Yacht Club Questions - Meraviglia (Oct 2021)

cdel71

Miami sailing in Oct 2021 on the Meraviglia - YC - First MSC Cruise, so I have a few questions, since I've never experienced MSC before nor the YC.  

Apologies up front if these have already been answered.  

1.  What is the cost to go from Browse to Stream?  Do I do this as soon as I get onboard, I heard any changes to devices or packages is an IT nightmare??

2.  Can you upgrade 1 device to Stream (vs both)?

3.  Tried to add 3-night specialty dining to my booking, which is already paid for, wouldn't let me.  Can you buy on-board at concierge desk, I assume so??

3b.  Do I even need specialty dining?   Is the YC private restaurant good enough where I won't need it?   

3c.  I see Filet Mignon "Always available", on the YC menu - Is it as good as Butcher's cut filet??  I just assume it's smaller than 8oz, but is the quality the same??

4.  Drinks - YC upgrades me to what?   Premium (up to $12, or Premium-Plus - no $$ limit)??

I see the sailings in Summer/Fall (for drink packages) have just about everything listed under Premium (but not all of course).  Do you just pay the extra above $12 if more than that?    Hoping it's Premium-Plus, but not holding my breathe.....

39 minutes ago, cdel71 said:

Miami sailing in Oct 2021 on the Meraviglia - YC - First MSC Cruise, so I have a few questions, since I've never experienced MSC before nor the YC.  

1.  What is the cost to go from Browse to Stream?  Do I do this as soon as I get onboard, I heard any changes to devices or packages is an IT nightmare??

3.  Tried to add 3-night specialty dining to my booking, which is already paid for, wouldn't let me.  Can you buy on-board at concierge desk, I assume so??

3b.  Do I even need specialty dining?   Is the YC private restaurant good enough where I won't need it?   

3c.  I see Filet Mignon "Always available", on the YC menu - Is it as good as Butcher's cut filet??  I just assume it's smaller than 8oz, but is the quality the same??

4.  Drinks - YC upgrades me to what?   Premium (up to $12, or Premium-Plus - no $$ limit)??

I see the sailings in Summer/Fall (for drink packages) have just about everything listed under Premium (but not all of course).  Do you just pay the extra above $12 if more than that?    Hoping it's Premium-Plus, but not holding my breathe.....

For #4, it's not straightforward. However, unless you like high end champagnes/wines or super high end liquors, you will be fine. If, however, you run across something not on the "approved" list, you pay full cost...not the difference.

Is there a specific liquor you are looking for?

1 minute ago, cdel71 said:

Grey Goose VX 

Well...no 😞 But that's because it isn't on this ship. I wish it was, I love the stuff. Regular Grey Goose is there, tho.

This will tell you what they have...*in general*. Since this is MSC, YMMV. But the basics like Grey Goose, and Belvadere will always be there.

Note, starting next year this will all change (the link below explains this...)

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/on-board/dining-drinks/drink-comparison-chart

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, alyssamma said:

Oh, and when in Oct are you sailing? I'm on the 10/2 sailing...

Week after you (10/9) - Cancelled my Celebrity sailing to Jan 2022 (Captain Kate is back), and booked the 9th sailing on Meraviglia w/YC.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, alyssamma said:

Deciding to buy a drink package or not, and if so, which one?  It's almost becoming as difficult of a decision as to which car to buy!  And, still, looking at the list:  No Green Creme de Menthe!  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alyssamma said:

Not next year, this fall.
Check chart for start date for ship.  Divina is Oct 31.

We are on the first sailing of Meraviglia ( Nov 13) that has the updated Fall/ Winter Drink package.

We are in YC and most of us are “banking” on the premium extra as the package for YC. Will be interesting  if they raise price per glass of wines outside of YC.

Edited by phissy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, cdel71 said:

3.  Tried to add 3-night specialty dining to my booking, which is already paid for, wouldn't let me.  Can you buy on-board at concierge desk, I assume so?? Yes you can go to the Concierge desk and they will do that for you. 

