The Daily for Tuesday August 24, 2021

richwmn

11 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

There are Big Boys in several mid-western states, California (5) and Thailand (2).

DSC08699.thumb.JPG.d704d67bd71c320632d5981afb1bc7e9.JPG

I remember a Bob's Big Boy in Newhall, CA (no longer there). We would load up a car full of college students and go have a late night Hot Fudge Cake. More chocolatey goodness than anyone should ever have on just one plate.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, aliaschief said:

Good hearing from both of you. Stay safe and do wish all is well with both of you.

Got a cruise booked or waiting?

Bruce

All is well.

We are waiting,........... no cruising at present.

• Like 2

I think I'll preview the Wednesday list since I need to go to rehab this morning and will post while Cruise Critic is working:

Today’s care list:

RIP Cape May Beach Patrol Norman Inferrerra 3rd Line of Duty Death 8/20/21
Welfare of furloughed crews
Western (Especially BC) wildfires
Death in Sam’s aide’s family and dilemma in his caregiver situation
Afghanistan and Norseh2o’s nephew assisting the evacuation
New Zealand continuing outbreak
JazzyV with several procedures
From the rotation:
Scout Jamie C recovering from major surgery
Krazy Kruizer DH Joe

Celebrations and Shoutouts

2 BHB with passengers
Front Line Health Care Workers
Cruisin single and CruiseMGM on BHB
Tana back home
Booster for CruisinAlong DH
Promising surgery for Tyler
Sharon’s mom completed radiation
Good bone test for JazzyV
Dr. Bonnie’s proactive actions
3 Days for SharoninAz
and Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 6

10 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Interesting. I’ve been in that club this past week too. I thought the neighbor was getting up and walking under their motion detector activated light at 3:00/3:30 again, but the light is not on. Could this be the follow up to the Appliance Club?

Oh, please!   No, no, no!   I did sleep very well last night.  Went to bed at 9:30 and slept until 6:00 this morning.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, rafinmd said:

It was actually Harpur College at least when I entered (the first year the Endicott campus was not used).  My diploma says Harpur College but it became Binghamton University the year I graduated.

Roy

I still have relatives in the area and get back every couple of years.   

• Like 2

On 8/24/2021 at 3:51 AM, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone!

It is going to be a hot one today with temps at 90.   Some schools that are not air conditioned will be releasing students early today while others are closed due to heat.  I can guarantee that never  happened when I was a kid.  

I woke up at 3:00 am this morning and was not able to get back to sleep.  I made myself stay in bed until 5:30 and got up and put the coffee on.  It may be a long day.

Today's meal sounds more like a side dish to me.  I would skip it because of the carb content.  Roy's meal sounds good to me.  Although, the mushrooms in the orzo look really good.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchen/creamy-orzo-with-mushrooms-4554437

629305397_creamyorzowithmushrooms.jpeg.c2147e9b8e68bdf6ef86fe8d7454509f.jpeg

That never happened for us either Debbie.  And our schools were never air conditioned.  Snow was the only thing that closed schools and it had to be at least a foot, not this 2 or 3 inches stuff.  

2 hours ago, atexsix said:

That never happened for us either Debbie.  And our schools were never air conditioned.  Snow was the only thing that closed schools and it had to be at least a foot, not this 2 or 3 inches stuff.  

@dfish Closing schools was never the norm when we were growing up. I remember going to school a few minutes after the Puget Sound Earthquake of 1965 had just happened. Quite a few bricks had fallen off of the school building and many more bricks were hanging loose. The solution was to put up a ribbon and tell the students to not line up next to the building when the bell rang signaling time to return to class.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, atexsix said:

25 minutes ago, HAL4NOW said:

Closing schools was never the norm when we were growing up. I remember going to school a few minutes after the Puget Sound Earthquake of 1965 had just happened. Quite a few bricks had fallen off of the school building and many more bricks were hanging loose. The solution was to put up a ribbon and tell the students to not line up next to the building when the bell rang signaling time to return to class.

I have to admit that we never had the high temps during school days like we have this week.  Of course, we didn't start school until after Labor Day.   We might have had hot days, but all the classrooms had fans and windows that opened.  Where I taught for the last 19 years we had no windows that opened and an HVAC system that was worthless.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dfish said:

I have to admit that we never had the high temps during school days like we have this week.  Of course, we didn't start school until after Labor Day.   We might have had hot days, but all the classrooms had fans and windows that opened.  Where I taught for the last 19 years we had no windows that opened and an HVAC system that was worthless.  

We were in by the 20th of August in Illinois, so that meant a couple of weeks of nastiness.  Then the northern Illinois winter quickly arrived and I'd freeze the rest of the year, their HVAC was also worthless.

18 minutes ago, atexsix said:

We were in by the 20th of August in Illinois, so that meant a couple of weeks of nastiness.  Then the northern Illinois winter quickly arrived and I'd freeze the rest of the year, their HVAC was also worthless.

Ours was feast or famine.   One time the AC was so strong that it was 58 degrees in the classroom.  I took the kids outside where it was 75.   The principal came and asked why we were outside and I said I had to thaw the kids out before their next class.   Chip a little ice off them?   

Other times it was like the furnace burnt out in the on position and it would be 90 in that room.  We went outside then, too.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dfish said:

Ours was feast or famine.   One time the AC was so strong that it was 58 degrees in the classroom.  I took the kids outside where it was 75.   The principal came and asked why we were outside and I said I had to thaw the kids out before their next class.   Chip a little ice off them?   

Other times it was like the furnace burnt out in the on position and it would be 90 in that room.  We went outside then, too.  

Dear Mom is a retired elementary school teacher and she said she was always freezing in her room too. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, rafinmd said:

How much progress are you making with vaccines?

Roy

With the Delta outbreak the PM keeps telling people to make an appointment to get vaccinated, but the problem is that people are phoning radio talkback reporting that the first appointment available is several  weeks away, depending on which area of the country they live.

• Thanks 2