Trying to Decide on Drink Packages

mrlevin

We are new to RCI.  My wife drinks lots of caffeine free Diet Coke; how much would they be individually versus drink package (I think $10 per day).

I drink both whisky and beer.  I cannot see how I can drink $57 per day.  How expensive are craft beer or UK/European beer?  How expensive are standard whisky such as Johnnie Walker Black or Jack Daniels?

thanks,

Marc

5 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

My wife drinks lots of caffeine free Diet Coke; how much would they be individually versus drink package (I think $10 per day).

Both drink packages have a break even point of about 5 drinks per day. 

• Like 1

Sodas are $3.50, so if your wife drinks 3 or more a day the soda package is a good deal for her.  All but one of the beers (Foster’s Oil Can)  on the 2021 menu is $7.49.  Jack Daniel’s is $9.99 and Johnny Walker Black is $9.59. You didn’t mention if your wife drinks alcohol or not, but if she doesn’t (or doesn’t much) I wouldn’t bother with the UBP.  If you get it, they (usually) make you both get it and if you’re drinking mostly beer it’s highly unlikely you’ll be drinking enough to make the price for two work.  You’d save money by buying her the soda package (assuming she drinks at least 3 a day) which, unlike the UBP, can be purchased just for her and then buying your beer and whiskey a la carte.

2 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Both drink packages have a break even point of about 5 drinks per day. 

This math doesn’t quite work.  You break even much faster than that on the soda package, and it would take more than that on the UBP if you’re not a spirits or cocktail drinker.  

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

We are new to RCI.  My wife drinks lots of caffeine free Diet Coke; how much would they be individually versus drink package (I think $10 per day).

I drink both whisky and beer.  I cannot see how I can drink $57 per day.  How expensive are craft beer or UK/European beer?  How expensive are standard whisky such as Johnnie Walker Black or Jack Daniels?

thanks,

Marc

if you order online you have to buy the unlimited beverage package for both of you but if you call RCCL you can purchase the unlimited beverage package for yourself and the unlimited soda package for you wife..if you wife drinks as much as you say she will save a ton of money

and the drinks are breakeven point of about 6-7 drinks

Edited by coachmike1959
added text

Here is my per drink prices (estimated off past cruises) I use to justify my drink package. Usually 5 drinks a day makes it worth it! 

Coffee $4.00
Water $2.25
Beer $7.49
Wine $12.00
Mixers/ Bourbon $13.00
Smoothies $7.00
Misc $8.00

17 minutes ago, LadyShiva said:

Can you get caffeine free Diet Coke outside of the fancy pants Coke machines?  Diet Coke, no prob... caffeine free Diet Coke, though?

I was going to point this out, too.  Might not be available at every bar, in which case, I'd definitely get the package with the refillable cup for use at a Freestyle Coke machine to save myself some time searching it out.

• Thanks 1

You can get the Deluxe Beverage Package for one adult, you can get the REFRESHMENT package for the second adult, not the soda package.  But you have to call to do this.

The OP did say he drinks whiskey, so he does drink spirits.

For the DBP, it is 5 - 6 drinks per day to break even.  But you can also get fresh squeezed OJ at breakfast.  Specialty coffees (cappuccinos, lattes, etc).  And bottles of water.

Not hard to do on sea days, but harder to do on port days.

I like having the DBP anyway, as I don't have to sign a receipt for my drinks and keep tabs on the bill that I don't get charged for drinks I didn't get.

One cruise we did not get the DBP, and we did drink less, but we found it just made life better to have it.

• Like 1

We've done it a couple times and have always reached the break even. For me honestly even if I didn't reach that point I would do it just for the convenience factor. Sadly we are cruising in a 2 room suite this next cruise and our two others going with us are not getting any packages so we cannot buy. Kinda sux. 

One time I tried it (I think it was ~$45/day) and I was struggling at the end of the week to break even.  That includes getting bottled water.  I don't drink coffee. Sea days (and private island days) are easy.  Port days, not so much.

Each person needs to weigh how THEY drink.  It doesn't matter if someone else thinks it's worth it.  Does convenience factor in?  Sure.  But you have to present your card anyway, and I still got slips if I wanted to give an extra tip.  So not much different. 

Being able to try something else if I don't like what I got?  Yup, would do that whether I pay or not.  I threw out a full smoothie on our first Oasis cruise because I didn't like the taste.