Was Belieze port doing random testing of cruise passengers?

AtSeaWithChris

14 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

Oh, I have no doubt there are lying, selfish people out there.. Those who don't care if others die. But I'm not one of them. Lies have a way of catching up, and random testing is one way.

"Those who don't care if others die", isn't that a bit over the top? Have you followed the news at all? Fully vaccinated people are not ending in the hospital or dying. What is it you are afraid of? is it that there will be unvaccinated passengers who bought fake cards on the black market, and they will get very sick?

14 hours ago, drafterdw said:

Maybe because it is just showing up in local news. I just heard it 2 days ago but they did not give e it a date.

Good news. Someone said it was on some morning show and all 26 crew are testing negative and bsck to work. Outbreak is over this time. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

"Those who don't care if others die", isn't that a bit over the top? Have you followed the news at all? Fully vaccinated people are not ending in the hospital or dying. What is it you are afraid of? is it that there will be unvaccinated passengers who bought fake cards on the black market, and they will get very sick?

I heard today 5.5 times more die of smoking per day and we dont care.  .. just putting this in perspective. We should care about all preventable deaths and learn to live with covid.

Glad to hear that this thread is dead except for going off topic. Belize was a one time thing. Demanding carnival tell us what might have happened isnt going to happen. John is right we need to deal with facts, not so much things that havent happened and probably wouldnt happen. It was a one off unusual reaction from Belize. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, firefly333 said:

I heard today 5.5 times more die of smoking per day and we dont care.  .. just putting this in perspective. We should care about all preventable deaths and learn to live with covid.

Glad to hear that this thread is dead except for going off topic. Belize was a one time thing. Demanding carnival tell us what might have happened isnt going to happen. John is right we need to deal with facts, not so much things that havent happened and probably wouldnt happen. It was a one off unusual reaction from Belize. 

So let us have totally non-smoking ships!!!!!!!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

We should be able to know the protocols for testing positive. 

3 minutes ago, AtSeaWithChris said:

We should be able to know the protocols for testing positive. 

I agree with you, but in the absence of an official answer, consider this.

I don’t know of an example of anyone being disembarked to quarantine in a Caribbean hotel, even though there are provisions for that in the CSO. All of the cases we have any information about have been quarantined in their cabin or in a designated one. Even when they got back to home port, almost all have been released to go home. Everybody probably knows about the family that quarantined in a hotel, but that group included an unvaccinated child who tested positive. That is the only hotel quarantine I am aware of.

The Belize random testing was probably prompted by the large number of known positives on board. It may happen again, but no one can say how likely it is. Even in that situation, I think you would have been returned to the ship to quarantine. That still is not a good outcome in the middle of your cruise, but it is better than being stuck far from home.

Chances are low that a fully vaccinated person  will get really sick. While he still needs to be isolated to prevent spread, it seems that such a case could be safely handled on board and returned home. That appears to be the pattern that is developing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ontheweb said:

The better question is are you following real news? Fully vaccinated people are ending up in the hospital or dying and their numbers are going up. One of my fears are people believing all the misinformation being spread and ending up sick. I know better.

33 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

The better question is are you following real news? Fully vaccinated people are ending up in the hospital or dying and their numbers are going up. One of my fears are people believing all the misinformation being spread and ending up sick. I know better.

You're one of very few people saying that. Every doctor and nurse locally all say it's the unvaccinated. Nobody is reporting high numbers of vaccinated in hospitals and dying. What do YOU consider real news?

• Like 1

I just read a highly disturbing and sad report of a woman from the Carnival Vista who was disembarked in Belize due to testing positive for COVID onboard; she was very sick and after spending time in a Belize hospital and medically evacuated to the USA, she eventually died.  77 years old and vaccinated. I hesitate to post links here because the sources are a Go Fund Me (which I don’t want to link to) and an ambulance-chaser sort-of site (which I really don’t want to link to)

Could this be one of the factors involved in the random testing in Belize (not just cases, but also a serious case from the Vista)? 

1 hour ago, tallnthensome said:

The number of fully vaccinated people dying of Covid stands at 0.001%  I have a better chance of having a heart attack while sitting on the toilet . 

8 minutes ago, TravelBluebird said:

I just read a highly disturbing and sad report of a woman from the Carnival Vista who was disembarked in Belize due to testing positive for COVID onboard; she was very sick and after spending time in a Belize hospital and medically evacuated to the USA, she eventually died.  77 years old and vaccinated. I hesitate to post links here because the sources are a Go Fund Me (which I don’t want to link to) and an ambulance-chaser sort-of site (which I really don’t want to link to)

Could this be one of the factors involved in the random testing in Belize (not just cases, but also a serious case from the Vista)? 

