buying medical masks for return journey?

irvington

Yes, I know I should have tumbled to this earlier - but we are flying Lufthansa home from Athens and have only cloth masks with us. (We flew United here). Lufthansa requires medical masks. I think this includes disposable medical masks and not just N95. Can I buy these on the ship or at Athens airport? or should I try to find some today while we are sightseeing in Athens?

Hi,

we did a cruise round the Greek islands, including Athens, very recently and observed that many people were wearing FFP2 masks - as we do here in Germany. Most people on the flights to and from Heraklion were also wearing FFP2 masks as they protect the wearer as well as others. Having said that, you can of course also wear disposable medical masks on Lufthansa flights, but I personally would not count on being able to get them easily at the airport. Perhaps buying them in Athens would be safer.

Hope this helps.

Greetings from Berlin 

Barbara

I would buy them before leaving the US and take a healthy supply with me.  There have been masks in the cabin- but I am quite sure they were cloth masks. You can always ask your friendly room steward - or butler depending on your cabin grade- to provide you with medical masks.

I have been on the Maiden Voyage in June- and everything was new - or different- for us- for the staff.

1 hour ago, Germancruiser said:

I would buy them before leaving the US and take a healthy supply with me.  There have been masks in the cabin- but I am quite sure they were cloth masks. You can always ask your friendly room steward - or butler depending on your cabin grade- to provide you with medical masks.

I have been on the Maiden Voyage in June- and everything was new - or different- for us- for the staff.

Thanks, yes the problem is I’m already in Greece and didn’t bring medical masks with me. Just cloth ones which I now realize I can’t use on the way home. 

2 hours ago, Berlin Bear said:

Hi,

we did a cruise round the Greek islands, including Athens, very recently and observed that many people were wearing FFP2 masks - as we do here in Germany. Most people on the flights to and from Heraklion were also wearing FFP2 masks as they protect the wearer as well as others. Having said that, you can of course also wear disposable medical masks on Lufthansa flights, but I personally would not count on being able to get them easily at the airport. Perhaps buying them in Athens would be safer.

Hope this helps.

Greetings from Berlin 

Barbara

Thanks I will look for them here in Athens. 

10 hours ago, irvington said:

Yes, I know I should have tumbled to this earlier - but we are flying Lufthansa home from Athens and have only cloth masks with us. (We flew United here). Lufthansa requires medical masks. I think this includes disposable medical masks and not just N95. Can I buy these on the ship or at Athens airport? or should I try to find some today while we are sightseeing in Athens?

Honestly ships like APEX sailing in Europe should stock masks for sale in the shops.  Any sign of this?  Or check with Guest Services to see if Medical stocks them.  I have no idea what they might charge but worth asking.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wondering if the ones that Celebrity are leaving on your bed will be acceptable.    I've seen a couple pictures of them but don't know of their quality or rating.

I would also stop at a drug store and I would think you will be able to buy some.

• Like 1

From Lufthansa web site today:

German federal and state legislation resulting from the resolution of 19.01.2021 requires the wearing of medical face masks.

These are face masks worn in everyday medical practice, also known as surgical masks. They are medical products and were designed for the protection of others.

In addition, FFP2-, KN95- or N95- standard masks are permitted. These FFP (Filtering Face Piece) masks protect the wearer from droplets and aerosols and serve to protect both the wearer and other people.

• Like 1