Cozumel But No Costa Maya?

USVIcruizer

4 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

I think it was a ferry ride from Cozumel to the mainland.

However, if I take a cruise to Cozumel I have absolutely no need (or desire) to take a ferry to the mainland. If I want to visit somewhere on  the mainland I book a land vacation to the mainland. 

There is plenty to do on Cozumel, I have no need to waste a few hours traveling to and from the mainland during the limited port hours of a cruise ship stop.

Not everyone thinks like you do.  Some people like to explore.  Your attitude would put tour companies out of business. 

22 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Yes Grand Cayman is a separate country.

If you want to go to the mainland in Cozumel you take a ferry.

I was asking if anyone knows of looooong cruise that stops in Mexico and some place like Cuba, Jamaica.  Some place other than Grand Cayman.  It's not likely but I asked anyway.  It's more common to see a Mexico and Central America cruise.  I had booked a Southern Caribbean cruise which was canceled.  It did not include Mexico.

I am still confused by “both”.

There are typically western caribbean, eastern caribbean and southern Caribbean generally.

Offerings are limited obviously at the moment but plenty of cruises visit Jamaica normally. Cuba you have missed the window of opportunity presently. 

Some third party websites let you search according to where you want to visit. 

Edited by c-leg5

2 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Not everyone thinks like you do.  Some people like to explore.  Your attitude would put tour companies out of business. 

I have toured on the mainland FROM the mainland.

When in Cozumel “for the day” on a ship, I tour Cozumel. 

When in Cozumel for the month I may take the ferry to the mainland. 

Maybe I just have a more practical approach to my touring.

49 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

I have toured on the mainland FROM the mainland.

When in Cozumel “for the day” on a ship, I tour Cozumel. 

When in Cozumel for the month I may take the ferry to the mainland. 

Maybe I just have a more practical approach to my touring.

When you're on a cruise you choose the options in front of you.  If I wanted a land tour, I would fly.

1 hour ago, canderson said:

Preaching to the choir there!  We spend several weeks each year just a short distance north of Playa.  It's one of our favorite places to kick back.  Played the Nick Price course up there for the first time last March .. immaculate condition.

Some friends and I booked a condo for a week in Akumal.  Very nice but too many sea urchins on the beach.  There is a lagoon you can pay to snorkel in.

10 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Some friends and I booked a condo for a week in Akumal.  Very nice but too many sea urchins on the beach.  There is a lagoon you can pay to snorkel in.

I've driven by Akumal many times to visit with some friends who run a spider monkey sanctuary (The Jungle Place), a ways inland from Chemuyil, or when headed to Tulum area, but never took time to stop.  Should I make a point of it sometime?

Have heard about the sea urchins there.  Up north, our grandson got hooked up with some jellyfish.  Trouble is, you can't see the doggone things in the surf.  Also no bueno!

1 hour ago, canderson said:

I've driven by Akumal many times to visit with some friends who run a spider monkey sanctuary (The Jungle Place), a ways inland from Chemuyil, or when headed to Tulum area, but never took time to stop.  Should I make a point of it sometime?

Have heard about the sea urchins there.  Up north, our grandson got hooked up with some jellyfish.  Trouble is, you can't see the doggone things in the surf.  Also no bueno!

Akumal is nice but not much there to do other than snorkel in the lagoon.

9 hours ago, canderson said:

If you ever go back, just a short distance S on the 307 is a great little restaurant called Oscar & Lalo's.

Thanks.  We found a good restaurant a short walk from our condo.  I wish I could remember the name.

14 hours ago, zitsky said:

The ferry ride from Cozumel to Playa del Carmen (or reverse) can be very rough at times.  Keep in mind when going to Tulum to see the Mayan ruins.

That is all.

Thanks.

"Can be?" I think that ferry ride is notorious for being rough. 

I did a Tulum excursion with my BIL a number of years ago, and he puked his guts up both legs of the trip.

14 hours ago, zitsky said:

Yes Grand Cayman is a separate country.

If you want to go to the mainland in Cozumel you take a ferry.

I was asking if anyone knows of looooong cruise that stops in Mexico and some place like Cuba, Jamaica.  Some place other than Grand Cayman.  It's not likely but I asked anyway.  It's more common to see a Mexico and Central America cruise.  I had booked a Southern Caribbean cruise which was canceled.  It did not include Mexico.

Not entirely sure what you are asking. But the Constellation does 11 day cruises that hit cozumel, grand cayman, colombia, panama, and costa rica. And the reflection does 8 day cruises that hit nassau, jamaica, grand cayman, and cozumel.

Looking for answer to original questions . . . why can independent excursions occur in Cozumel but only Celebrity excursions in Costa Maya?  We're booked at private beach in Costa Maya (Maya Chan, repeat visit if we're allowed, to this awesome private beach) and have been told there is very little covid in Costa Maya.

