Just Finished Cruising Scarlet Lady - Ask me any questions..

desire882x

Hi Folks,

Long time lurker first time poster, I've been on two previous cruises (Symphony of the Seas + Mariner of the Seas). I am aged 30 so feel like I am the target market for this cruise if one exists...I've posted a full review here that is waiting to be published but here is a mini review. I am happy to answer any questions

Embarkation Process Overview

The embarkation process was very smooth, I arrived at the park and ride 60 mins before my designated boarding time. I was quickly told to drive to the test site where there are three Marquees. The first is where you show your passport and proof of vaccination.  The second is where you have your Covid Test, (this is just a swab being stuck up each nostril, no pain at all). The third is where you get your results. The total process from entering the marquee to leaving was around 75 minutes. The queue quickly moved so time went very fast. Once your test results come back negative you are given a paper wristband to show you've had your test.

Entertainment Review

We managed to watch two shows, Duel Reality and Mr Thing. We booked these shows through the app once we were on board. I can confirm all seating is 'covid safe' with spaces between 'bubbles' which is good. The Duel Reality show is a fun exciting, acrobatics show and one I would highly recommend you watch. The 'Mr Thing' show was truly one of the worst shows I've ever watched....I just did not find it funny...( I enjoy a wide range of comedy from Chris Rock to Dave Gorman! but this show I just did not find funny!) there was a gag where the puppet says we need a new guest and he says lets go past another ship and someone can jump on board. You are then shown on the screen a visual image of the virgin ship going past another, and the puppet shouts 'Jump' and then lets the audience know the guest didn't make it aboard...This gag was repeated 6 times and it wasn't funny the first time. Also be warned this show heavily focuses on interaction with the audience!  I would probably avoid this if this were something you’re not comfortable with. 

There is also on a free play arcade on board which has a great selection of retro video games including Super Mario this place was lots of fun and highly recommend this! It's awesome all games are free play!

Dinning Review Specialty

We were unable to book any specialty restaurants in the app before we got on board. Luckily, once on board some of the booking slots opened, we managed to prebook Razzle Dazzle.  We wanted to dine at Gun Bae but there was not availability, so we went in as a walk in without any issues. I won't go into too much detail for Gun Bae but I was quite disappointed with the food at this restaurant (Bare in mind I am a fussy eater so my review will probably not reflect others experience).  Most of the food is served cold, including the noodles. The main 'star' of the show the meat is cooked in front of you, but the meat is unseasoned. You are meant to enjoy the meat in a wrap like meal with sauces and salads on top. The service at the restaurant was great just the food wasn't good.

Razzle Dazzle was the next restaurant we visited, after reading some reviews of this place I can say this place is 'over hyped' in my opinion. Firstly, the decor of the place is definitely not 'Razzle Dazzle' I was expecting mood lighting / crystals and something generally Dazzling, it is far from this. The food at the restaurant was average at best, I had the Fried Chicken and my partner had the impossible burger. To be honest the fried chicken was cooked well but lacked seasoning, I would go as far as to say KFC do better fried chicken again just my opinion. The Impossible Burger again was okay but pretty similar to the Impossible Burger they serve in the 'Galley'. Overall I just felt this place is over hyped with a lot of reviews saying its the best place ever....I would say the Galley serves better food...

Wi-Fi

Virgis are open and honest about the on-board Wi-FI Service not being great. The poor connectivity is due to the fact the ship is cruising in / around Portsmouth. We found the Wi-Fi actually worked okay most of the time for basic whatsapp texts / calls. Loading webpages were slow and don't even think about trying to watch youtube / netflix as this won't work.

The 'Dreaded' App

The App actually works okay once on board, if you have any issues, I recommend you restart your device.

Disembarkation

The day before leaving we felt we were not given any information regarding the disembarkation process. We are aware how other cruise ships disembark passengers. On this cruise ship there is very limited information, you are not given daily newsletters or any information unless you ask for it. A quick visit to guest services and we were given luggage tags and we were told the Galley would be shutting at 10am on the day of disembarkation. I feel for new cruise passengers this information

Important Info

Everything on board is charged in $'s to it may be worth bringing some with you.

Overall, I would recommend this cruise for first time cruisers but when prices are back to "normal" it will be interesting to see how Virgin can compete with other cruise liners!

Edited by desire882x
  • Like 2

• desire882x changed the title to Just Finished Cruising Scarlet Lady - Ask me any questions..

Thanks for your review... I'm 45 days from sailing, and I would love to make dining reservations, but their app doesn't work at all... I've tried everything, and gave up... I sincerely hope that the on board experience is better than dealing with them beforehand...

