Sailing out of NY

1 minute ago, JamieLogical said:

Trust me, I thought about it a LOT this morning because I was worried about the implications for our B2B. It's not clear to me if we will need separate travel authorizations for each week and I was freaking out about how to get the authorization for our second week while still onboard our first week sailing. But then I realized we arrive in Bermuda on Wednesday. Bermuda will be administering PCR tests to all passengers in order for us to get off the ship. I should be able to use the results from THAT test for my second week's authorization, if necessary.

So that begs the question of how long it takes to get results in Bermuda for the PCR test?  Are we going to have to wait 48 hours before we can get off the ship?

Just now, quillwercruisers said:

So that begs the question of how long it takes to get results in Bermuda for the PCR test?  Are we going to have to wait 48 hours before we can get off the ship?

My assumption is that they do rapid PCR testing like they have been doing at the airport there for travelers who arrive by plane. Not clear how long it will take to get everyone tested and get the results back. Do we have to wait for everyone's results before anyone can get off? I am just going to plan to not be able to get off the ship that first evening. Will save any booked excursions for the other days.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, quillwercruisers said:

We go on 10/3.  If we have to wait to get off the ship for even 1 day waiting for results that would be horrible. 

• Like 1

Just now, JamieLogical said:

My assumption is that they do rapid PCR testing like they have been doing at the airport there for travelers who arrive by plane. Not clear how long it will take to get everyone tested and get the results back. Do we have to wait for everyone's results before anyone can get off? I am just going to plan to not be able to get off the ship that first evening. Will save any booked excursions for the other days.

Wait, looking at the itinerary, we are supposed to dock at 8:00am. I think that leaves enough time to get off the ship sometime in the late afternoon/early evening.

Just now, skeeter195 said:

We go on 10/3.  If we have to wait to get off the ship for even 1 day waiting for results that would be horrible. 

Right now, the page about arrival testing at the airport says:

"The turnaround time is approximately 24 hours for most results, though results may take longer depending on arrival time, so should result in very little delay to your holiday to make sure we are all safe."

https://www.gov.bm/travel-testing-frequently-asked-questions

I genuinely hope we don't lose a full day in Bermuda!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, skeeter195 said:

Every time we go to Bermuda on NCL we dock at 8am.  I am always at the golf course by 9am.  

One of the times I went to Bermuda, we really rushed it, because we had a medical emergency on board so we actually got into Bermuda the evening before our scheduled arrival to medically evacuate the individual in trouble. We still were unable to dock until the next morning (much to the chagrin of some passengers who would have appreciated the extra time ashore). I wonder if NCL could purposefully rush our arrival so we can get to Bermuda on the Tuesday evening, instead of the Wednesday morning, and have us tested Tuesday, so we don't miss as much time ashore on Wednesday. Of course, that messes up my whole B2B plan then, if I really do need a separate travel authorization for my second week....

That is doable for sure.  We have always left Friday at 3pm and made it back by 6am Sunday.  Which means going the same speed leaving Sunday at 4pm would get us there at 7am Tuesday.  Our wheels are turning, I wonder if the NCL powers to be are thinking the same thing.  

Honestly if we only get 1 1/2 days in Bermuda it will probably make us cancel.  Oh well one more 2 bedroom villa to bid on.  

11 minutes ago, skeeter195 said:

That is doable for sure.  We have always left Friday at 3pm and made it back by 6am Sunday.  Which means going the same speed leaving Sunday at 4pm would get us there at 7am Tuesday.  Our wheels are turning, I wonder if the NCL powers to be are thinking the same thing.  

Honestly if we only get 1 1/2 days in Bermuda it will probably make us cancel.  Oh well one more 2 bedroom villa to bid on.  

Lucky for us, Crystal Cruises will be the guinea pigs. I am sure whatever mechanism they work out to ensure their passengers the most time ashore will work for NCL as well.

• Like 2

The more I think about this the more I think that NCL is not going to want to deal with this.  If I was a betting man and I am, I would say that there is a 50/50 chance that these cruises are going to end up on the Bahama/Port Canaveral run.   I hope that I am overthinking this and we actually go to Bermuda but I have a bad feeling again.  Time will tell.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, skeeter195 said:

The more I think about this the more I think that NCL is not going to want to deal with this.  If I was a betting man and I am, I would say that there is a 50/50 chance that these cruises are going to end up on the Bahama/Port Canaveral run.   I hope that I am overthinking this and we actually go to Bermuda but I have a bad feeling again.  Time will tell.

I agree with you.

I'm imagining the chaos at the dock.  Not everyone reads cruisecritc....or does in depth research for their cruise.  They pay....assume all they need is proof of vaccination, and any additional testing will be available upon embarkation.

And then there are passengers "in the know" who just don't want to bother with the guidelines (peace of mind guarantee)....so lots of cancellations.

