Shore Excursion regulations

SALAD MUNCHER

Just had an email from Cunard pertinent to our trip on 1st October around the UK:

"..Important information.

For your voyage, shore exploration will only be possible via one of our curated shore experiences. To ensure your well-being, each of our shore experiences will be delivered by one of our vetted shore partners, with enhanced hygiene measures and reduced group sizes to allow for social distancing..."

This trip is two and a half months after the UK was opened up! Surely it is not necessary to still treat us like children. It has recently been established double jabbers can catch and can pass on Covid - so having the jab really only protects yourself from serious illness not from catching Covid but it does not protect others from catching it from you. With the best will in the world taking groups of passengers on a coach to an excursion will not guarantee a Covid free experience.  Cunard announced earlier in the year they would be changing their protocols in line with the current UK Governments as they evolve - so why haven't they?

Cunard are approaching their Covid protocols in conjunction with Bureau Veritas,  to ensure they follow the best possible practice.

This link might be of use. The summer sailings finish 1st Oct so 'things' might change a bit after that.

https://group.bureauveritas.com/sites/g/files/zypfnx196/files/media/document/Bureau Veritas_Press release_Carnival_EN.pdf

For those of us on these early voyages, we booked fully aware of the protocols.

Who knows where some might go in Liverpool, Glasgow or other city if given freedom to disembark independently. Let us help in the attempt to keep passengers COVID free in any way possible. Nothing though, is 100% certain in these times.

I know what to expect and happy to accept.

Roll on September, so looking forward to being on a ship again.

• Like 2

It is important to remember that these polices are not designed to prevent cross contamination within the passengers aboard ship.  As the OP stated, a vaccine does not prevent one from contracting the virus nor from spreading it.  Keeping passengers confined to groups from the ship at all times allows the cruiseline and health officials better means to conduct contact tracing if and when someone tests positive at anytime during the cruise.  Allowing passengers to wonder aimlessly on their own will remove the effectiveness of tracking who may have been exposed within the cruise and on shore.  Should someone test positive following a shore experience that has been curated by the cruiseline, the controls are in place to inform those both on board and on shore who may be at risk.  Admittedly this is not a perfect solution but the choice is clear, agree to the rules in place or wait until a later date to take a voyage.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Vegas-Voyager said:

It is important to remember that these polices are not designed to prevent cross contamination within the passengers aboard ship.  As the OP stated, a vaccine does not prevent one from contracting the virus nor from spreading it.  Keeping passengers confined to groups from the ship at all times allows the cruiseline and health officials better means to conduct contact tracing if and when someone tests positive at anytime during the cruise.  Allowing passengers to wonder aimlessly on their own will remove the effectiveness of tracking who may have been exposed within the cruise and on shore.  Should someone test positive following a shore experience that has been curated by the cruiseline, the controls are in place to inform those both on board and on shore who may be at risk.  Admittedly this is not a perfect solution but the choice is clear, agree to the rules in place or wait until a later date to take a voyage.

Why do you think passengers who are not on tour are wandering aimlessly. I am often extremely purposeful. And as the current U.K. Track and Trace system is extremely effective, in fact generally considered too effective, why not just rely on that for UK cruises, at least?

• Haha 1

P&O have 2 Mediterranean and Spain/Portugal cruises departing 25.09.20.  In view of Bureau Veritas acting for Cunard, P&O and Princess do we know yet what advice/reassurances on this topic the international travellers are getting and also any additional requirements for entry to the other countries?

Sorry if I mentioned it in wrong place, was merely an observation as Cunard also have international sailings imminently, including several I am considering booking. The Bureau Veritas quote covered all three cruise lines.

4 hours ago, LadyL1 said:

For those of us on these early voyages, we booked fully aware of the protocols.

Who knows where some might go in Liverpool, Glasgow or other city if given freedom to disembark independently.

This comment sounded very "Mrs Bouquet" - are you trying to imply Liverpool, Glasgow or any other city on this trip are "dens of iniquity"?