I’m on board right now, for the second time having been on the first sailing two weeks ago.

After the initial debacle with the testing process, they’ve now sorted it out and it seems very efficient. There was virtually no queueing and the bus transfers from the park & ride to the testing centre and on to the port worked well. They’d doubled the number of check-in desks at the testing centre and there seemed to be many more testers on duty. 

On board, the wifi - while still far from amazing - is considerably faster than a fortnight ago. The food’s been great again (so far The Wake & Extra Virgin for dinner, The Wake & Razzle Dazzle for breakfast and The Dock and The Daily Mix in the Galley for lunch).

I haven’t seen much entertainment this time but I enjoyed Mr Thing - it’s the type of quirky, slightly anarchic show I’d go and see at the Edinburgh Fringe rather than the slick production shows, covers bands or slightly dodgy comedians you’d get on other lines. That’s the VV difference which some will love and others won’t.

I like that there’s no hard sell and hardly any PA announcements. If there is a cruise director, you’d never know it. The safety video will drive you mad though!

I’m definitely a convert but it’ll be interesting to see how the American market takes to it as it’s certainly not your typical Carnival/Royal/NCL nor is it anything like Celebrity/HAL/Princess.

3 hours ago, desire882x said:

Razzle Dazzle was the next restaurant we visited, after reading some reviews of this place I can say this place is 'over hyped' in my opinion. Firstly, the decor of the place is definitely not 'Razzle Dazzle' I was expecting mood lighting / crystals and something generally Dazzling, it is far from this. 

Thank you for sharing your review. I am a Brit in the USA who is (im)patiently waiting to board - we booked in Oct '19 for July '20 (Richard's Birthday Bash), when that was cancelled we rebooked for the Birthday Bash '21, and we are now booked for May '22 on a Dominican Daze cruise.

Following your comments about Razzle Dazzle - the decor is based on the camouflage used on ships during the first world war, even though the name sounds like it should contain lots of sparkles! https://www.virginvoyages.com/ahoy/stories/razzle-dazzle

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts, allowing those of us who are still waiting to share in your experience!!

3 hours ago, britincanada said:

Thank you for sharing your review. I am a Brit in the USA who is (im)patiently waiting to board - we booked in Oct '19 for July '20 (Richard's Birthday Bash), when that was cancelled we rebooked for the Birthday Bash '21, and we are now booked for May '22 on a Dominican Daze cruise.

Following your comments about Razzle Dazzle - the decor is based on the camouflage used on ships during the first world war, even though the name sounds like it should contain lots of sparkles! https://www.virginvoyages.com/ahoy/stories/razzle-dazzle

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts, allowing those of us who are still waiting to share in your experience!!

Thanks that explains the amount of grey!¬

1 hour ago, shoptom said:

Was there a tattoo discount day?

not too sure as I am not into tattoo's

We are cruising tomorrow on our first ever cruise and mega exited. Our restaurants are all booked but ironically all the entertainment we had booked bar one has been cancelled!

what is the process for luggage at the end of the cruise? Do we have to put it out the night before or can we leave with it on the morning with it?! We are booked for 10.45 departure.

Thanks - Mrs Quacks is panicking!

20 minutes ago, redcruzer said:

So did all passengers have to be vaccinated or did you just have to have a negative covid test right before boarding?

Thanks

Everyone has to be fully jabbed at least two weeks before the cruise and then a Lateral Flow COVID test by Virgin immediately before boarding.

43 minutes ago, Quacks the Cruiser said:

what is the process for luggage at the end of the cruise? Do we have to put it out the night before or can we leave with it on the morning with it?! We are booked for 10.45 departure.

In the app onboard the night before it says you can either put your luggage out by 10pm the night before, or you can keep it with you until you leave

29 minutes ago, redcruzer said:

So did all passengers have to be vaccinated or did you just have to have a negative covid test right before boarding?

Thanks

Dont panic, you take your own luggage off but if that is a problem you can arrange to leave it outside your cabin the night before and it will be taken off for you (albeit we were on a uk cruise).

The food is, some of the best food I have had on a cruise ship, hopefully not just because we were on the first sailing.

Do check you cabin account after disembarkation as we were charged £121.00 the day after we got back but had ample room credit. They were actually quick to refund us back.

We enjoyed our cruise but sadly this brand is not for us.

Hope you have a fabulous time and happy sailing.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, mnocket said:

Thanks for the overview.  I look forward to reading your full review once published.  I must admit I've found many of the reviews thus far to read more like advertisements than reviews.

