Timing for post TA out of Fort Lauderdale - Celebrity

kroberst

So sad I have to ask this (it's been tooo long) but looking at flights post-cruise out of Fort Lauderdale. There is a 11:20am option from FLL or 12ish something out of Miami. Too early? I cannot remember the usual allowance for the life of me. This will be a TA. Also trying to determine if the option to have the cruise line deal with the luggage until I pick it up at my final destination is available. We did it once before but don't remember what the program was called but do remember that it was only available at certain airports.

Any input for this addled brain would be appreciated! Thanks ; )

depending on when you are sailing there may be extra time needed to clear the Covid restrictions

That said  after a TA if you have not hit any US ports before FLL  there may be extra time before the ship is cleared

I would take a later flight if you can  just to give you some wiggle room

• Like 1

21 hours ago, LHT28 said:

I would take a later flight if you can  just to give you some wiggle room

OP, I agree with LHT28.  The 11:20 flight from FLL would be cutting it very close, I think.  Going to MIA, your transportation would probably choose to use I-95 to get to the vicinity of the airport.  Traffic on that stretch of the Interstate can be a nightmare; an accident could block traffic for some time.  

If you want to choose one of these two flight times, please expect "STRESS" and be thankful if such does not happen.  

In addition to the post covid unknowns, the fact that you are arriving on a TA means, IMHO, you should build in more time.  We've had two experiences where TA disembarkations were not completed until after 11 am.  We were passengers on one of the cruises and we were in the terminal waiting to board the other arriving ship. 

The luggage program on Princess is called EZ Check but since they haven't begun sailing out of Florida yet I don't know if it will be offered this year.

I am assuming that the OP will be docking at Port Everglades (Ft Lauderdale).  Given a choice of an 11:20 flight out of FLL or a 12 ish flight out of MIA I would opt for the FLL flight.  Bottom line is that it can take more then 45 min to get from Port Everglades to MIA (it all depends on the traffic) whereas FLL is only a few minutes distant without much traffic risk.  

So now I will put on my "Plan B" hat and use some experience.  It is true that a TA cruise can result in additional delays for the ship being cleared (because of CBP issues with the crew).  But that is not predictable and it is what it is.  If the OP were to miss a flight in FLL (or MIA) because of ship clearance difficulties, most (if not all) the airlines are usually cooperative and will usually put the folks on the next flight that has space.   So personally, we would take the chance at book the FLL 11:20 flight assuming that there are some later day options if everything goes wrong.   If using taxis from the port to FLL one could get off the ship as late as 9:30 and likely make their flight.  My solution is far from perfect but we would take the risk.

Hank

• 2 weeks later...

When trying to decide on my return flight from FLL, I spoke with Celebrity and asked for their recommendation on earliest flight out of FLL.  This is not a TA but they recommended the earliest to be 11:30 am. Not sure if this is helpful.