Trying this again.....Muse to Alaska, 8/19 to 8/29

Lois R

Lets see if this will work.....I tried posting a review last night and it did not submit.  Will try this again.  I had just returned home from the Moon in July when I realized how much I had missed being on the water so I decided to look for something else and booked a gty on Muse!  I ended up with 940, big window on the Panorama Deck.  My first window in quite a few years but it was fine.....it is just me and I had plenty of room.

Good, that first paragraph is now on here.........I really had a great time on this cruise.  I will say my favorite ship is Moon though😃 but Muse comes in  a close 2nd!

This sailing only had about 170 guests on board and we had a small but very friendly group of solos who met every night for drinks in Dolce Vita and also went to dinner together almost every evening.   3 of us were also on a Trivia team together and I played every day (cannot remember the last cruise I did that).......we had ALOT of fun!  We had a team of 7 and we won multiple times and on the last day we got 100%!😃 The 3 of us solos were part of that 7.

Will continue this later today!

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Lois R said:

We had a team of 7 and we won multiple times and on the last day we got 100%!😃

That must have given you enough points to win a key ring!!! We played too and decided to carry our points over to a future cruise. 

• Haha 1

Hi CJ, I got a key chain and a SS cap! 

On to the ports......Juneau I walked to the Museum. It is very interesting and glad I decided to see it. I have been to Juneau multiple times over the years but it was my first museum visit. I then walked around downtown. Did not buy anything. It was overcast and cool outside. (typical for Juneau). 

Wrangell, I took the Jet boat tour that was suggested by a couple on my other thread.  It was good and bad. The weather was beautiful...it was very sunny....cold on the water but had a jacket. The group of folks who went were nice as well. The not so good part was well, I sat in the back along with one of the other solos I had met on board.  The Capt wore a mask (most everyone did) but it was quite hard to understand him. He did not have a microphone and the boat was noisy.....if you were sitting up front maybe you could get everything he was saying but not from the back.  I went to shore excursions upon returning to the ship and they credited me back 50%.  

Icey Straight Point, got off the ship and there was a free tram up to the top....there were some stores and restaurants up there. I walked around the shops and the views up there are lovely.

Sitka, I got off the tender and walked through town up to the Museum but it was closed. Opened Tuesday- Saturday. We were there on Monday.  I walked back the other direction and up to the firehouse and back the other direction. Lots of local shops with some neat stuff.  I guess I was off the ship for about 2.5 hours.

Entertainment......the 6 singers/dancers were quite good😀. Got to know them a bit....really nice folks.

I enjoyed most of the shows.   They also had "Name That Tune"  2  evenings in the Panorama......that was FUN!  We had our trivia team play together! And WE WON😃.......It was a very popular game.

Restaurants......went to Terrazza at least 3 times...actually it might have been 4. I love it there.

I went to La Dame with Eric Ball, who was the lecturer on the board. He is very nice and was sailing solo and he sat with us in Dolce Vita every night too for cocktails and ate with us too.

Eric spoke about Alaska and he also had other talks, once about ocean liners and the other about classic cars. Very positive feedback about his topics and his speaking style too.  

Oh, I found Atlantide quite good as well, albeit, one evening......I should have sent my steak back and didn't so that was "my bad"..........

...........to be continued.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Oh, one of my favorite places on the ship is the Arts Cafe.  The staff/crew in there are wonderful and I enjoyed getting to know them.

Speaking of staff/crew,  all were terrific😃....the waiters/waitresses in Terrazza all wonderful.  Voytek....he is one of the Maitr'ds.....always having a smile when I walked in.😃....then again, everyone seemed to be happy to be sailing again. But my favorites are the bartenders LOL.......and bar staff.

Kristina was our waitress most evenings for solo cocktails......they are always so good about remembering what you are drinking. She gets a thumbs up from me too.

My butler was Anu from India. He  took my temperature every morning before I left the suite for breakfast.

And Soriya (sp) was the Asst CD from Brazil. She was on my very first cruise and it was so good to see her again. She used to be an International Hostess so a promotion happened for her👍. And Paula and Stephen were part of the activities staff.  Both lovely people.  And then there is RIco, the CD.  I have been cruising for almost 20 years and I must say he is one of the best I have ever sailed with. I don't normally care who the CD is but I must admit, his style and substance were a pleasure to be around. Very fun and it was not "all about him".....but rather the guests.....he made things really fun😃. I have met plenty of CD's whose ego definitely get in the way........Rico realizes its not about him. Carries himself well and girls, he is very easy on the eyes too😉.  I hope to sail with him again some day.

More later...........

• Like 1

Sounds like you had a great time, now you your next cruise to look forward too.  Shops in Alaska just don’t have a lot—-art and jewelry seems like.  Wish we were on an ship, but all of are booked cruises have been canceled.  We just have one on the books now - and must wait until it sails.

8 minutes ago, ronrick1943 said:

Sounds like you had a great time, now you your next cruise to look forward too.  Shops in Alaska just don’t have a lot—-art and jewelry seems like.  Wish we were on an ship, but all of are booked cruises have been canceled.  We just have one on the books now - and must wait until it sails.

I am making up for lost time (and cruises).😃...I go again in 38 days......hopefully!  Sailing on Spirit for 12 nights on Oct 8th---hoping we sail!!!!!  And I did have a great time!!!!!!  Met some really good people this cruise!

• Like 1

Some final thoughts.....this cruise did not have any testing for Covid but from what I understand, the folks sailing now were tested.  They did ask us to mask up inside the ship and I would say most folks did as asked. 