Not to add fuel to the fire, but there's also that Travel Authorization form which costs $75/pp...you'll need to upload your documents. Then the form needs to be approved and e-mailed back to you.

I predict many oblivious passengers......and not all people are tech saavy either.

As a betting person, I'll say Bermuda in Sept/Oct is unlikely.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

Not to add fuel to the fire, but there's also that Travel Authorization form which costs $75/pp...you'll need to upload your documents. Then the form needs to be approved and e-mailed back to you.

I predict many oblivious passengers......and not all people are tech saavy either.

Plus the results for the PCR test in Bermuda will be emailed to you, and you can’t get off the ship until you get those results. Which means everyone will need to have either a wifi package or cellular data service that will work in Bermuda to get that email!

7 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

If the requirements are not feasible to meet that's one thing, but if people just can't follow instructions I doubt that NCL will change plans.  Sept/Oct is pretty close to re-deploy the ship to somewhere else.

Disney had to deny boarding this week because of testing, but it was supposedly only 20-something parties, and most apparently involved misunderstandings about children which won't be a concern with NCL.  

Ships from NY have routes changed at the drop of a dime.  Especially Aug-Nov due to weather.  Many Bermuda runs every year are changed to the bahamas or even canadian(not this year) runs at the last minute.  Sometimes after passengers are boarded in NY.  This is all part of cruising from NY.  You hope you get to go where you wanted to but sometimes have to make due with a sudden change.  

57 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

I agree with you.

I'm imagining the chaos at the dock.  Not everyone reads cruisecritc....or does in depth research for their cruise.  They pay....assume all they need is proof of vaccination, and any additional testing will be available upon embarkation.

And then there are passengers "in the know" who just don't want to bother with the guidelines (peace of mind guarantee)....so lots of cancellations.

The one thing NCL *has* been good a communicating is that we cannot complete our online check-in until 21 days prior to sailing and that additional info/tasks will be required of us at that time. So I assume that when we reach that 21 day mark, their will be notices/emails all over explaining that we are required to test 4 days prior and complete the travel authorization.

5 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

As of right now, US travelers would not need a test when they disembark. Only non-US citizens or people traveling internationally would need tests.

I’m a bit confused. Isn’t entering the US on a trip from Bermuda traveling internationally? 

4 minutes ago, CPT Trips said:

I’m a bit confused. Isn’t entering the US on a trip from Bermuda traveling internationally? 

Sorry, should have clarified "traveling by air". The US is not currently requiring US citizens to test when returning to the US via closed-circuit cruises, only via international flights.

i'm on the breakaway to bermuda in october. i have a wait and see attitude about this. i mean, c'mon, the requirements were just announced this morning. there's plenty of time to tweak and reassess, by bermuda, by NCL and by individual travelers.

one thing that is a bit of a stumbling block for NCL is that most NCL excursions begin at 10:30 or so, just a couple of hours after docking. it's difficult to predict how that's going to work if people are delayed getting off the ship. i think people on cruises to bermuda this fall will probably hear from NCL within two or three days, once they have an official take on this. 

as for test results, one potential compromise here would be for NCL to work with the bermuda government to administer  both an antigen test (apparently the NCL requirement) as well as a PCR test at embarkation. the government could even send its own health care workers to the ports to administer these tests under their guidance. 

6 minutes ago, UKstages said:

i'm on the breakaway to bermuda in october. i have a wait and see attitude about this. i mean, c'mon, the requirements were just announced this morning. there's plenty of time to tweak and reassess, by bermuda, by NCL and by individual travelers.

one thing that is a bit of a stumbling block for NCL is that most NCL excursions begin at 10:30 or so, just a couple of hours after docking. it's difficult to predict how that's going to work if people are delayed getting off the ship. i think people on cruises to bermuda this fall will probably hear from NCL within two or three days, once they have an official take on this. 

as for test results, one potential compromise here would be for NCL to work with the bermuda government to administer  both an antigen test (apparently the NCL requirement) as well as a PCR test at embarkation. the government could even send its own health care workers to the ports to administer these tests under their guidance. 

That’s too logical to actually happen. 😁👍. But yeah, antigen test to board, and if you fail the PCR test then you can’t get off the ship (and at that point you’d be quarantined for the failed test), but then thinking it though, NCL would probably need to get you off the ship with the failed PCR test, and with the next stop being in Bermuda…….

I’m going to guess that NCL has already figured out something with Bermuda with doing testing on the cruise before we get there, most likely our first or second day at sea. They will probably announce there will be a fee of 75$ per person to get it (which would cover the cost of the Bermuda Covid testing fee). Anyone who wants to go ashore will have to take the test or cancel their plans to leave ship. The reason I say this is because NCL is already offering people who have to fly home internationally tests before getting back to the US ports. I could be wrong, but this would make sense for this kind of sonario.