Traveling companion tests positive at the 48 hour mark....

Woodfaerie

I understand the 48 hour covid test was implemented as of the 13th so there can't be too much experience on this yet but What Would You Do if your traveling companion's 48 hour test came out positive, your's negative?  Would you cancel and get the FCC credit and try to salvage what's left of all the other reservations for those who fly down and get a hotel?

I understand that if anyone sharing your stateroom is positive within 14 days of sailing and/or for the 48 hour covid test, you can cancel and get a FCC with the proper documentation showing a positive test.   I sail out next weekend. DD and I want to be prepared for all possibilities but we are on the fence as to what we would do in such a scenario.  Just dunno about going solo if that's what it comes down to.

10 minutes ago, Woodfaerie said:

I understand the 48 hour covid test was implemented as of the 13th so there can't be too much experience on this yet but What Would You Do if your traveling companion's 48 hour test came out positive, your's negative?  Would you cancel and get the FCC credit and try to salvage what's left of all the other reservations for those who fly down and get a hotel?

I understand that if anyone sharing your stateroom is positive within 14 days of sailing and/or for the 48 hour covid test, you can cancel and get a FCC with the proper documentation showing a positive test.   I sail out next weekend. DD and I want to be prepared for all possibilities but we are on the fence as to what we would do in such a scenario.  Just dunno about going solo if that's what it comes down to.

It is right on the Return to Service FAQ's.

Any guest who tests positive at embarkation, and their traveling companions in the same stateroom along with other close contacts, will not be able to cruise and will be provided a future cruise credit.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, tm_aw_love said:

It is right on the Return to Service FAQ's.

Any guest who tests positive at embarkation, and their traveling companions in the same stateroom along with other close contacts, will not be able to cruise and will be provided a future cruise credit.

Thank you. I did not see that most important paragraph.  That settles that!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, grumpyjr88 said:

I wonder how many cancellations there's been because of one person testing positive. 😢

there hasn't been any kicking and screaming around other than the one lady on YouTube about a month or so ago. I know my only stressor at the moment for our cruise is if anyone tests positive in my family. My daughter asked if I would get mad at her if she tested positive. I told her none of us have control of that situation. We can only do so much to prevent contracting and will hope what we are doing will still work. But if any of us test positive, then we cancel and start the marathon of recovering all that we can from what was spent.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Woodfaerie said:

This is just one scenario that keep people from cruising. Not everyone wants to take chances, so they just dont book right now. 

5 hours ago, BoozinCroozin said:

tMy daughter asked if I would get mad at her if she tested positive. I told her none of us have control of that situation. We can only do so much to prevent contracting and will hope what we are doing will still work. But if any of us test positive, then we cancel and start the marathon of recovering all that we can from what was spent.

Bless. 💚 I think us adults forget how much the kiddos hear and absorb what's going on around them and how it stresses them out too. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, grumpyjr88 said:

Bless. 💚 I think us adults forget how much the kiddos hear and absorb what's going on around them and how it stresses them out too. 

Exactly. I told her as much as we needed the vacation, covid is out of our hands. If it forces us to cancel, it will be a let down, but no one is too blame it get upset. Roll with the punches and get ready for the one in April.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, grumpyjr88 said:

I wonder how many cancellations there's been because of one person testing positive. 😢

6 hours ago, BoozinCroozin said:

there hasn't been any kicking and screaming around other than the one lady on YouTube about a month or so ago. I know my only stressor at the moment for our cruise is if anyone tests positive in my family. My daughter asked if I would get mad at her if she tested positive. I told her none of us have control of that situation. We can only do so much to prevent contracting and will hope what we are doing will still work. But if any of us test positive, then we cancel and start the marathon of recovering all that we can from what was spent.

My first thought was what spouse would dare get on the ship? 😝

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Bob Bob said:

Can you take a second test ?

Could be a false result

There are false positives.

We got the 6 pack of emed BINAX NOW tests.  If once of us tests positive for our 10/17 cruise we will have them do a 2nd test.

• Like 2

In my case, my "cruise cabin companion" is a woman I have traveled with in the past who lives in another state, and whom I have not seen (in person) in 10 months.  If she tested positive prior to traveling for the cruise, I would simply remove her name from the reservation and go by myself.

But mine is an entirely different scenario than a married couple, folks traveling together, etc.

Edited by Brkintx

If, on the other hand, I tested positive (even if I felt it to be false and later tested negative)...  I would still answer the "In the past 14 days have you received a positive Covid test result?" question honestly and cancel / reschedule.

The reality is that false negatives are much much more likely than a false positive.

This may be a perspective thing, as I evaluate risk for a living. While the risk of spread / illness / etc. is minute, the resulting impact is potentially significant enough to leave me with the conclusion that the correct thing, for me, to do is reschedule.

last week my wife was sick and took a home test bought at the local pharmacy, not the Abbott test.  She tested positive.  She went the next day to the doctor to get tested and that test was negative.  The first test was a false positive.  I tested negative on both tests.  

Edited by dallasdan

1 hour ago, Brkintx said:

I would simply remove her name from the reservation and go by myself 

When you inform Carnival she isn't travelling she will not be refunded the port fees and taxes she paid. Many in this situation stay mum at check in and if asked where she is they indicate the person will be coming later to check in as you do not travel together on sailing day. 

• Like 1

Just now, sanmarcosman said:

When you inform Carnival she isn't travelling she will not be refunded the port fees and taxes she paid. Many in this situation stay mum at check in and if asked where she is they indicate the person will be coming later to check in as you do not travel together on sailing day. 

Good info - and I hadn't really realized consciously that such a refund would be due...  Makes sense though.

• Like 1