Unvaccinated Children

87turboii

Hello,

I understand that children under 12 will get a test before boarding by Royal Caribbean staff, can anybody who has sailed recently tell me if this is a deep nasal test or if its just in the nose and how your kids did with it?

Also if they happen to test positive, I am assuming we would all get a refund as a credit and not cash back on our credit card?

I've had this test done over 50 times, trust me, it's nothing to worry about.  They don't go as far up the nose as people tend to think, even with the PCR test.  The most that has ever happened to me was my eyes started to water, but that was because the person administering the test was new.

I was even PCR tested today and honestly, I didn't even feel it.  I've also had the POC, BINEX, and cheek swab all done.  With the exception of the cheek swab, I've had all the tests done repeatedly.  I've had the single nose swab, double nose swab, you name it, and never felt it.

• Like 1

My daughter is 7.  She took it three days ago.  She did not have a problem with it at all.  The kid before us however put on a full show.  She was yelling and screaming and giving all the kids waiting anxiety.  When she was done, she ran from behind the curtain and dived face first onto the floor.  I thought that I was going to have to give my daughter a pep talk afterwards, but she was fine.  After the test, she giggled and asked why the other kid was such a drama queen.

All of the kids that took the test while we were waiting minus the one, handled it the same as my daughter. Hopefully your kids will fall into the majority.  Happy cruising.  

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, gelli8112 said:

My daughter is 7.  She took it three days ago.  She did not have a problem with it at all.  The kid before us however put on a full show.  She was yelling and screaming and giving all the kids waiting anxiety.  When she was done, she ran from behind the curtain and dived face first onto the floor.  I thought that I was going to have to give my daughter a pep talk afterwards, but she was fine.  After the test, she giggled and asked why the other kid was such a drama queen.

All of the kids that took the test while we were waiting minus the one, handled it the same as my daughter. Hopefully your kids will fall into the majority.  Happy cruising.  

My youngest (6), he was fine with the pre-cruise test, he was fine with the terminal pre-cruise test, he was fine with the day 6 morning antigen test.  When the day 6 antigen test came back positive for abnormalities and the doctor onboard wanted to do a PCR, he freaked out like you wouldn't believe.  Kids are weird like that.  I think the PCR one has a chemical on it that burned his nose a bit and set him off (but apparently not the PCR at the terminal?  Who knows).  Thankfully the PCR came back negative after an hour quarantined in the stateroom and we were able to enjoy CocoCay 🙂

On 9/20/2021 at 8:26 PM, 87turboii said:

I understand that children under 12 will get a test before boarding by Royal Caribbean staff, can anybody who has sailed recently tell me if this is a deep nasal test or if its just in the nose and how your kids did with it? 

These are antigen rapid tests. The just the tip of the q-tip is inserted into the front of the nostril and swirled to take a sample. You could even show your kids (on yourself) what will happen (I would not do it on them, because it may pre-disposition them to the fact that they hate it). You will be doing it a couple of days prior to cruise.