Sail Away Guaranteed cabin question

JoLoca2208

Hi All, we are booked on Jade out of Athens on 12th of September this year. We have booked a sail away guaranteed balcony cabin, and as we have never done it before (we always select our cabin ourselves) I have a question to those who have some experience with it.

I know that technically the cabin can be assigned to us as late as embarkation day, however when I try to do a mock booking now for our sailing, all cabins (except suits) are showing as sold out. Would that not allow NCL to assign our cabin to us already or do you think that they are waiting for potential cancellations (we are still 25 days out)? 

To those who have experience with booking such a cabin, when did you receive your cabin assignment?  

some seem to get assigned within a couple of days, and others just prior to sailing.

I am going on a cruise with a friend on Epic in Sept, and while I picked a cabin, he picked a guarantee, and his cabin was assigned about 7 days after booking.

I don't think it's anything to do with NCL needing potential cancellations, they already know they have sufficient capacity to fulfil all the guarantees.

You'll see when it's assigned under the "summary" page, where it goes from GTY to an actual cabin.  You might not get informed, so keep checking it.

We are on the same sailing and booked a sail away ocean view cabin when the cruise was first announced. We were allocated our cabin a few weeks later. We are currently on deck 5 forward.  We do have a bid in for an upgrade to a balcony so waiting to see if we get that.  Maybe if you booked later they will wait until the upgrade bids are processed before any further allocations 

1 hour ago, podgeandrodge said:

some seem to get assigned within a couple of days, and others just prior to sailing.

I am going on a cruise with a friend on Epic in Sept, and while I picked a cabin, he picked a guarantee, and his cabin was assigned about 7 days after booking.

I don't think it's anything to do with NCL needing potential cancellations, they already know they have sufficient capacity to fulfil all the guarantees.

You'll see when it's assigned under the "summary" page, where it goes from GTY to an actual cabin.  You might not get informed, so keep checking it.

Thanks. We've booked this cruise through our NCL PCC who said that we will probably get our cabin assigned within a week or two. It's been a couple of weeks now, but I knew sometimes it can be a last minute assignment.

I do keep checking the summary page for any changes. Hopefully soon! 

1 hour ago, Mrs_Reevo said:

We are on the same sailing and booked a sail away ocean view cabin when the cruise was first announced. We were allocated our cabin a few weeks later. We are currently on deck 5 forward.  We do have a bid in for an upgrade to a balcony so waiting to see if we get that.  Maybe if you booked later they will wait until the upgrade bids are processed before any further allocations 

Hi there! Yeah, we've only booked a couple of weeks ago, so possibly they will wait now till all the bids are done. I actually posted this question on the roll call 🙂

54 minutes ago, JoLoca2208 said:

Hi there! Yeah, we've only booked a couple of weeks ago, so possibly they will wait now till all the bids are done. I actually posted this question on the roll call 🙂

My friend got his cabin asignment yesterday, way after upgrade process started.  I don't think there is any relation to it (and it's an external company that manages the upgrades).

1 hour ago, podgeandrodge said:

My friend got his cabin asignment yesterday, way after upgrade process started.  I don't think there is any relation to it (and it's an external company that manages the upgrades).

Ok, so I could get that assigned any day really. I will keep checking. Thanks!

I have booked sail away balconies on two different cruises and got assignment in about a month.  But was not happy with cabin.  On Epic they gave me a private see balcony which is enclosed and on Breakaway gave me a cabin right above the showroom.  Won't do this again 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, EllieinNJ said:

I have booked sail away balconies on two different cruises and got assignment in about a month.  But was not happy with cabin.  On Epic they gave me a private see balcony which is enclosed and on Breakaway gave me a cabin right above the showroom.  Won't do this again 

I always book sail-away.  If they give me what I consider "a bad cabin" I pay more and upgrade.  

We book GTY Inside cabins all the time.  We've had our cabin # assigned as early as a week after booking (3 months prior to sailing) or as late as the night before (we printed the luggage tags in the hotel's business office that evening!).  So based on our experience there's really no way of telling when you'll get your cabin assignment with a GTY booking.

Good luck & hope you have a great cruise!

21 hours ago, victory2020 said:

If all cabins showed sold out go back in again & see if they are still sold out. With Princess they do that when they start assigning cabins so none of them get sold while they are assigning. 

Yeah, inside, outside and balcony cabins are showing now as available again.

2 hours ago, tomk3212 said:

We book GTY Inside cabins all the time.  We've had our cabin # assigned as early as a week after booking (3 months prior to sailing) or as late as the night before (we printed the luggage tags in the hotel's business office that evening!).  So based on our experience there's really no way of telling when you'll get your cabin assignment with a GTY booking.

Good luck & hope you have a great cruise!

Thank you! Not much else we can do but keep checking our reservation.

We have booked GTY many times and have always been happy with our cabin location.  One time years ago, we didn’t know where it would be until we showed up at the pier.  The other times we found out within a week or two of booking.

As far as location, we didn’t really care all that much in the past.  My DH sleeps like the dead and I always have ear plugs, if needed. But now that we are older, we like to be relatively close to the elevators/stairs.

Hope you get your location soon and are happy with it!

• Like 1