Help with bad experience

igorjrr

Hope everyone is well here.

I've been having such a bad experience with MSC. Not asking for a refund - I'm a new customer and just wanted to give them business.

The Status Matcher program never got back to me. Sent email, never replied. Called, they can't help with that. Has been two weeks already, nothing moves.

Decided to go ahead and book the cruise due to a promotion I didn't want to miss. Turns out they put my embarkation time 9 hours before sailing. I got the earliest possible flight and will only arrive 7 hours before - thought that was more than enough. Called and was told they can't help/switch.

Also, wanted to purchase a beverage package and turns out they are not available for cruises of 3 days - you have to deal with lines and customer service (hello covid) once onboard.

Nobody can help with anything. Emails are not answered. Calls take at least 30 minutes on hold to be answered.

If I cancel, they don't refund, only a credit.

How is it possible this is considered to be OK.

Do you guys have any idea what I should do?

Sincerely, I think if they expected me to be at the port 9 hours before sailing, they should have showed that during booking. I'm not able to make that early. Plus their service has been so horrendous already, nobody can help with anything.

Welcome to MSC 🙂

If you read through the posts here, you'll find many, many experiences similar to yours...many worse.

So why do people sail MSC? Because once you're onboard it's amazing...especially if in the Yacht Club.

Here is what I suggest:

1) Not sure when your cruise is for, but if it is for far enough away then you *can* get a refund.

2) Unfortunately no one will help with your embarkation time, but considering starting 8/27 they are no longer testing at the pier, I expect things will be more flexible by then. However, one option is to fly in the night before if you are really worried about it. Most airlines now allow free flight changes...but I really think you'll be fine arriving after your time. You definitely won't be turned away.

3) Once onboard you'll be bombarded with offers to buy the drink package so don't worry about standing in long lines for that. Instead, research the packages carefully - they can be confusing - so you know which one you'll want when they offer it.

4) Keep calling for status match and try to get a supervisor. Press them until they give you one. It's a pain but really the only way to get it fixed...but even then you might have to call again 😞

5) Lastly, know you aren't alone 🙂 For example, I spent 2hrs today on the phone with MSC. Granted it was for 3 different cruises, but still a long time. Everyone does it...we share your pain

• Like 2

Agree, it would help to know when you are sailing.  If it's away off...  That said, what status are you trying to match to?  I'm Diamond  with MSC and it really doesn't give you a ton of benefits, you know?  Nothing like being Diamond Plus on Royal does.  I'll take what they give, but, not lose sleep if I don't get.

1 hour ago, alyssamma said:

Welcome to MSC 🙂

If you read through the posts here, you'll find many, many experiences similar to yours...many worse.

So why do people sail MSC? Because once you're onboard it's amazing...especially if in the Yacht Club.

Here is what I suggest:

1) Not sure when your cruise is for, but if it is for far enough away then you *can* get a refund.

2) Unfortunately no one will help with your embarkation time, but considering starting 8/27 they are no longer testing at the pier, I expect things will be more flexible by then. However, one option is to fly in the night before if you are really worried about it. Most airlines now allow free flight changes...but I really think you'll be fine arriving after your time. You definitely won't be turned away.

3) Once onboard you'll be bombarded with offers to buy the drink package so don't worry about standing in long lines for that. Instead, research the packages carefully - they can be confusing - so you know which one you'll want when they offer it.

4) Keep calling for status match and try to get a supervisor. Press them until they give you one. It's a pain but really the only way to get it fixed...but even then you might have to call again 😞

5) Lastly, know you aren't alone 🙂 For example, I spent 2hrs today on the phone with MSC. Granted it was for 3 different cruises, but still a long time. Everyone does it...we share your pain

Thank you so much.

I'm sailing Sep 3rd. I'm unable to fly the day before, and not willing to spend money for a hotel because of that.

The problem is that, if I don't cancel by Step 1st and they deny me because I arrived 1 hour later, I'll not even get a credit.

Not sure if I should take the chance or just cancel and push for a refund, or take the credit.

I really feel cheated. I was not informed it could be 9 hours before the sailing time, that's a lot.

Spending 2 hours on the phone is also a lot for something that you are paying for.

I'm so frustrated.

4 minutes ago, maureencruiser said:

Definetely curious what ship, date.  Most ships are just arriving in port nine hours before departure, can't imagine they'd want you there then.

MSC Meraviglia. 3 day cruise. Departs Miami Sep 3rd. Sailing time is 7 pm, embarkation time 10 AM (9 hours before sailing time).

2 minutes ago, igorjrr said:

Thank you so much.

I'm sailing Sep 3rd. I'm unable to fly the day before, and not willing to spend money for a hotel because of that.

The problem is that, if I don't cancel by Step 1st and they deny me because I arrived 1 hour later, I'll not even get a credit.

Not sure if I should take the chance or just cancel and push for a refund, or take the credit.

I really feel cheated. I was not informed it could be 9 hours before the sailing time, that's a lot.

Spending 2 hours on the phone is also a lot for something that you are paying for.

I'm so frustrated.