You are correct re the earlier voyages, but as I mentioned Cunard did state their policies and protocols would evolve in line with current UK guidance, they haven't!

It's very confusing as they are all Carnival companies using Bureau Veritas guidance yet Princess are doing something different, Cunard still playing safe and P&O are silent.  Perhaps they are waiting for someone to make the first move nearer the time. The Marella board indicates they have now made theirs. My T/A thinks Cunard are playing safe rather than make a move then have to change it. Probably sensible but is frustrating and difficult for those who thought all the companies would follow one set of rules.

2 hours ago, SALAD MUNCHER said:

This comment sounded very "Mrs Bouquet" - are you trying to imply Liverpool, Glasgow or any other city on this trip are "dens of iniquity"?

You are correct re the earlier voyages, but as I mentioned Cunard did state their policies and protocols would evolve in line with current UK guidance, they haven't!

It’s clear what you’re signing up for when booking the cruise. Booking and then relying on a changed policy is setting oneself up for likely disappointment IMHO. I agree with a previous poster if you want the guaranteed freedom onshore it would be advisable to book for a later date. 

I’m sure Cunard are doing their best to keep everyone onboard safe and I’m much more confident to travel with those restrictions than with a free for all. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SALAD MUNCHER said:

Nothing “Mrs Bouquet”  in this comment. Our cruise will call at these cities, and as we all know, nowhere is free of the dreaded contagion. We used to enjoy a good walk of many miles and visiting historic sights, but times have changed. Sadly there are some who do not accept being “socially responsible “. Hence the numbers of  the virus being reported.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, BigMac1953 said:

You'll need to enjoy a really "good walk of many miles", because Glasgow is 25 miles away from Greenock.  🙂

Exactly! Perhaps not the best choice of words, but just trying to put my point across!

Everyone to their own thoughts in these unprecedented times, but I am happy to err on the side of caution, and go with the “Cunard” and the contract I signed up to!

Here’s to the next gin martini on board.🍸😊

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mumsysailor said:

It’s clear what you’re signing up for when booking the cruise. Booking and then relying on a changed policy is setting oneself up for likely disappointment IMHO. I agree with a previous poster if you want the guaranteed freedom onshore it would be advisable to book for a later date. 

I’m sure Cunard are doing their best to keep everyone onboard safe and I’m much more confident to travel with those restrictions than with a free for all. 

Whilst true about what you signed up for with regard to the seacation sailings and new bookings, those who agreed to not take refunds and rebooked their cruises from the last 18 months for the ones sailing after 1 October have actually placed enormous faith in Cunard and the other companies with absolutely no idea what they have signed up for regarding excursions and testing requirements, the latter probably very arduous and expensive on some itineraries. The emails mentioned on the Marella board show their upcoming international passengers to be completely confused and shocked at what they are being asked to pay and do.  I can only hope Cunard handles things better and the delay in letting guests know future plans gives them time to formulate a clear and easy to understand policy.

On 8/18/2021 at 10:06 PM, LadyL1 said:

Sadly there are some who do not accept being “socially responsible “. Hence the numbers of  the virus being reported.

Surely if all passengers on board have been double jabbed they have all been "socially responsible|". As we learned this week even if you are double jabbed you can still pass on Covid viral load and infect others at the same level as those who have not been jabbed, and you can still catch Covid, albeit with a hopefully less serious outcome. It will be very interesting to see if any of those on Cunard Excursions have any problems avoiding the virus, particularly as many will be sitting together for a couple of hours on a bus. Let's hope they open all the windows!!

Further to my original posting, I have just seen the following post on the P&O CC Board and, considering Cunard, P&O and Princess lines are all owned by Carnival, it seems strange that they are placing different restrictions on passengers depending on which ship they are sailing on:  

"...Will I be able to go ashore?

In accordance with health authority guidelines, fully vaccinated guests may choose to explore destinations independently, and should comply with all local guidance relating to social distancing and face masks.

