I won't be able to enjoy my food as I'd be happy to chat during the meal. I am a slow eater at the best of times.) Getting a table for two is proving difficult with restricted times being shown.

I have also no idea if we will miss shows and evening entertainment because we are stuck in a dining room, and wondering if the flexible way just turning up at the other eateries might suit us best.

I dare say all will be clear once we are on the ship and finding out how it works but it would seem that tables for two are not easy to secure. I have made three evening bookings via the app...Twice I had to accept times that weren't my first choice. Not sure I'll book any more.

On 11/15/2023 at 12:47 PM, Steelers36 said:

As for the Plus Cruise Fare option  -----   Consider that Crew Appreciation is $16/day.  If you are going to be buying the Medallion Net internet package, that is $15/day.  That leaves $29/day for other things, but most people focus on the beverage package portion to see if the value is there based on how many and what type of drinks they have.

The new Starlink internet has restored good, reliable internet and you should be able to stream in most cases.  BTW, "Wifi" is just the wireless connection between your device and ship access points and there are plenty of those.  The Princess App runs on ship INTRAnet which is free and connections are good all over ship.

And one other point as some folks do not realize it - the 15 drink limit applies to drinks with alcohol in them.  There is no limit for non-alcohol drinks.  Lots of guests report picking up a couple of bottles of water when passing bars in order to have a supply in the cabin or to take off ship in port.  Once again, though, you should not be grabbing these to give to someone else on the ship.

Thank you very much for that information. Again, this question does not pertain to the topic of dining but we wonder if a basic package, without the Medallion extras is all we needed?

Why if the internet throughout the ship is free are we being charged £15 per person per day with the Medallion? I am confused.

Didn't realise all drinks other than alcoholic drinks were free. There is no real explanation for first timers offered by the Cruise line of what you get included. I am new to cruising and no way will I drink 15 alcoholic  drinks in a day - unless I start very early and get a liking for doubles - which I'll feel obliged to do, to get my money's worth! 🙂

I have been encouraged to download the app to my phone and book our evening dining arrangements, and as mentioned in another thread it looks as if private dining (a table for two) is very popular as I have not been able to secure the times we'd like to eat. It is all very confusing, I must say.

I suspect all will become clear once we board, but having to book eating/entertainment in advance is tricky. Circumstances, energy levels, weather, activity, etc, etc, change and what seems good booked in advance might not be ideal when the time comes..

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lady Bordeaux said:

Thank you very much for that information. Again, this question does not pertain to the topic of dining but we wonder if a basic package, without the Medallion extras is all we needed?

Why if the internet throughout the ship is free are we being charged £15 per person per day with the Medallion? I am confused.

Didn't realise all drinks other than alcoholic drinks were free. There is no real explanation for first timers offered by the Cruise line of what you get included. I am new to cruising and no way will I drink 15 alcoholic  drinks in a day - unless I start very early and get a liking for doubles - which I'll feel obliged to do, to get my money's worth! 🙂

I have been encouraged to download the app to my phone and book our evening dining arrangements, and as mentioned in another thread it looks as if private dining (a table for two) is very popular as I have not been able to secure the times we'd like to eat. It is all very confusing, I must say.

I suspect all will become clear once we board, but having to book eating/entertainment in advance is tricky. Circumstances, energy levels, weather, activity, etc, etc, change and what seems good booked in advance might not be ideal when the time comes..

Welcome to Cruise Critic and Princess Forum.

To clear up some misconceptions.  The internet is not free on Princess ships - nor any other mainline cruise options.  The INTRAnet is free - the things you might do online via an App that relate to ship activities, schedule, reservations, checking cabin folio account, locating cabinmates or friends, or ordering an Internet plan.  In order to do email, surf the web, etc, you need an INTERnet plan. 

Also, not all non-alcoholic drinks are free.  You can get a glass of water free anywhere, anytime, but not a bottle.  You have choice of juices at breakfast.  Coffee and tea are served free when dining, but not from bars or International Cafe.  You can get coffee or tea in the buffet when it is open.  Soda is not free.  Mocktails are not free.