3b.  Do I even need specialty dining?   Is the YC private restaurant good enough where I won't need it?   We didn’t feel we needed to as we had beautiful food and fab service in the YC . We  were put off by the 3-night speciality dinning limiting you to certain dishes and not the dishes we liked on the menu. Of course we could have then and paid a la carte but as I said YC was excellent.

3c.  I see Filet Mignon "Always available", on the YC menu - Is it as good as Butcher's cut filet??  I just assume it's smaller than 8oz, but is the quality the same?? It was excellent I’d guess 6-7oz but you could do a surf and turf if you wanted just ask. 

4.  Drinks - YC upgrades me to what?   Premium (up to $12, or Premium-Plus - no $$ limit)?? It’s Premium but we were happy with that for top shelf and cocktails. My only reservation was the wines available. I understand that unlike NCL you don’t just pay the difference but the full cost of drinks not on the Premium list. 

If I understood correctly, if a drink is $14, and since it's over $12, is not covered by the premium drink package (what the YC upgrades me to), I'd have to pay the full amount vs. the $2 overage + 20% tip - is that correct?

Thanks @ppcox - I will forgo the specialty dining, and just get the filet in the YC restaurant, or maybe a surf and turf as you suggested!

Need to find out about Streaming cost to upgrade, wife needs the ability to do Facetime vs. just texting or email.

27 minutes ago, cdel71 said:

If I understood correctly, if a drink is $14, and since it's over $12, is not covered by the premium drink package (what the YC upgrades me to), I'd have to pay the full amount vs. the $2 overage + 20% tip - is that correct?

Thanks @ppcox - I will forgo the specialty dining, and just get the filet in the YC restaurant, or maybe a surf and turf as you suggested!

Need to find out about Streaming cost to upgrade, wife needs the ability to do Facetime vs. just texting or email.

Correct...except in the YC you don't *exactly* have premium...you have YC...which is "sort of" like premium.

So many drinks that are > $12 *are* covered...you basically have to ask to check. And even when you ask, make sure they check on the computer, because the bartenders often assume <$12 = not covered, which *isn't* correct.

However, if it truly isn't covered, then yes, $14 + gratuities, etc.

We just had most of our drinks in the YC.  

They are very accommodating and will try to give you what you want.

When I ordered champagne at dinner first night, waiter held up bottle for restaurant manager. He nodded and then on it was not a problem.

Outside the YC, we had trouble getting a glass of champagne without additional charge. This was when YC had the highest drink package.  Went back to YC and ordered it there.

Mentioned this to concierge, he said it should have been included. Staff on main part of ship were not up on YC inclusions.  Same when we went to Butchers Cut for dinner.  They said we could only have house wine.  

We just stuck to YC for our drinks.  Took them to venues after.

Edited by phissy

6 minutes ago, alyssamma said:

Correct...except in the YC you don't *exactly* have premium...you have YC...which is "sort of" like premium.

So many drinks that are > $12 *are* covered...you basically have to ask to check. And even when you ask, make sure they check on the computer, because the bartenders often assume <$12 = not covered, which *isn't* correct.

However, if it truly isn't covered, then yes, $14 + gratuities, etc.

Got it!    I'll make friends with the YC bartenders, since it appears they are like 10-15% sold at this point for my sailing.  Maybe they'll fill up with the MSC UpGrades program they have, but doesn't sounds like many for the YC yet with only 3 weeks to go.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, cdel71 said:

On my 7 day cruise, I have the option to purchase  browse  and Stream - 1 device $100.73 pp and 2 devices is $179.06 per person. We are in YC. Since Browse ( 2 devices) is included (134.26pp) wonder if it would be the difference?  Not able to do it online. Probably onboard.  Remember, concierge is your best friend while onboard.

Not sure you need specialty package.  Up to you.   We have a specialty dinner because we are Diamond but, it was disappointing. We should have stayed and eaten in YC Dining room.  Remember, you do not need to stick to menu of the day.  

Not sure upgrading to Premium Plus is needed.  Not included in YC booking. 