You'll be fine 🙂 You won't be denied boarding. Those times are really to say you can't show up before then.

One of two things will happen...1) They just check you in when you arrive or 2) They make you wait for a while and then check you in. Regardless, you'll get on the boat 🙂

Enjoy the cruise...one you get on the ship things will be much better...

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, igorjrr said:

MSC Meraviglia. 3 day cruise. Departs Miami Sep 3rd. Sailing time is 7 pm, embarkation time 10 AM (9 hours before sailing time).

Oh,, I can guarantee you 100% you won't start boarding that early. They won't clear the ship until just before then. I would be surprised if boarding starts before 11am.

Also, FYI, my boarding time has changed 3x for my 8/20 cruise...from 11am to 12 to 12:30.

Relax, you'll be fine 🙂

• Like 3

1 minute ago, alyssamma said:

You'll be fine 🙂 You won't be denied boarding. Those times are really to say you can't show up before then.

One of two things will happen...1) They just check you in when you arrive or 2) They make you wait for a while and then check you in. Regardless, you'll get on the boat 🙂

Enjoy the cruise...one you get on the ship things will be much better...

Thank you. It's just that I've seen recent reviews showing they are very strict due to complaints. Even the person on the phone told me I should not go later. She talked with a supervisor and they said it can't be changed and I should not arrive later.

I guess it will be stressful, if I decide to take the chance.

I've tried a few higher level emails to at least reach someone to help me. They closed all doors. Phone, after over 30 minutes waiting, is the only option to reach a human at MSC.

I'm playing for this 😞

5 minutes ago, igorjrr said:

Yeah, I'd say that's a mistake.  But, agree with above.  The times are to keep everyone from arriving early, you can always show up later.  You know you have to show a negative Covid test, even if fully vaccinated?  That just changed friday.

• Like 2

Oh,, I can guarantee you 100% you won't start boarding that early. They won't clear the ship until just before then. I would be surprised if boarding starts before 11am.

Also, FYI, my boarding time has changed 3x for my 8/20 cruise...from 11am to 12 to 12:30.

Relax, you'll be fine 🙂

Thank you. I'm very pragmatic person and I like stuff organized and act immediately. I'll keep checking to see if it changes. I'm the meantime I'll try to get someone to process the status. Thanks for your expertise!

1 minute ago, maureencruiser said:

Yeah, I'd say that's a mistake.  But, agree with above.  The times are to keep everyone from arriving early, you can always show up later.  You know you have to show a negative Covid test, even if fully vaccinated?  That just changed friday.

Did not know. Had the idea that they do tests if necessary. But I'm organized and will go through all requirements one week before sailing, making sure I know everything that is required. Thanks for alerting me.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, igorjrr said:

Thank you. I'm very pragmatic person and I like stuff organized and act immediately. I'll keep checking to see if it changes. I'm the meantime I'll try to get someone to process the status. Thanks for your expertise!

No worries. A few other tips...

1) Like Maureen said above, you'll need a covid test. Since this doesn't start until the 27th and MSC changes its mind every other day, you'll want to read the threads here to see what has worked for others.

2) If you get an offer to upgrade to the Yacht Club take it. Most people here have bid successfully using the *minimum* amount for a YC1 (Yacht Club Deluxe) room. If you do that, you won't have to worry about a drink package 🙂 And seriously, its the #1 thing about MSC IMHO.

3) I completely get how someone new to MSC would be freaked out by all of this. But trust me and what others have said...you'll definitely get on the ship. The reps are all idiots and if you call 2x you'll get 3 different responses.

4) You'll want to status match. MSC actually does give you some pretty good benefits. Once you are silver you get an extra $50 OBC on certain cruises. After your first cruise you unlock 5+15% discount cruises. Once you are Black (old Diamond...or maybe Diamond old Black...can't remember) you get a free specialty dinner and some other small goodies. You also get things like priority boarding, etc. It is pretty easy to move up in points. Many cruises (like those 5+15 I mentioned) give 2x points.

5) Keep calling and get a supervisor for your status match.

• Like 1

4) You'll want to status match. MSC actually does give you some pretty good benefits. Once you are silver you get an extra $50 OBC on certain cruises. After your first cruise you unlock 5+15% discount cruises. Once you are Black (old Diamond...or maybe Diamond old Black...can't remember) you get a free specialty dinner and some other small goodies. You also get things like priority boarding, etc. It is pretty easy to move up in points. Many cruises (like those 5+15 I mentioned) give 2x points.

Old Black is now Diamond.  I got a free specialty dinner at the steakhouse.  I couldn't order a steak, it was carpaccio, thinly sliced raw beef.  Not great.  It took hours for that solo meal, while I watched couples come in, order steaks, enjoy a bottle of wine then leave, while I still sat at my empty table.  Now, when I paid for the steakhouse, I get the best filet I'd ever had, but, that was $35.00

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, maureencruiser said:

Old Black is now Diamond.  I got a free specialty dinner at the steakhouse.  I couldn't order a steak, it was carpaccio, thinly sliced raw beef.  Not great.  It took hours for that solo meal, while I watched couples come in, order steaks, enjoy a bottle of wine then leave, while I still sat at my empty table.  Now, when I paid for the steakhouse, I get the best filet I'd ever had, but, that was $35.00

LOL, point taken. I'll be Diamond after my 8/20 cruise (I'm 800pts away) so I'll see then.

