Pre-Cruise hotel, Splendor, Miami February 3, 2022

MomC

4 hours ago, barryboatman said:

Not that this is relevant, but I will add to giustot's comment that the Diplomat has a rich history. But it goes back much further, to the 50s, when it was the most "in" hotel north of the Fontainebleau, but so much easier to pronounce.

From the photos I see of the Diplomat today it looks like it is the same hotel in name only, but it does look very nice.

It was New Year's Eve, 1975, when my friend and I went to the Diplomat hoping to get lucky. We were stymied, though, because it cost $5 for beer, and maybe 7.50 for a cocktail on New Years Eve, and we had limited funds. I think the only credit card we carried was ESSO, so at least we were able to return home after that trip.

RetiredandTravel, we would have really appreciated those happy hour prices back then!

$5 for a beer in 1975?  You ran in different circles than I did.  I remember 10 cent drafts (Genesee) and 50 cent Michelobs on certain nights in college.  We went to Ft Lauderdale for spring break in '78.  Complete debauchery.  Ten of us went to an early bird all you could eat fried chicken place, we ate enough for three days, the owner eventually came over and said you guys can't have any more and have to leave.  

I'm sure the Diplomat is a fine hotel.

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, RetiredandTravel said:

$5 for a beer in 1975?  You ran in different circles than I did.  I remember 10 cent drafts (Genesee) and 50 cent Michelobs on certain nights in college.  We went to Ft Lauderdale for spring break in '78.  Complete debauchery.  Ten of us went to an early bird all you could eat fried chicken place, we ate enough for three days, the owner eventually came over and said you guys can't have any more and have to leave.  

I'm sure the Diplomat is a fine hotel.

Not quite what I'd describe as college debauchery but then again, it was 1975.. haha.

We are on the February 3rd sailing and as we are from the UK we have a ‘forced’ overnight stay. On our account page the hotel is showing as Pullman Miami Airport. Any reports on that? It can’t be worse than the Conrad which was allocated the last time we sailed from Miami!

3 hours ago, nonu731 said:

Not quite what I'd describe as college debauchery but then again, it was 1975.. haha.

Trust me this was the part that was appropriate for all age groups 😮

When it comes to debauchery I'd put the 70's up against any decade.

Edited by RetiredandTravel
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, cruise-a-holic said:

We are also on the 3/17 sailing and received the Hollywood Diplomat. Quite a distance from Port of Miami about 23 miles.

We're on this cruise also, and looks like we just got moved from the Conrad to AKA Brickell.

On 10/30/2021 at 6:10 AM, swansong said:

We are on the February 3rd sailing and as we are from the UK we have a ‘forced’ overnight stay. On our account page the hotel is showing as Pullman Miami Airport. Any reports on that? It can’t be worse than the Conrad which was allocated the last time we sailed from Miami!

I somewhat confused when you say "forced".  Is this part of a pre-cruise package.  Just trying to understand how you ended up with a airport hotel.  I've stayed in the Hilton Miami airport which is acceptable for a airport hotel but it is a hotel near the airport.

8 hours ago, SusieQft said:

Presumably it was forced by the lack of any flights that did not require it.  In that case it would be included as part of Regent Air, not as a pre or post cruise package.

OK I always make my own flight arrangements.  I'm still very surprised there aren't any flights available from MIA to/from the UK, most flights leave MIA in the afternoon/evening, and that they put you up in a airport hotel if there isn't.

Regent always fly clients into Miami from the UK the day before boarding, hence ‘forced’ to avoid flight delays. There is no ‘extra’ charge but is likely built into the overall cost. This has happened to us in Europe also due to lack of availability of suitable flights on the day of boarding. Regent put us up at an airport hotel then too.

• Like 1