18 minutes ago, bmw-atl said:

Looking for answer to original questions . . . why can independent excursions occur in Cozumel but only Celebrity excursions in Costa Maya?

You'll probably need to direct your question to the nation of Mexico or the Mexican state of Quintana Roo. I don't think anyone here has the answer. 

Regardless, it is what it is. 

On 9/12/2021 at 5:39 PM, c-leg5 said:

Is that a serious comment?

I think that’s probably true about most ports worldwide ….. and even safer if you stay at home. 

I would be interested to know which ports you consider safe? 

I know many cruisers just go along for the ride and that’s OK, I just wonder why you single out Mexico?

I can think of several ports where I have felt uneasy at times but Cozumel and Costa Maya don’t rank very high on that list.

Ports in the Yucatan peninsula are generally as safe as any other normally visited in the Caribbean.  Other parts of Mexico, not so much.  Much of Mexico has serious travel warnings from the State Department due to crime and kidnappings.  

On 9/13/2021 at 9:21 AM, sanger727 said:

Not entirely sure what you are asking. But the Constellation does 11 day cruises that hit cozumel, grand cayman, colombia, panama, and costa rica. And the reflection does 8 day cruises that hit nassau, jamaica, grand cayman, and cozumel.

Just saw this.  Yes, this is what I'm looking for.

On 9/12/2021 at 2:21 PM, LGW59 said:

Seems X is taking a more cautious approach perhaps?  

I'm thinking along those lines as well.  When we were on B2B in July, we were only allowed off the ship on our own in Costa Maya to go as far as the port shopping area.  We were not allowed off the ship at all in Cozumel without a curated tour.  However, their sister line, RCCL was allowed to explore the ports on their own.  Celebrity is right up front with which ports require curated tours and which don't (obviously can and does change at any time).  I cannot seem to get a straight answer from RCCL nor Princes regarding the same.  

7 hours ago, happycruiserco said:

I'm thinking along those lines as well.  When we were on B2B in July, we were only allowed off the ship on our own in Costa Maya to go as far as the port shopping area.  We were not allowed off the ship at all in Cozumel without a curated tour.  However, their sister line, RCCL was allowed to explore the ports on their own.  Celebrity is right up front with which ports require curated tours and which don't (obviously can and does change at any time).  I cannot seem to get a straight answer from RCCL nor Princes regarding the same.  

How do you know which ports require Celebrity tours?  Is it in the cruise planner?  And how early do they post that information?  My cruise isn't til next year but I'm browsing the excursions.

We also loved Costa Maya because of our lovely day at private beach Maya Chan.  They were wonderful - food, drinks, service, pet dogs, etc.  Loved it!  And that's reason we booked the cruise we did.  Other cruise lines are allowing guests to do on-their-own excursions.  I did see that Celebrity Edge has changed their itinerary to not even stop at Costa Maya (they added a port day), but I've not seen change yet for Celebrity Summit.

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

How do you know which ports require Celebrity tours?  Is it in the cruise planner?  And how early do they post that information?  My cruise isn't til next year but I'm browsing the excursions.

https://www.celebritycruises.com/healthy-at-sea/travel

Specifically,

https://www.celebritycruises.com/healthy-at-sea/us-travel-requirements

Edited by canderson

Yes, Maya Chan also told us to be sure we have proof of our reservation.  From what I can tell, Celebrity is the only cruise line not allowing independent excursions in Costa Maya.  I still have hope that we get to visit Maya Chan again next week (9/28).

9 minutes ago, bmw-atl said:

Yes, Maya Chan also told us to be sure we have proof of our reservation.  From what I can tell, Celebrity is the only cruise line not allowing independent excursions in Costa Maya.  I still have hope that we get to visit Maya Chan again next week (9/28).

Ask aboard about Private Journeys to see what they can come up with for arrangements and price.  Can't hurt.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, zitsky said:

16 hours ago, bmw-atl said:

YEAH.   Updated just today.  Follow the link posted by canderson above (Post #45).  Costa Maya has moved back over to the good side   (allowing on your own tours).  They can change at any time, unfortunately, even after you're on the ship, right up until docking.  At least with them just moving back to allowing on your own tours TODAY, looks like positive news for next week.   

Yes, I was happy to read the update that Costa Maya is allowed!  Hope that doesn't change but realize that it can.  Can't wait to be in my chair under the umbrella at Maya Chan next week!  Now hoping the weather also cooperates!  No tropical storms, please!

It appears Costa Maya is back on the schedule & that's great.  If I had to wager a guess why it was removed initially, I would say - Costa Maya had challenges getting their tourism business back up & running. 

When we visited Costa Maya on the Edge in July, you could do a celebrity excursion or wander the port area & shops on your own.  We wandering the port area; very few shops were open.  We spoke to one of the vendors & he explained many who worked in the industry had moved away during Covid to find other work.  In fact, he was driving in 2 hours each way each day a boat was in port just to open his shop.  Maybe as more ships are returning to service; more people are returning to the area.