Carnival has cancelled some more cruises over Xmas

rkmw

Oh dear, that's a bad sign. 

No news from Princess yet. There are three Xmas/NY cruises scheduled, one from Sydney, one from Melbourne, and one from Brisbane. All NZ itineraries but it's highly unlikely they'll go there, but there is a remote possibility they'd change the itineraries to Australian ports only. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Oh dear, that's a bad sign. 

No news from Princess yet. There are three Xmas/NY cruises scheduled, one from Sydney, one from Melbourne, and one from Brisbane. All NZ itineraries but it's highly unlikely they'll go there, but there is a remote possibility they'd change the itineraries to Australian ports only. 

Seeing that Carnival has cancelled over Xmas doesn’t look good for Princess or p&o

• Like 3

4 hours ago, rkmw said:

Just received an email that the Carnival Splendor is cancelled up to and including 14/1/22

Carnival Spirit is cancelled also up to and including 16/1/22

most probably p&o will follow 

Thanks hadn't heard that news. 

Family have New Year booked from Melb 11 nights to NZ on P&O and we are expecting it to be a casualty also.  A) it is further than 5 kms and B) NZ is not letting us go there yet or letting cruise ships in its waters.

Final payment is in about 4 weeks so would like some clarity soon.

• Like 1

One thing I have noticed is that you are unable to book Princess Christmas cruises departing around 20th December from either Melbourne, Sydney or Brisbane on their website.  They are all listed but say "currently not available".  Have these been cancelled or just in limbo?  Surely not all are fully booked.

First cruises available for booking are early January.

26 minutes ago, Ondine said:

One thing I have noticed is that you are unable to book Princess Christmas cruises departing around 20th December from either Melbourne, Sydney or Brisbane on their website.  They are all listed but say "currently not available".  Have these been cancelled or just in limbo?  Surely not all are fully booked.

First cruises available for booking are early January.

The Sydney one was quite heavily booked when I booked a cabin at the beginning of August so they could quite possibly be fully booked by now, after all they are Xmas cruises. They went to "currently not available" at least two weeks ago.

The other possibility is they aren't taking any more bookings since they aren't sure whether they'll go ahead. We should hear in the next week or so if they're cancelled.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

The Sydney one was quite heavily booked when I booked a cabin at the beginning of August so they could quite possibly be fully booked by now, after all they are Xmas cruises. They went to "currently not available" at least two weeks ago.

The other possibility is they aren't taking any more bookings since they aren't sure whether they'll go ahead. We should hear in the next week or so if they're cancelled.

So approximately when the government announced the extension to 17th Dec.  When is final payment due?  Waiting game.

58 minutes ago, Ondine said:

So approximately when the government announced the extension to 17th Dec.  When is final payment due?  Waiting game.

6th October is final payment for the Sydney departure.

I think they were "currently not available"  before that government announcement, and given that cruise lines already cancelled cruises up to 19th December I imagine they expected the ban to be extended to 17th December when they announced those cancellations a couple of months ago.

• Like 1

Hi

we had our April 2022 Celebrity cruise to Japan cancelled yesterday and put on cruise critic that I was fed up with Celebrity as it is a long way off.   I had 2020 booked and moved to 2022.

well I got well and truly plumped  by some US reader.

living in Melbourne and on our 6th lockdown, I was so disappointed that’s all.

not allowed to see Grandkids, and friends , just so disappointed.

perhaps people do not comprehend!,

anyway love this website..

eileen

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cruisers47 said:

Hi

we had our April 2022 Celebrity cruise to Japan cancelled yesterday and put on cruise critic that I was fed up with Celebrity as it is a long way off.   I had 2020 booked and moved to 2022.

well I got well and truly plumped  by some US reader.

living in Melbourne and on our 6th lockdown, I was so disappointed that’s all.

not allowed to see Grandkids, and friends , just so disappointed.

perhaps people do not comprehend!,

anyway love this website..

eileen

Celebrity doesn't have as many ships as some of the other cruise lines that cruise here and around Japan so may have decided not to focus on this part of the world. Silly them!  But I think they relybon a high percentage of US cruisers to fill their ships. Certainly on the three NZ cruises we've done with them there was a higher than expected percentage passengers from the US, and also from the UK. 

We were a bit disappointed with our last Celebrity cruise so have decided to drop them from our preferred cruise lines for a while. We primarily cruise Princess though and the two are close in terms of quality. Princess have some great Japan itineraries. I'm eyeing a few mid-year if the two cruises we currently have booked before then don't happen. 

Hang in there! There are several Melbourne regulars here so we all understand what you are going through. 😘