Wine in Cabin

RJChatsworth

Three questions please:-

1.  If not in Queens Grill with a butler, who do you order bottles of wine for your cabin with, including wine glasses, when onboard please?  It doesn’t seem clear to me.

2.  On initial embarkation, are you still allowed to bring onboard one bottle of wine per person per cabin, no spirits or beer?

3. At each port you visit, I assume paragraph 2. applies?

Many thanks.

We have taken both wine and spirits for consumption in room and on occasion taken to the restaurant and paid corkage. Not bothered with beer or soft drinks but I believe there are no restrictions.  Have travelled from Southampton with carry on drinks in hand luggage and have also brought on board from port visits. We have just ordered mixers from room service.

You can select wine for your bar or spirits or both. You may also take a reasonable quantity of either or both. But, the Queen has an excellent wine cellar and the prices are 'reasonable', so you can get a selection for your dining or in room drinking.  Suitable glassware is provided for wine, champagne or spirits. 

Edited by Bigmike911

18 hours ago, RJChatsworth said:

I’m sure I read somewhere on the Cunard site...

The last time I read this (a couple of years ago, I admit) It said something along the lines of, "While we reserve the right to limit passengers to one bottle of wine, we do not intend to enforce it as a matter of routine."

I've taken on board gin, mixers, beer, champagne and wine before. No problems. Also picked up some in port occasionally - once in Kiel I had the staff at the port try stopping me, but a quick check with a Cunard employee and I was good to go.

I think it's a fair policy. I still spend a lot in the bars on board, but I also quite like picking up local beers / wines in ports. All these are strictly for stateroom consumption though (it's kind of trashy behaviour to go and fill up your glass from your in room stock whilst being sat in a bar on board!).

I'll be taking some beers with me on Tuesday I think. Normally it's a bottle of champagne for sail away, but given my wife is pregnant I'm not sure drinking an entire bottle of champagne on my own before going to the Commodore Club for pre dinner drinks is the best idea!

Edited by Ynox

In answer to Question 1

You order wine from Room service ( you ask for a copy of the wine list to be delivered if you are unsure of your preferred choice)

Additional glass wear  You request from your stateroom steward earlier in the day .

Ice : Request from room service any time of the day .

Nibbles/Canapés : Request from room service for a small additional charge . 

1 hour ago, BigMac1953 said:

Normally it's a bottle of champagne for sail away, but given my wife is pregnant I'm not sure drinking an entire bottle of champagne on my own before going to the Commodore Club for pre dinner drinks is the best idea!

Amateur!

🙂

You've maybe convinced me otherwise!

1 hour ago, Host Hattie said:

Or a half bottle ?

Half bottle is one option, but it means going out and picking one up, as opposed to just grabbing one from my stash here in my garage. 

1 hour ago, exlondoner said:

He may be concerned about exciting spousal jealousy.

That's a good point. I don't think my wife would be that happy if I drink 6 glasses of champagne on my own whilst she looks on enviously. Maybe if it was 6 glasses of Pol Acker it might be different though (she'd probably pity me 😁)

Edited by Ynox
  • Haha 3

I paid $46 for 'reasonable bottle' of NZ Sauvignon Blanc the other week in PG ( that included  the 15% service charge) I believe this was about the cheapest available .

Most of the wines ( Red/White) I chose during my week staycation cruise were priced at around $35/40 + 15%

Yes they will hold back your wine for the next evening .

Corkage is $25 

I wouldn't dream of hauling bottles of wine onboard for use in the restaurant and then pay an additional $25 corkage , unless it was a special vintage ,however, I do take a couple of bottles onboard to enjoy in the cabin for entertaining occasionally .🍷 

Edited by Bell Boy

Another question from a Cunard newbie - I watched a Youtube video today of the Queen’s Grill Suites and it was stated that the wine/spirits ordered were refreshed daily if used, note that this was from 2019. Does anyone know if this is still true? When we order 2 bottles  at the beginning of a TA are they refreshed if empty the next day? The video also pointed out beer in the mini-fridge. Is this also replaced the following day? Many thanks to those who respond.

Right up until the last day, your 2 bottles will be replenished when almost finished.

As I mentioned previously, I always request extra beers as they only put 4 in the fridge.

However, if you manage to drink 2 litres of spirits every day, I think you are due an award!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, BigMac1953 said:

Right up until the last day, your 2 bottles will be replenished when almost finished.

As I mentioned previously, I always request extra beers as they only put 4 in the fridge.

However, if you manage to drink 2 litres of spirits every day, I think you are due an award!

Thanks for answering my question. Parties? Not our style. 2 liters of spirits? Also not our style. But a bottle of wine split between 2 people sitting on a deck with good books? Absolutely!

• Like 1