Le Dumont d'Urville - some observarions

jonikal

A few random thoughts on our Dumont d'Urville voyage.

If one could omit the intense annoyance of remaining masked for extended periods of time getting to ones destination, it would be total bliss.  But let's face it, banging around crowded airports, sitting masked on an aircraft for hours only to be butt to tail with strangers at the arrival airport shuffling through lengthy protocols, is the stuff of nightmares.  It made the arrival at our ship's quarters all the more heavenly.

The Dumont is a truly lovely vessel and for us, her size was perfect.  There were only 14 English speakers onboard and we soon got to to know each other at meal times and at the various lectures and presentations given in English.  Language wasn't a problem in our case, but some of our group felt a little disadvantaged by not understanding announcements in French since they were a bit more detailed than those given in English.

The service was excellent from the wait staff who addressed each passenger by name, and the room service personnel who were quick to learn of our preferences.  The reception team was outstanding and went to great lengths to make each and every passenger feel comfortable.

With regard to the menus, I was somewhat disappointed. There was always a varied choice of seafood, and the ubiquitous Icelandic entrecote which with a few exceptions,  was quite tough.  Breakfasts were varied and the baked goods were excellent.  Sugar free food was unavailable. There should be at least one such dessert choice on the menu and we did recommend that in our comments.

We were extraordinarily lucky with our weather.  Having watched the weather for several weeks prior to our sailing, which showed practically a 90% rain chance daily, we enjoyed beautiful blue skies and sunshine for several days after the morning fog lifted.

Many tours were offered but due to a knee injury we did not participate much and are not able to provide much comment.  Passengers we spoke to seemed to be pleased with their outings and guides.

Our dinner at the Captain's table was significantly enhanced by the arrival of Le Champlain alongside while we were underway.  It was a beautiful sight to see the sister ship as they came close. Everyone got up from their dinner tables to take photos, of course.

Our pre-disembarkation Covid test went smoothly,  just as you suggested, Tex,  and was administered by the ship's doctor.  It was the lack of authority and communication between Ponant US and French HQS that caused all the stress in the months before our departure. As an example, a couple who requested the Captain's assistance to resolve a problem with their ship credit, he apologized and made clear that he did not have the authority and deferred to Ponant HQS.

Our return flight to JFK was perfectly timed to coincide with the arrival of Hurricane Henri and we flew the usual approach over Long Island which was ground zero for the storm.  Surprisingly it was no problem and all we noted was heavy rain.

After 18 months of not traveling due to Covid, it was a wonderful respite and I believe all the passengers felt the same about being able to travel again and to be onboard such a lovely ship. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, jpalbny said:

Glad you enjoyed it! We are heading to Corsica on Le Bellot for our first post-pandemic foreign trip, in less than 3 weeks. Excited to go anywhere, and to try a new cruise line for us.

Since I have the flavor of your culinary tastes from another forum here, I will be looking forward to your review of the food on Le Bellot with particular interest.  Before our Iceland cruise on Le Champlain the reviews were pretty lukewarm on the Ponant cuisine, especially at dinner – but it was hard to understand what people meant because the descriptions all sounded good.  After the cruise I find myself in the same position:  breakfast and lunch were really good, but dinner was not as good as I expected and I can't really explain why.  [I agree with @jonikal that the steak is tough – and ours was called ribeye, which of all cuts should be tender!] Maybe you will be more articulate about your experience!

• Like 1

I think Ponant is very chef-dependent at dinner. I had no complaints and was actually very impressed with the meals on Lyrial this month. I agree the entrecotes were somewhat tough, but that seemed European to me. 

On Champlain, some of the passengers, especially the French passengers really didn’t like the chef’s gala menus and I agree they were somewhat experimental, but I enjoyed them. I worked in restaurants for thirty years, so I admit my evaluation includes a whole bunch of things beyond what actually showed up at the table. 

It does make me wonder what Ponant intends to do for the Smithsonian cruises. With all Anglos aboard, I think there may be some pressure to change the menus. 

Edited by AussieBoyTX

Have to agree cuisine wise - but then 21 days without restocking is also not easy

but the quality of the desserts was not was I expected from a French ship - but the icecream & sorbet was always a good choice and tasteful (straight from France)

sugar free desserts aren‘t common in Europe - cheese would be the option for that 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, schnapperin said:

sugar free desserts aren‘t common in Europe - cheese would be the option for that 

Agree. I did that for several lunches and dinners but it did get a bit tedious after a while.

Since Ponant's robust marketing strategy is focused on increasing its appeal to the US market,  they might consider making a few concessions to cater to some non- European foibles without, of course,  causing affront to the French cuisine. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jonikal said:

Since Ponant's robust marketing strategy is focused on increasing its appeal to the US market,  they might consider making a few concessions to cater to some non- European foibles without, of course,  causing affront to the French cuisine. 

But then they also try to increase in the Australian market & european market with for example the NatGeo cruises

since they also do a lot of US charter trips in the Antarctica they might have a different menu but that’s something I would expect since one of the appeals is the European lifestyle on board..and Sugar free desserts is something that won‘t be easy to find on most European restaurants aswell 

Edited by schnapperin

I wonder if a conversation with the chef or restaurant manager might be able to get some special requests like a sugar-free desert made. Probably don't have the ingredients for truly SF, but they might be able to make low sugar / low glycemic load deserts. I'll ask next time.

• Like 1