Magic 8/21-My experiences on the pre-cruise Covid test

jaymumma

On Wednesday, I went to my local Walgreens and received my pre-cruise rapid test (since I am vaxed), test came back negative....YEA, I can cruise.

Showed up at Port Canaveral, presented them with; my passport, boarding pass, vax card, and pre-cruise test.  Well....there's a problem...oh NO.  

Apparently, the test I received didn't report a few very important details for it to be acceptable for check in.  The email contained test results, but not additional pertinent information for the Carnival requirements for pre-screen process.  The test failed to have my name and birth date for them to process me.  Was ushered over to a holding area so that they could verify the information.  Basically, after waiting for 10mins, I had to log out of the test retrieval area (in my email) and log back into the site.  In order to log into the site (Walgreens reporting site), you had to enter your birthday.  I showed the agent, as I entered my birthdate, and was cleared to sale.

In short, make sure your test lists your name and birthdate on your test results or be prepared to have a slight hiccup in immediately getting on the ship.  

Thought this experience might be helpful for some, so you don't unnecessarily start stressing out before your vacation.  I'm a go with the flow guy, so no stressing on my end and all the Carnival port people were super nice, but certainly something to keep in mind.

BTW....while in the holding area, there was a lady who was tested on Tuesday (4 days prior to sailing).  She had also tested negative, but was denied sailing because she didn't follow the instructions of testing NO MORE THAN 3 days from sailing.  So....be sure to read all the emails Carnival sends you on the exact requirements.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

Carnival website says  " testing for those sailing on Saturday can be done...Wed, Thurs , or Friday" We sail on Sunday...does this mean we can be tested ( according to the 3 day rule) on Thurs, Friday or Saturday?

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, topaz123 said:

Carnival website says  " testing for those sailing on Saturday can be done...Wed, Thurs , or Friday" We sail on Sunday...does this mean we can be tested ( according to the 3 day rule) on Thurs, Friday or Saturday?

Thursday you should be fine.  You could probably even wait until Friday, if it's a rapid test.  I received my results back about an hour after it was administored.

I'm no expert on their procedures, but the Carnival site does say 3 days and NOT 72 hours.

1 hour ago, jaymumma said:

On Wednesday, I went to my local Walgreens and received my pre-cruise rapid test (since I am vaxed), test came back negative....YEA, I can cruise.

I see on the Walgreens site there are 3 tests:  RAPID DIAGNOSTIC ID NOW (RED) , DIAGNOSTIC LAB PCR (PURPLE) AND RAPID ANTIGEN- BINAX NOW (BLUE) - These are the only three I see available in my state.  Can you say which test you took?

Thank you so much for posting this.  I will be on the Mardi Gras next Saturday and though I think I'm a go with the flow gal, I have to admit I've been stressing a little - probably will be until I get the test Wednesday.  I think I'm just so excited to finally be getting back on a ship lol.  

57 minutes ago, AKJonesy said:

I see on the Walgreens site there are 3 tests:  RAPID DIAGNOSTIC ID NOW (RED) , DIAGNOSTIC LAB PCR (PURPLE) AND RAPID ANTIGEN- BINAX NOW (BLUE) - These are the only three I see available in my state.  Can you say which test you took?

I took the Binax Now test

What I found, when exploring for test sites...not all Walgreens have all the tests available.  Some only had the lab PCR test and none of the rapid ones.

Good luck

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AKJonesy said:

All 3 are acceptable for vaccinated passengers on Carnival.  Only RAPID DIAGNOSTIC ID NOW and DIAGNOSTIC LAB PCR are acceptable for unvaccinated passengers.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jaymumma said:

Showed up at Port Canaveral, presented them with; my passport, boarding pass, vax card, and pre-cruise test.  Well....there's a problem...oh NO.  

Apparently, the test I received didn't report a few very important details for it to be acceptable for check in.  The email contained test results, but not additional pertinent information for the Carnival requirements for pre-screen process.  The test failed to have my name and birth date for them to process me.  Was ushered over to a holding area so that they could verify the information.  Basically, after waiting for 10mins, I had to log out of the test retrieval area (in my email) and log back into the site.  In order to log into the site (Walgreens reporting site), you had to enter your birthday.  I showed the agent, as I entered my birthdate, and was cleared to sale.

In short, make sure your test lists your name and birthdate on your test results or be prepared to have a slight hiccup in immediately getting on the ship.  