Guests aged 17 years or younger who are unvaccinated sailing on Regal Princess from 30 September to 3 November and Sky Princess 5 October to 5 November on 2021, will only be permitted to go ashore through shore excursions sold by or through Princess using tour operators who comply with our COVID-19 controls. Self-exploration or participation in shore excursions not sold through or operated by Princess will not be permitted....."

This seems a far more sensible requirement to the one being placed on Cunard cruises, do you think this will be rolled out to all their lines anytime soon?

By the way contrary to what people may think regarding my post, we have actually booked 4 excursions out of the six ports we are visiting, so I'm not pointing this out just to go ashore independently, just for information.

• 3 weeks later...

New response from Cunard!

Good Afternoon,

"...Thank you for your email.

I note your concerns around the Shore Excursions and not being able to go ashore independently.

I am pleased to advise that Cunard has today announced that guests travelling on voyages from 13th October, will be able to go ashore independently but must adhere to the specific COVID-19 protocols in each destination. However, as restrictions in each destination are changeable, and some destinations may only allow cruise line organised experiences ashore, we highly recommend you do look to purchase Cunard shore experiences prior to travel ensuring you always have the option to explore each destination.

Testing that may be required to go ashore in various destinations on your itinerary. These tests will be available to purchase on board.

I am sure you will agree this is fantastic news and we look forward to seeing you onboard soon....."

• Like 1

Just read this on the P & O page, wonder if Cunard will do the same

"I note your concerns around the Shore Excursions and not being able to go ashore independently.

I am pleased to advise that P&O Cruises has today announced that those guests travelling on our cruise holidays from 25 September will be able to go ashore independently but must adhere to the specific COVID-19 protocols in each destination. However, as restrictions in each destination are changeable, and some destinations may only allow cruise line organised experiences ashore, we highly recommend you do look to purchase P&O Cruises shore experiences prior to travel to ensure you always have the option to explore each destination.

Testing that may be required to go ashore in various destinations on your itinerary. These tests will be available to purchase on board.

I am sure you will agree this is fantastic news and we look forward to seeing you onboard soon."

They already have

Good Afternoon,"...Thank you for your email.I note your concerns around the Shore Excursions and not being able to go ashore independently.I am pleased to advise that Cunard has today announced that guests travelling on voyages from 13th October, will be able to go ashore independently but must adhere to the specific COVID-19 protocols in each destination. However, as restrictions in each destination are changeable, and some destinations may only allow cruise line organised experiences ashore, we highly recommend you do look to purchase Cunard shore experiences prior to travel ensuring you always have the option to explore each destination.Testing that may be required to go ashore in various destinations on your itinerary. These tests will be available to purchase on board.I am sure you will agree this is fantastic news and we look forward to seeing you onboard soon....."

https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/topic/2796986-shore-excursion-regulations/?do=findComment&comment=61804627

1 hour ago, Host Hattie said:

They already have

Good Afternoon,"...Thank you for your email.I note your concerns around the Shore Excursions and not being able to go ashore independently.I am pleased to advise that Cunard has today announced that guests travelling on voyages from 13th October, will be able to go ashore independently but must adhere to the specific COVID-19 protocols in each destination. However, as restrictions in each destination are changeable, and some destinations may only allow cruise line organised experiences ashore, we highly recommend you do look to purchase Cunard shore experiences prior to travel ensuring you always have the option to explore each destination.Testing that may be required to go ashore in various destinations on your itinerary. These tests will be available to purchase on board.I am sure you will agree this is fantastic news and we look forward to seeing you onboard soon....."

https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/topic/2796986-shore-excursion-regulations/?do=findComment&comment=61804627

Check the dates, I am on Cunard cruise from 1/10 to 13/10 no independent shore for us, but P & O on the same itinerary could.

Both statements were issued on the same day so it's unlikely that Cunard will change their date again. P&O resumed sailing earlier so perhaps that is something to do with the difference in dates.

Are these are the same conditions that were in place when you booked ?