Princess is fine with walk-ups for dining in the main dining rooms (MDR, DR).  If you are not sure when you want to eat, you can go that way.  Some times are quite popular.  It can take a bit of a wait for a private table at peak times.  If you do want to get a private table at certain time or times, ask a DR host to see if they can book you in and helps if you do not care which DR they put you in.  You can call Dine Line or use the App on board to book dining.

PS - The Medallion replaced the key card and serves to identify you and open cabin door.  It has nothing to do with using the internet.  

Edited by Steelers36
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

PS - The Medallion replaced the key card and serves to identify you and open cabin door.  It has nothing to do with using the internet.  

Except that Princess became so enamored of "Medallion" that at the same time they moved from keycards to medallions, they renamed the onboard Internet access MedallionNet and created a lot of confusion as it implied that the medallion had something to do with Internet access.

And regarding what Steelers36 said about Internet vs. Intranet, another source of confusion everywhere is people who use "WiFi" as a synonym for Internet access. WiFi is just the technology that allows a device to connect wirelessly to a network. It is the equivalent of plugging in an Ethernet cable to a wired device. What you can then access depends on what that network is connected to. So on the ship (and on planes), as Steelers36 said, anyone can connect their device via WiFi to the onboard network and then access things locally on the ship. But to go outside the ship requires purchasing Internet access (including having it included in a package) - but note that even without purchasing the plan, you can get to outside sites like princess.com (the same as on a plane where you can usually get to the airline's website and the airline's app works without purchasing Internet access). 

• Like 4

"must say I am finding it very frustrating"

Lady Bordeaux, let me suggest that you don't need to worry too much about the dining reservations. Perhaps keep the ones you've already made. You can delete them, change them or add to them once onboard, or you can simply engage in improvisational relaxation. You don't need reservations at all, but if you want a consistent routine, communicate with a head waiter early on in the cruise. Nor do you sound like a good fit for one of the upsell packages. You can change your mind about that onboard as well. There's a growing number of customers who find the pre-cruise process maddening. Don't join them. Just show up at the pier with your passport and proof of purchase. You'll have a great time!

"Except that Princess became so enamored of "Medallion" that at the same time they moved from keycards to medallions, they renamed ..."

I'm surprised, lstone, that they didn't name one of their new ships the Medallion Princess. Can you imagine how far behind schedule that inaugural cruise would be? Nothing would work right, then it would catch fire, hit an iceberg and sink.

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

7 hours ago, Lady Bordeaux said:

3 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Welcome to Cruise Critic and Princess Forum.

To clear up some misconceptions.  The internet is not free on Princess ships - nor any other mainline cruise options.  The INTRAnet is free - the things you might do online via an App that relate to ship activities, schedule, reservations, checking cabin folio account, locating cabinmates or friends, or ordering an Internet plan.  In order to do email, surf the web, etc, you need an INTERnet plan. 

Also, not all non-alcoholic drinks are free.  You can get a glass of water free anywhere, anytime, but not a bottle.  You have choice of juices at breakfast.  Coffee and tea are served free when dining, but not from bars or International Cafe.  You can get coffee or tea in the buffet when it is open.  Soda is not free.  Mocktails are not free.

Princess is fine with walk-ups for dining in the main dining rooms (MDR, DR).  If you are not sure when you want to eat, you can go that way.  Some times are quite popular.  It can take a bit of a wait for a private table at peak times.  If you do want to get a private table at certain time or times, ask a DR host to see if they can book you in and helps if you do not care which DR they put you in.  You can call Dine Line or use the App on board to book dining.

AND you should also know that with the Plus package it covers the room service charge (I think it's 5.95 per delivery if you order on the phone) and the delivery charge (14.99 per cruise) to order food or drink delivered to you via the Medallion anywhere on the ship.

Edited by chamima
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, Lady Bordeaux said:

The 15 alcoholic drinks a day is a limit to keep people from getting too drunk (and probably Princess from going bankrupt LOL). You do not have to drink 15 drinks a day to get value out of a package. Since soda, bottled water, juices (except in the MDR at breakfast), mocktails, and fancy coffee drinks cost money, you don't have to drink much alcohol at all before you break even.

To answer some of your other questions:

1) The food served in all the MDRs are the same.

2) Shows tend to be at 7:30 and 9:30 (but sometimes 8 and 10) so you can make your reservations around that.