Thought this experience might be helpful for some, so you don't unnecessarily start stressing out before your vacation.  I'm a go with the flow guy, so no stressing on my end and all the Carnival port people were super nice, but certainly something to keep in mind.

BTW....while in the holding area, there was a lady who was tested on Tuesday (4 days prior to sailing).  She had also tested negative, but was denied sailing because she didn't follow the instructions of testing NO MORE THAN 3 days from sailing.  So....be sure to read all the emails Carnival sends you on the exact requirements.

Just for others to avoid this… on the COVID testing page it spells out what needs to be on the test results..

09F0F23D-05FA-4F90-8518-64E6A8FE4EBB.jpeg

4 hours ago, jaymumma said:

I went to CVS I presented both the Neg results EMail page that I had printed out and the Email they sent me confirming the appointment. Between them they had all the info required.

I still say if we all just continue to follow the basic rules then maybe this type of "extra" Pre-Cruise activity will magically disappear. Carnival has to protect itself because many Cruisers are still refusing to protect each other.   

Guys Lets Cruise Safely!!!

• Like 2

Jay, when you logged into the Walgreens site, do you see anything there that shows your DOB and all the other info they need?  If not, how would get them to add it?  We have our appointment at Walgreens tomorrow morning for the Rapid ID NOW test.  Just trying to figure out how to make sure all the info is there.  Our DOBs do not appear on the appointment confirmation email so it wouldn't do us any good to print that out for boarding.  Thanks!

I just looked again at the test we took for a different reason , this is what the CVS  test is called on the info I received ;Lumiradx sars-cov-2 ag test.Is this an acceptable test ?All the of the other info asked for is present.Thank you

20 minutes ago, htkodiak said:

I just looked again at the test we took for a different reason , this is what the CVS  test is called on the info I received ;Lumiradx sars-cov-2 ag test.Is this an acceptable test ?All the of the other info asked for is present.Thank you

Yes, if you're vaccinated and only need an antigen test.  "ag test" is an antigen test.

This test is on the FDA EUA list for antigen tests: https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/coronavirus-disease-2019-covid-19-emergency-use-authorizations-medical-devices/in-vitro-diagnostics-euas-antigen-diagnostic-tests-sars-cov-2

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, htkodiak said:

This is exactly what we had to board yesterday on Vista. No problem. They did look closely at names and birthdates, to match boarding documents and passports.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jaymumma said:

I took the Binax Now test

What I found, when exploring for test sites...not all Walgreens have all the tests available.  Some only had the lab PCR test and none of the rapid ones.

Good luck

Yes we went to  3 different CVS in different cities and no Rapid Test.  One finally gave  me the address for a CVS at least 30 miles away that does them with an appointment and a cost $138.00. Walgreens where is get all our meds filled said that none of them are doing the Rapid Test.  They also said that the test is not legal in CA so not trusting their information.  

We don't need until September 30th so will keep looking.  We could wait until we get to New Orleans but I am not sure I want to take that chance.  

3 hours ago, cruisemom2 said:

Jay, when you logged into the Walgreens site, do you see anything there that shows your DOB and all the other info they need?  If not, how would get them to add it?  We have our appointment at Walgreens tomorrow morning for the Rapid ID NOW test.  Just trying to figure out how to make sure all the info is there.  Our DOBs do not appear on the appointment confirmation email so it wouldn't do us any good to print that out for boarding.  Thanks!

4 of us got Walgreens Rapid Test this past Friday. Results back in under 2 hours. PDF which I printed out has all necessary info on it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cruisemom2 said:

It's from some independent company that Walgreens uses (or at least the one in my area uses).  It's basically an email with a link to the results.  You click on the link and from there you enter your birthdate go retrieve the results.

On the email form itself....your name is in the upper righthand corner and only other info is; where it was performed, when, and by who.  Then the results of positive or negative.

In short...no, it does not contain all the information Carnival wants, on one page.  Luckily, there's a way to make it work by walking through each criteria Carnival wants.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tomcatguy74 said:

Hi Jay and company,

This Binex Now rapid blue test that you took, was it a self test or did someone at walgreens administer the test for you? 

Walgreens had us swab our own nose in the drive-thru 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cirquskid said:

Hi Jay this was the best heads up info I've read yet, many thanks.

As stated in a previous response, this was my experience at my local Walgreens.  I see from others that others received more information on their results, from Walgreens.

Just something to look out for before going to the port, so you can be prepared 

I didn't stress, just go with the flow, and let Carnival be diligent with their rules to try and keep us all safe.

• Like 2