At least I'll get the chocolate ship on future cruises 🙂

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, alyssamma said:

LOL, point taken. I'll be Diamond after my 8/20 cruise (I'm 800pts away) so I'll see then.

I've read different things about the quality of the chocolate ships. Are they available in milk chocolate?

55 minutes ago, alyssamma said:

I'll let you know once I collect my points on this next cruise and I'm Diamond 🙂

1 hour ago, no1talks said:

I've read different things about the quality of the chocolate ships. Are they available in milk chocolate?

1 hour ago, maureencruiser said:

Friends may I bother you with additional questions:

- Yatch Club: we will only sleep in the Balcony room (guarantee), don't plan to spend any time enjoying the room/view/balcony. Balcony was same price as interior so that's why I got it. Remember it's actually just a 2 full day cruise being one day at the island. Is the upgrade really worth it? We don't drink alcohol and I'm going to buy the "adult nonalcoholic package" so we can have smoothies, and other stuff. Please share if I should really pay the upgrade? It's like $200 per person I think and it sounds too much for us to enjoy.

- my partner loves soft serve and would love to have unlimited soft serve, lol! Kid at heart ❤️. Does MSC Meraviglia has soft serve? Is it good? Is it included free or part of the nonalcoholic package?

Thank you so much for helping. As it is the norm today, internet forums are SO much more helpful than paid employees. I wish you all had access to internal systems lol.

7 minutes ago, igorjrr said:

Friends may I bother you with additional questions:

- Yatch Club: we will only sleep in the Balcony room (guarantee), don't plan to spend any time enjoying the room/view/balcony. Balcony was same price as interior so that's why I got it. Remember it's actually just a 2 full day cruise being one day at the island. Is the upgrade really worth it? We don't drink alcohol and I'm going to buy the "adult nonalcoholic package" so we can have smoothies, and other stuff. Please share if I should really pay the upgrade? It's like $200 per person I think and it sounds too much for us to enjoy.

- my partner loves soft serve and would love to have unlimited soft serve, lol! Kid at heart ❤️. Does MSC Meraviglia has soft serve? Is it good? Is it included free or part of the nonalcoholic package?

Thank you so much for helping. As it is the norm today, internet forums are SO much more helpful than paid employees. I wish you all had access to internal systems lol.

I can't answer about the soft serve but for the upgrade...YES. $400 is a steal. You get drinks + wifi, butler, better food, special access on private island and so much more. 

You also get access to the mini bar.

Google the YC or watch some videos.

You *can* do the interion (YIN) room in the Yacht Club but the Deluxe is much better. Full disclosure, my first time in the YC was YIN and I'm cruising that (solo) in 2 days. However, my daughter and her bf who are also going are in a deluxe and all of my other cruises are in a deluxe. You *can* do inside, but trust me you'll love the delixe.

Plus, Yacht Club guest have a completely different embarkation process. Basically no lines...you'll really like YC.

Edited by alyssamma

5 hours ago, alyssamma said:

Hi @alyssamma, I watched a recent MSC YouTube and apparently the ‘Diamond’ chocolate ship has been modified. I believe it used to be a solid hunk of chocolate wrapped in cellophane, suitable for gifting. Now it is a smaller white chocolate hollow thing filled with a few pieces of some sort. It is also food glued to a plate, and the person said it is impossible to ‘scrap’ off and try to save in your own zip top or container. I think also delivered on last night so it has been reported, many are just left and wasted.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wallyj said:

Hi @alyssamma, I watched a recent MSC YouTube and apparently the ‘Diamond’ chocolate ship has been modified. I believe it used to be a solid hunk of chocolate wrapped in cellophane, suitable for gifting. Now it is a smaller white chocolate hollow thing filled with a few pieces of some sort. It is also food glued to a plate, and the person said it is impossible to ‘scrap’ off and try to save in your own zip top or container. I think also delivered on last night so it has been reported, many are just left and wasted.

LOL, thanks. Honestly, I wasn't worried about it. Lots of food - including chocolate - on the ship 🙂

OP, I hope the posts above have helped reassure you.  We loved our MSC cruises, and have two more booked.

I think the boarding time directive is randomly assigned, but is mainly used to keep people from trying to board too early.  Ours is 3pm; I'm sure some of the people in our group would love to have a morning time!  However, I wouldn't worry about missing your time.  Just go in when you get there.

Status Match has taken anywhere from a few days to many weeks.  It is nice to have, but I'm not sure that multiple applications or phone calls will help.  They might just clog up the system even more.

I see that Yacht Club has been recommended to you.  Honestly, I think you will be fine right where you are, as we were.  I've read lots of YC posts, and experienced Bella, and I still prefer non-YC.

I hope the rest of the pathway to your cruise is smooth!

• Like 2