Sure, I'll let you know as soon as my full review is published, I submitted it yesterday. My review is just my honest opinion and whilst some may not agree with some of my points I am just trying to provide details on my own experience.

14 hours ago, redcruzer said:

Thanks

I can confirm for all UK Cruises you need to be double jabbed and show proof of vaccination.

I have a question about the alcoholic drinks. From what I can tell from their website, It seems there are no alcohol drinks that are included in the cruise package price - that you either pay for each drink as ordered or there is a $300 drink tab you can purchase - but The Tab says it allows "premium" drinks. Are there "regular" beers and wine etc included in your cruise package without additional charge, or do you pay for each drink onboard (charged to your room).PS - Do you pay for the drinks in the minibar as well? Thanks!

9 hours ago, desire882x said:

Sure, I'll let you know as soon as my full review is published, I submitted it yesterday. My review is just my honest opinion and whilst some may not agree with some of my points I am just trying to provide details on my own experience.

I don't see how you can do anything but give your honest opinion, and I appreciate it.  While it is possible and likely I'll have a different experience than you, I am enjoying hearing about this new ship and cruise line!  I look forward to your review!  Thanks!

Do they offer separate shampoo and conditioner instead of the dreaded "conditioning shampoo"? Are they generous with hangers in the closet? I'm starting to think about what I need to pack for my October cruise. TIA (And thank you for your short review! Looking forward to the full one.)

10 hours ago, shook said:

I have a question about the alcoholic drinks. From what I can tell from their website, It seems there are no alcohol drinks that are included in the cruise package price - that you either pay for each drink as ordered or there is a $300 drink tab you can purchase - but The Tab says it allows "premium" drinks. Are there "regular" beers and wine etc included in your cruise package without additional charge, or do you pay for each drink onboard (charged to your room).PS - Do you pay for the drinks in the minibar as well? Thanks!

From all the research that I’ve done there are no alcohol drinks included in the regular cruise fare. What they mean with the bar tab is that you can buy premium alcohol (higher quality) with the bar tab if you choose. There is another thread about the minibar.  There are select drinks that are included in the mini bar if you are staying in a rockstar suite for the first round.  In another thread someone posted the cost of the other items in the mini bar.  I will try to find it again and link it here.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, sarakenny said:

Do they offer separate shampoo and conditioner instead of the dreaded "conditioning shampoo"? Are they generous with hangers in the closet? I'm starting to think about what I need to pack for my October cruise. TIA (And thank you for your short review! Looking forward to the full one.)

Yes, separate shampoo & conditioner.

22E21B39-1E3D-41A9-B844-E0DCF6532D2B.thumb.jpeg.62909fcd5f4941ec711db62b25dad95e.jpeg

(Shampoo out of shot on the right)

Hangers - there were about half a dozen in my solo inside cabin. 

On 8/22/2021 at 8:34 PM, Challenger540 said:

Dont panic, you take your own luggage off but if that is a problem you can arrange to leave it outside your cabin the night before and it will be taken off for you (albeit we were on a uk cruise).

The food is, some of the best food I have had on a cruise ship, hopefully not just because we were on the first sailing.

Do check you cabin account after disembarkation as we were charged £121.00 the day after we got back but had ample room credit. They were actually quick to refund us back.

We enjoyed our cruise but sadly this brand is not for us.

Hope you have a fabulous time and happy sailing.

They did this for me also. I still had credit on my account but when I looked at my CC, I had charges that weren't there at 3am when I went to bed and was still in credit. My Sons GF had problems using her Debit card, which they said was rejected. I stepped in and added mine for them. They left the ship with over $150 of unspent alcohol (which highlights a major dislike to virgins choice of drinks payment).... when she got home, the card they said was declined, was hit with a charge of $250 (I think it was.) That did get resolved for them, but not the point. I've not chased mine as the bill was $10.80 and my time is more valuable than waiting an hour to be answered. That said, I am still waiting to hear anything for my case which they damaged and have chased by email but ignored. Unfortunately, Ive had similar experiences with Virgin media, so Im not really that surprised at all.

I caught them out with over charging too, getting hit with a $87 bill, I queried the next day, to find I had 2 lots of double Gin and Tonic on the bill at a whopping $44. There were a couple of other double charging I spotted - and also different charges from the same bar for the same drink. They dont tell you what the sting is - you are meant to take it on trust. 

Give me AI or be able to buy a drinks package rather than this.

Edited by les37b

6 hours ago, MLJS said:

For the bar tab….is it for the cabin or just one person?

When I asked on FB messenger, this is the reply I got back:

The Bar Tab is assigned to the booking. If the booking has two persons in the cabin, both will fall under the Bar Tab for use. 🥂