3) You don't need reservations but usually, the line for people without them is longer (assuming there even is a line at the time you want to dine).

I have cruised before but the last time was in 1999 and cruising is WAY different now. In particular, when we last cruised all non-alcoholic drinks were free and there were 2 dinner times, no buffet, 1 specialty restaurant and no "casual" dining. So I did a lot of research (reading here and elsewhere, and watching YouTube videos from cruisers). Then I made a reservation for 2 at 5:30 pm in one particular MDR for the entire cruise ahead of time. (That's about when we normally eat and it allows us 2 shots at the show.)

BUT when on the ship, we will not always have dinner in the MDR and not always at 5:30 pm. Once we see the daily activities and get some reservations in "extra" dining locations we want to try, we will move some of them around. We will also try the buffet at least once but probably more often as I like buffets. However, in general, our preference is for the MDR for dinner because the food is normally better and fancier and because specialty and casual dining costs extra.

IOW the reservation is just to put a stake in the ground to plan around and (hopefully) wait less to get into the MDR.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MacMadame said:

The 15 alcoholic drinks a day is a limit to keep people from getting too drunk (and probably Princess from going bankrupt LOL).

On our recent cruises in Australia and New Zealand I was appalled to find that nobody cared how many drinks a person had. People were allowed to use drinks from other people's packages. For example: If you had a package and only drank 4 drinks in a day the bar staff was perfectly happy to let you "give" the rest of "your" drinks to anybody else you liked. I met one man who had consumed all of his drinks and a great many of his spouse's drinks and some drinks from his friend's package. Yes, he was quite drunk. It used to be that "sharing" was not allowed but, at least on our recent cruises, it was accepted without question.

On 1/28/2024 at 11:02 PM, MacMadame said:

Then I made a reservation for 2 at 5:30 pm in one particular MDR for the entire cruise ahead of time. (That's about when we normally eat and it allows us 2 shots at the show.)

We did similar for 6:20 each night for table for 2. We plan to sit at a share table a few nights. I'm guessing that the hostess will happily to swap us on those evenings, as there likely will be diners waiting for 2 tops. 

• Like 1

On 1/29/2024 at 1:21 AM, Thrak said:

On our recent cruises in Australia and New Zealand I was appalled to find that nobody cared how many drinks a person had. People were allowed to use drinks from other people's packages. For example: If you had a package and only drank 4 drinks in a day the bar staff was perfectly happy to let you "give" the rest of "your" drinks to anybody else you liked. I met one man who had consumed all of his drinks and a great many of his spouse's drinks and some drinks from his friend's package. Yes, he was quite drunk. It used to be that "sharing" was not allowed but, at least on our recent cruises, it was accepted without question.

I’m wondering if it was either Australia or just your particular cruise. 
We were on the recent Sapphire 32 day LA- Tahiti cruise ( that I think we did with you about 4 years ago) and hung out at the Wheelhouse because of the absolutely wonderful crew ( kudos to David and Jean!!!!) there and there were 3 people every night who would show up around 10 and ask how many they had left ( it was usually 2 or 3) and then proceed to consume those few. BTW - none of them ever appeared to be at all intoxicated, which I found amazing. 
So at least in the Sapphire the 15 drink limit was upheld. 

32 minutes ago, chamima said:

I’m wondering if it was either Australia or just your particular cruise. 
We were on the recent Sapphire 32 day LA- Tahiti cruise ( that I think we did with you about 4 years ago) and hung out at the Wheelhouse because of the absolutely wonderful crew ( kudos to David and Jean!!!!) there and there were 3 people every night who would show up around 10 and ask how many they had left ( it was usually 2 or 3) and then proceed to consume those few. BTW - none of them ever appeared to be at all intoxicated, which I found amazing. 
So at least in the Sapphire the 15 drink limit was upheld. 

Did no one tell them they could see drinks used in the app. ?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, HleeCruiser said:

We have Reserve Collection dining for the first time.  What hours and which dining room is available for this service?  Is it available B. L. D. on all days?  We are on the Regal Princess.

Thank you,

Henry

Breakfast and dinner every day. Lunch is only served on sea days not port days

• Like 2