Host Anne - or anyone who has used the Rapid ID Now Molecular test pre-cruise

Robkat

We have a very specific question, which we have emailed Celebrity about, but have not heard back from them.

Our Edge cruise is coming up next week, so we are anxious for confirmation.

We see, Anne, that you posted that you had used the Abbott ID Now rapid molecular test.  We also see that Celebrity accepts a molecular test (although they do NOT specify that a rapid molecular test is OK).

We understand that we can get a rapid antigen test, but we're having difficulty finding a local provider, so this question is specifically about the rapid molecular test.

We cannot find anywhere in Celebrity's info where they say, specifically, that they accept the rapid ID Now test.  How did you reassure yourself that that test would be accepted, before your cruise?

We'd really like to either find that wording on their website or would you have a contact number for us to call?

Thanks in advance.

Mark_T and Jeremiah1212:  Thanks very much for your speedy replies.  We had found the Celebrity area discussing acceptable tests, but we were concerned about the fact that they didn't mention the ID Now test by name.

And we had looked at the Abbott site, but were still unsure about the "rapid" aspect of a molecular test.

In any case, in looking over both of your links again, especially the "any Abbott brand test" part, we are definitely feeling more reassured.

Thanks again, this will make finding a location to administer the pre-cruise test (without having to drive two hours from home!👏) easier!

• Like 1

If it helps add to your confidence, it is this part that references the "rapid" aspect...

image.png.8d8ada4f16fd8bd0d1bce76f8ccd7320.png

The NAAT bit = "rapid".  (Nucleic Acid Amplification Test) as opposed to PCR (Polymerase Chain Reaction)

Yes it would be great if everyone could use the same language 🙂

I hope I am not muddying the waters by asking this clarifying question.  But the key for Celebrity purposes (and for airlines, when required) is that the test is supervised by some clinician.  So if that is the case, then my question is, is the Abbott ID Now test supervised?  I had thought that it wasn't, which is why many people (me included) have ordered the Abbott BinaxNow Ag card test, which must be done under supervision.  Am I just confused, and in fact both tests are supervised?

Tom & Judy

1 minute ago, TFree said:

I hope I am not muddying the waters by asking this clarifying question.  But the key for Celebrity purposes (and for airlines, when required) is that the test is supervised by some clinician.  So if that is the case, then my question is, is the Abbott ID Now test supervised?  I had thought that it wasn't, which is why many people (me included) have ordered the Abbott BinaxNow Ag card test, which must be done under supervision.  Am I just confused, and in fact both tests are supervised?

Tom & Judy

Most IDNow NAAT tests that get results rapidly are collected and done onsite in an urgent care or a pharmacy. It is the collection that is supervised, so yes they count. You could theoretically do at home collection for an IDNow NAAT, and I’ve done it, but not for travel because the collection wouldn’t count

19 minutes ago, TFree said:

Tom & Judy

The ID NOW test is used in clinical facilities. Doctors office, urgent care, testing sites, etc. You can't buy these or use them at home. 

The Abbott BinaxNOW Antigen-Self Test is the much cheaper ($23) self administered home test that is not accepted. 

Edited by Jeremiah1212

29 minutes ago, cangelmd said:

Most IDNow NAAT tests that get results rapidly are collected and done onsite in an urgent care or a pharmacy. It is the collection that is supervised, so yes they count. You could theoretically do at home collection for an IDNow NAAT, and I’ve done it, but not for travel because the collection wouldn’t count

20 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

The ID NOW test is used in clinical facilities. Doctors office, urgent care, testing sites, etc. You can't buy these or use them at home. 

The Abbott BinaxNOW Antigen-Self Test is the much cheaper ($23) self administered home test that is not accepted. 

Thanks to the two of you for the quick and clear explanations.  Now I think I understand that there are at least 3 different Abbott Labs tests.  I know that there may be technical differences beyond what I am saying here, but as the consumer, it seems to me the relevant details are:

1.  Abbott ID Now test.  Not generally available direct to consumer, but when done in a clinical, supervised setting, the result are accepted by Celebrity (and, I assume, airlines where required).

2.  Abbott BinaxNow self test.  Not generally supervised, so therefore not accepted by Celebrity (or, I assume, by airlines where required).

3.  Abbott BinaxNow Ag card test.  Designed to be taken under video supervision via the Navica App, and therefore accepted by Celebrity (and, I assume, airlines when required).

The fact that the second and third tests have very similar names is certainly not helpful.  Anyway, if I am still missing anything, please let me know.

Tom & Judy

13 minutes ago, TFree said:

Thanks to the two of you for the quick and clear explanations.  Now I think I understand that there are at least 3 different Abbott Labs tests.  I know that there may be technical differences beyond what I am saying here, but as the consumer, it seems to me the relevant details are:

1.  Abbott ID Now test.  Not generally available direct to consumer, but when done in a clinical, supervised setting, the result are accepted by Celebrity (and, I assume, airlines where required).

2.  Abbott BinaxNow self test.  Not generally supervised, so therefore not accepted by Celebrity (or, I assume, by airlines where required).

3.  Abbott BinaxNow Ag card test.  Designed to be taken under video supervision via the Navica App, and therefore accepted by Celebrity (and, I assume, airlines when required).

The fact that the second and third tests have very similar names is certainly not helpful.  Anyway, if I am still missing anything, please let me know.

Tom & Judy

You are getting there! To be complete, and someone will correct me if I’m wrong, #s 2 and 3 are actually the same test, it’s just that one comes with the telehealth observation of collection and running the test and the other you do the test, but have no proof of identity or result.

4 hours ago, TFree said:

Tom & Judy

Abbott has 2 different products

image.png.c6881816db982406f89446bf4da636d4.png

The one on the left BinaxNow is not a monitored test -   the Covid-19 AG Card is monitored and acceptable.

It is my understanding the two cards and testing process are the same, it is the "supervised" part that is important.  Someone told me that the correct home use test for Celebrity (and cruising) has *RX* on the bottom front, I believe lower right corner. If it does not say RX it is not a supervised or witnessed home test. 

Edited by durangokid
left out a term

Wow that was easy.  I just went to the Celebrity letter sent to me a few days ago and signed up for the Abbot test to be sent to me.  This test I know will be accepted by Celebrity and I should receive in a few days.  I purchased it as a back up  and as a test to be taken by me  3 days after I return from my cruise.