Although breakthrough cases in the general population leading to death or severe illness is rare, among people suffering from underlying health conditions or have comorbidity the risk of dying from a breakthrough infection increases to 13% from 2%. The 77 year old woman may have had an underlying health condition we are not aware of. 
https://creakyjoints.org/living-with-arthritis/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccines/rheumatic-disease-covid-19-breakthrough-infections-worse-outcomes/?utm_source=GHLF+COVID-19+Support+Program&utm_campaign=30192938c4-PSP_realtime_76&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_e0b05b1451-30192938c4-233661382

1 hour ago, AtSeaWithChris said:

You're one of very few people saying that. Every doctor and nurse locally all say it's the unvaccinated. Nobody is reporting high numbers of vaccinated in hospitals and dying. What do YOU consider real news?

Nobody said high numbers. I said INCREASING numbers. And it is TRUE.

17 minutes ago, TravelBluebird said:

It is sad. It is also apparent that she must have only had Medicare since her insurance didn't cover outside of the United States. Everyone should have medical coverage including evacuation. I have doubts it would have made any difference in this case.

It could have been a factor for random testing, but some countries do random testing. I also wonder if she was infected before getting on the cruise ship - it could be a factor in everyone needing a test now. Could she have been patient "0" on the cruise? Clearly vaccinated people are dying from covid.

One thing the ambulance chaser did not mislead on: "There is no legal requirement for either the CDC or the cruise lines to disclose the number of COVID-19 cases on cruise ships. "

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, TravelBluebird said:

There were reports of 26 positive crew and 1 passenger. I never heard what became of the passenger. I’m thinking the story you are referring to would make the evening news if it were true. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, TravelBluebird said:

I just read a highly disturbing and sad report of a woman from the Carnival Vista who was disembarked in Belize due to testing positive for COVID onboard; she was very sick and after spending time in a Belize hospital and medically evacuated to the USA, she eventually died.  77 years old and vaccinated. 

What we don’t know if that is truly the case if she had underlying health issues as well. Need more information on this story.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Babr said:

There were reports of 26 positive crew and 1 passenger. I never heard what became of the passenger. I’m thinking the story you are referring to would make the evening news if it were true. 

I do believe this to be true; she was on the July 31st Vista cruise, but her family only notified people of her passing  on the Go Fund Me on August 15th.  People do lie on Go Fund Me, but this does not sound like one of those cases. As for the evening news, they work lots slower than people think, and they are (rightfully) pretty pre-occupied with Afghanistan right now.

2 minutes ago, TravelBluebird said:

I do believe this to be true; she was on the July 31st Vista cruise, but her family only notified people of her passing  on the Go Fund Me on August 15th.  People do lie on Go Fund Me, but this does not sound like one of those cases. As for the evening news, they work lots slower than people think, and they are (rightfully) pretty pre-occupied with Afghanistan right now.

Please don’t think I was questioning your veracity. Just because I don’t know about it means nothing.  

I have always wondered why local reporters who meet the incoming ships never say what happened to the people who test positive even though those positive numbers have already been widely reported. All he’d have to say is whether the patient was quarantining or admitted to a hospital. Maybe Carnival does not give out that information.

20 minutes ago, Babr said:

I never saw it said 26 crew and 1 passenger. ..it said 26 crew of the 27 positive. I read 6 news and none said 27th was a pax. Could have been a comedian or someone working on the ship. If it doesnt say passenger we cant assume they were. Maybe I missed it.

So, if this story is true, it would appear that she was not randomly tested by Belize port personnel - rather, she stayed on the ship while her family went on an excursion and when they got back she was having "great difficulty breathing". A visit from the medic revealed a positive covid diagnosis + a determination that she needed to be on a ventilator. If she did not have the need for a ventilator I'm guessing she might have just been put in quarantine on the ship?

1 minute ago, Babr said:

All he’d have to say is whether the patient was quarantining or admitted to a hospital. Maybe Carnival does not give out that information.

That would be my guess. But would Carnival give out the information if pressed? Hard to say; reporters are so passive these days; seems like they react to news instead of breaking it.  In any event, Carnival would definitely not give out any information on a specific passenger.

2 minutes ago, ScottsSweetie said:

So, if this story is true, it would appear that she was not randomly tested by Belize port personnel - rather, she stayed on the ship while her family went on an excursion and when they got back she was having "great difficulty breathing". A visit from the medic revealed a positive covid diagnosis + a determination that she needed to be on a ventilator. If she did not have the need for a ventilator I'm guessing she might have just been put in quarantine on the ship?

That's more than anything I've heard. Thanks. 

Just now, ScottsSweetie said:

If she did not have the need for a ventilator I'm guessing she might have just been put in quarantine on the ship?

I would love a definitive answer on this before I get on a Carnival ship. If you are positive with mild symptoms, do you simply stay on the ship in quarantine until it returns to the original US port, or does Carnival disembark you at the next port whatever that is? I know RC was disembarking people (and flying them back) but that seemed to be a special arrangement in the Bahamas.  

3 minutes ago, TravelBluebird said:

That would be my guess. But would Carnival give out the information if pressed? Hard to say; reporters are so passive these days; seems like they react to news instead of breaking it.  In any event, Carnival would definitely not give out any information on a specific passenger.

I know I can not get a direct answer from John Heald as to the protocols for people that test positive. 

• Haha 1