Oh, the Hotel Director was Chaba (spelling is wrong) but it is pronounced as I spelled it. He was always busy but very nice. The folks at Guest Relations were always helpful too. 

This cruise was booked only about 4 weeks out and I am glad I went😃 sailed with some really nice folks!  I would recommend Muse but then again, I have loved all my sailings with SS!

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, nfcu said:

Lois, were guests allowed to sit at the bars?

Oh yes😃,,,,I can't believe I forgot to post that......yes, bars were open for folks to use.......👍 (and I did LOL).....if you sit at the bar in Dolce Vita, tell Joyce hi from me😃

2 minutes ago, KMACKCANADA said:

Hi Lois, 

Do you know if there was an opportunity onboard near the end of your cruise for Canadian passengers to obtain a PCR test as currently required for re-entry in Canada?

Thank you for all of your great information!

Hi, sorry, I don't know the answer for you.  There was no testing on my sailing and I don't know what protocols were in place for anything outside of the states.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Lois R said:

I am making up for lost time (and cruises).😃...I go again in 38 days......hopefully!  Sailing on Spirit for 12 nights on Oct 8th---hoping we sail!!!!!  And I did have a great time!!!!!!  Met some really good people this cruise!

Lois, where are you off to on this trip?  You are really enjoying your retirement aren't you?  Good for you.   With my COPD I am still somewhat reluctant to sail with this virus still out there but hopefully in the near future I can get back to sea again.  Take Care, and enjoy your next trip.  Neil

38 minutes ago, travelnap said:

Lois, where are you off to on this trip?  You are really enjoying your retirement aren't you?  Good for you.   With my COPD I am still somewhat reluctant to sail with this virus still out there but hopefully in the near future I can get back to sea again.  Take Care, and enjoy your next trip.  Neil

Hi Neil😃 going on Spirit........Lisbon/Lisbon for 12 nights. And it is a new itinerary for me so really looking forward to it! Canary Islands, The Azores, Madeira, never been to these places.

Yes, I can truly say I do not miss my old work place--kind of a sad thing really, I worked there for 30 years and and the last year of it was terrible😟.........so yes, I am happy to be retired.😀

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi Neil😃 going on Spirit........Lisbon/Lisbon for 12 nights. And it is a new itinerary for me so really looking forward to it! Canary Islands, The Azores, Madeira, never been to these places.

Yes, I can truly say I do not miss my old work place--kind of a sad thing really, I worked there for 30 years and and the last year of it was terrible😟.........so yes, I am happy to be retired.😀

Lois, I think you will really enjoy that itinerary.  I have not been to the Azores but the Canary Islands and Madeira Island are both enjoyable places to visit,  plus Lisbon is a nice place to explore as well.  I retired a little over a year ago and although I do enjoy the retirement life, with this virus, I traveled a lot more before I retired than what I am doing now, but I know that will change again some day.  Enjoy your cruise.  Neil

18 hours ago, Gourmet Gal said:

Sounds like a great itinerary.  I would be very interested to hear your observations, especially how the seas will be that time of year.

I think so too😀visiting new places is always fun!

Lois,

Love hearing about your experiences on both the Moon and Muse.  We will be sailing on the Muse's last Alaska cruise of this season next week, mostly because you inspired us to get out there.

We have sailed Muse in the past and very much enjoyed Silver Note and the resident duo of Helene and Andre, who we understand we on an earlier Muse Alaska sailing.  Were they performing on your Muse cruise? Did you happen to catch one of their shows.  Please let us know your impressions.

And please keep up the reviews.  Following your exploits is almost like being there and helps those who can't travel yet to stay connected.

Thanks

24 minutes ago, itchtocruz said:

Lois,

Love hearing about your experiences on both the Moon and Muse.  We will be sailing on the Muse's last Alaska cruise of this season next week, mostly because you inspired us to get out there.

We have sailed Muse in the past and very much enjoyed Silver Note and the resident duo of Helene and Andre, who we understand we on an earlier Muse Alaska sailing.  Were they performing on your Muse cruise? Did you happen to catch one of their shows.  Please let us know your impressions.

And please keep up the reviews.  Following your exploits is almost like being there and helps those who can't travel yet to stay connected.

Thanks

Thank you for the kind words, I appreciate them😃glad I could help too!  Oh yes, I went to Silver Note twice! I think we had a group of 6 both times!  And Helen and Andre were really good.......she so reminds me of Lena Horne! So Bluesy..............They always seemed to have a good crowd.

Hope you have a great time👍

Hi Lois

Did they mention on the cruise if they will be sailing the usual 7 day one-way Vancouver to Seward Alaska cruises in 2022? We are booked on that (from 2020), and will need to make it 2023..... if they are staying with a round trip Seattle?

Assuming that the USA and Canada will ever allow UK people to visit them again!?

2 minutes ago, worldtraveller99 said:

Hi Lois

Did they mention on the cruise if they will be sailing the usual 7 day one-way Vancouver to Seward Alaska cruises in 2022? We are booked on that (from 2020), and will need to make it 2023..... if they are staying with a round trip Seattle?

Assuming that the USA and Canada will ever allow UK people to visit them again!?

Hi, I can't recall who I was speaking with but I do believe next year they will be going back to the regular 7 night Alaska sailings.......not sure if it was the HD or the CD but I  am quite sure that is what I remember hearing about the itinerary. Of course, things are always fluid in these times, but I believe the plan is to do the original cruises you are wanting to take.