Fun Pass is $80

10 minutes ago, phissy said:

On my 7 day cruise, I have the option to purchase  browse  and Stream - 1 device $100.73 pp and 2 devices is $179.06 per person. We are in YC. Since Browse ( 2 devices) is included (134.26pp) wonder if it would be the difference?  Not able to do it online. Probably onboard.  Remember, concierge is your best friend while onboard.

Not sure you need specialty package.  Up to you.   We have a specialty dinner because we are Diamond but, it was disappointing. We should have stayed and eaten in YC Dining room.  Remember, you do not need to stick to menu of the day.  

Not sure upgrading to Premium Plus is needed.  Not included in YC booking. 

Fun Pass is $80

I hate to hit up the concierge desk right away, but probably will to get 1 of our devices upgraded to Stream - Maybe $20 for 1, or if forced to do both, maybe $40 (not too bad I guess).

Pretty sure now we'll just stick with the YC Dining room, and venture out for Ice Cream or Gelato (I'm sure they have it somewhere), and of course we've been told to try the pizza too!

No idea what the "Fun Pass" is, or what it includes, but you've peaked my curiosity - LOL

Edited by cdel71

28 minutes ago, miataman19 said:

Sailing on the Meraviglia Oct. 2nd in the YC. Does anyone know the price to upgrade to the better drink package. We like the higher end Bourbons and Scotchs, also the better Champagnes. So it would make sense for us to upgrade.Thanks

I could have sworn I saw another thread where a gent paid $17 per person / per day to upgrade from YC (Premium) to Premium-Plus.  I couldn't find the thread, but maybe if they read this thread they'll comment.  He said it was worth it to them because they were drinking some very top shelf champagne.

I upgraded to Premium Plus Beverage Package and it was between $17 and $20 per day.  Totally worth it and recommend it.  I do like wine with dinner though.  The Yacht Club Staff actually tried to dissuade me from it but I insisted on finding out about it.  I would totally do it again.  I will have to see how it is done after the new package kicks in.

11 minutes ago, cdel71 said:

I could have sworn I saw another thread where a gent paid $17 per person / per day to upgrade from YC (Premium) to Premium-Plus.  I couldn't find the thread, but maybe if they read this thread they'll comment.  He said it was worth it to them because they were drinking some very top shelf champagne.

On our last cruise in YC the upgrade to PP was $17/day.  Yes it was worth it.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, LeCommandant said:

YC includes the Browse package with 2 devices by guest. You cannot change the devices once they have been connected. 

Pro tip: with a VPN, you will have access to everything you want to, without the Browse and Stream package 😉 

Did I read that correctly, that I get 4 devices total, since there are 2 of us in the stateroom?

Great tip here, we use SurfShark VPN, so if that works, I may not need to upgrade to browse and stream after-all.

4 minutes ago, cdel71 said:

Did I read that correctly, that I get 4 devices total, since there are 2 of us in the stateroom?

Great tip here, we use SurfShark VPN, so if that works, I may not need to upgrade to browse and stream after-all.

Yes 2 devices per guest, 4 in total when 2 people in the stateroom 🙂 

All I tell you here is true for Mediterranean YC cruise, but I think it is a worldwide policy 🙂 

1 minute ago, LeCommandant said:

Yes 2 devices per guest, 4 in total when 2 people in the stateroom 🙂 

All I tell you here is true for Mediterranean YC cruise, but I think it is a worldwide policy 🙂 

Great news!

Now to figure out how to upgrade my YC (Premium) to Premium-Plus, so I don't get nickel'd and dime'd when ordering Top Tier brands.   I guess a trip to the concierge desk will need to be made upon embarkation (or maybe the YC Top Sail Bar can upgrade me).

10 minutes ago, Gatordad1967 said:

we bailed on 9/25 to jump to MSC because no Kate, lol.  But don't say that on the celebrity board.

Same reason we bailed, wife really wants to see/meet her, so we cancelled.   Happy wife, happy life, right!  🙂

• Like 1