YC Upgrade question

cruzccl

We are sailing on the Mera in a few weeks and have booked a YC inside cabin.  Has anyone ever upgraded to a balcony cabin once onboard? We notice that many open balcony cabins on this sailing.  We have been getting the upgrade emails, but wondering if you can make a deal once onboard.  

58 minutes ago, cruzccl said:

We are sailing on the Mera in a few weeks and have booked a YC inside cabin.  Has anyone ever upgraded to a balcony cabin once onboard? We notice that many open balcony cabins on this sailing.  We have been getting the upgrade emails, but wondering if you can make a deal once onboard.  

My advice is to bid the min for an upgrade. Most people have been successful. Not sure what the bid is for you, but doubt you could do much better at the pier and this way you get what you want.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Beamafar said:

It’s highly doubtful that you could upgrade once onboard.  I would be very curious to know if anyone has ever managed it.  IIRC, it wasn’t permitted in the past but things may have changed. 

LOL, with MSC anything is possible...and impossible...at the same time 🙂

• Like 4

Also, I see that a lot of these early Meraviglia sailings are available with the Voyagers 15%+5% discount. You might get a pretty good deal on a straight upgrade and guarantee yourself a balcony with that discount program if you haven't already looked at it. As for an onboard upgrade, I wonder if the YC would already be filled at that point due to the online bidding program. If you decide to try it, let us know if you were successful or not, please.

Edited by orangemini
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, cruzccl said:

I too have an YC inside (all sold out) and have bid the minimum for a Deluxe on the Meraviglia.  Keep in mind that probably all of us insides have gotten the offer. There are 15 insides and most paid much more than a Balcony so money wise we have more in their pocket from the start than the Balcony cabins that are also getting the bid offers.  Do you know if any balcony cabins on your sailing have gotten an offer to bid on an inside YC?

I will assume they will fill YC as that will generate more income before sailing.

Steve

13 minutes ago, mscdivina2016 said:

I too have an YC inside (all sold out) and have bid the minimum for a Deluxe on the Meraviglia.  Keep in mind that probably all of us insides have gotten the offer. There are 15 insides and most paid much more than a Balcony so money wise we have more in their pocket from the start than the Balcony cabins that are also getting the bid offers.  Do you know if any balcony cabins on your sailing have gotten an offer to bid on an inside YC?

I will assume they will fill YC as that will generate more income before sailing.

Steve

When is your sail date?

And pls let us know if you get the bid.

GLTU

15 hours ago, Beamafar said:

It’s highly doubtful that you could upgrade once onboard.  I would be very curious to know if anyone has ever managed it.  IIRC, it wasn’t permitted in the past but things may have changed. 

In 2018, as a Diamond (then Black card) I paid for a Bella Interior 7-night Med Cruise - but informed MSC that I would only be on for 5 nights. Got my Priority Embarkation and cruise card in the port, and much to my surprise... my cruise card and cabin had someone else's belonging inside!! 

I went to customer service, and they said - oh no, that's because you are in a different room. The new cruise card was for a YC Interior.

I had several poor phone customer service experiences prior to sailing. So I never knew if the upgrade was due to that experience or my Diamond status (or both). And after that incredible YC experience, I will only purchase YC now. Good person to upgrade on their part. 🙂 

I have a YIN on my next sailing, and there are a ton of YC Deluxe Suites available. I'll keep you posted if I am able to upgrade on this sailing.

Edited by worldtravelista1
add info
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, worldtravelista1 said:

In 2018, as a Diamond (then Black card) I paid for a Bella Interior 7-night Med Cruise - but informed MSC that I would only be on for 5 nights. Got my Priority Embarkation and cruise card in the port, and much to my surprise... my cruise card and cabin had someone else's belonging inside!! 

I went to customer service, and they said - oh no, that's because you are in a different room. The new cruise card was for a YC Interior.

I had several poor phone customer service experiences prior to sailing. So I never knew if the upgrade was due to that experience or my Diamond status (or both). And after that incredible YC experience, I will only purchase YC now. Good person to upgrade on their part. 🙂 

I have a YIN on my next sailing, and there are a ton of YC Deluxe Suites available. I'll keep you posted if I am able to upgrade on this sailing.

Do you really think status counts?

I too am Black card along with 8 cruises booked with them now.

Steve

10 hours ago, mscdivina2016 said:

Do you really think status counts?

I too am Black card along with 8 cruises booked with them now.

Steve

I think it does, but not in a positive way for upgrades....think about it, if you are highest status they already have you 'onboard' with the MSC cruising style. It's newer cruisers they want to attract, and YC upgrades get a fair percentage sailing YC only after said experience.

5 hours ago, MarkusToe said:

By the way.

If you are upgraded to YC upfront the cruise.

Your docs show, room YC, experience 

Aurea.

I assume CI will be at YC, right?

If you are asking if an upgrade to YC gets the same experience as someone who booked it directly, then answer is yes. It is 100% the same...no difference.

56 minutes ago, MarkusToe said:

YC within the ship is clear, but how about Check in? 

YC tent? 

If your docs state YC, then you get the tent.  Its great in Miami. Swing the car by, drop the bags, park the car right across the way and return to the tent.

STeve

• Like 1

22 hours ago, orangemini said:

Also, I see that a lot of these early Meraviglia sailings are available with the Voyagers 15%+5% discount. You might get a pretty good deal on a straight upgrade and guarantee yourself a balcony with that discount program if you haven't already looked at it. As for an onboard upgrade, I wonder if the YC would already be filled at that point due to the online bidding program. If you decide to try it, let us know if you were successful or not, please.

Exactly right.  We got one email and with the min bid vs VC pricing it was about $100 more pp.  Then we got second email and min jumped to way more than outright buy.

Buyer beware on bid system.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MarkusToe said:

Sorry no US and bidding.

MSC made a lot of crap, and as an result we ended in 2 YCP instead of one SD3....

So room number on ticket say YC, experience say Aurea and Fantastica at the  other...

Sorry, not sure I understand what you are saying...but if your room is in the YC, you will have full YC privileges and be treated exactly like any other YC guest. This includes check-in, etc.

24 minutes ago, MarkusToe said:

Sorry no US and bidding.

MSC made a lot of crap, and as an result we ended in 2 YCP instead of one SD3....

So room number on ticket say YC, experience say Aurea and Fantastica at the  other...

Yes, when I was "unknowingly" upgraded before boarding... my cruise documents all said Bella Interior. The cruise card I was given at check-in had this same Bella experience and cabin number. 

However, after customer service or the concierge printed out my new room key - it listed my YC cabin number and the experience as Bella; as that was the experience I had paid for. 

Within the YC, I had all those benefits - however because I had Bella and did not purchase a drink package, any drinks outside the YC I had to purchase. 

35 minutes ago, alyssamma said:

Sorry, not sure I understand what you are saying...but if your room is in the YC, you will have full YC privileges and be treated exactly like any other YC guest. This includes check-in, etc.

Right, we have 2 yc grand suites, deck 19 on seashore...