Birth Certificate vs Passport

Eveann

8 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

My friends, neither OR or CA have the Enhanced Driver's Licenses.  There is a difference between Enhanced DL and Real ID.  If you presented only your Real ID Driver's License  at Pier 66 or 91 to board a ship to Alaska you would be denied boarding.  You would also need your US gov't issued birth certificate along with your CA or OR Real ID DL to board the ship.

It is confusing - but as someone who works at checking in passengers, I can't tell you how many people have arrived at the pier without the needed documentation.  It was even worst this season since the ships were not stopping in Canada and many passengers assumed, or were erroneously told by their travel agents that they didn't need passports to sail.  The ships going to Alaska are foreign flagged and traveling in Canadian waters.  Proof of citizenship is needed.  

Well put!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

You have a unique voyage.  There are no foreign ports for you.  If one does not want to spend the money on a full passport, I would at least recommend a passport card.  I can't imagine becoming ill, taken off the ship at a foreign port, and having to deal with the paper work to get you back to your country.  It is like any other insurance.  You may not need it, but if you do....

Everyone on the Majestic Princess had to have either a passport, passport card, Enhanced DL (MI, MN, NY, VT, WA), or a US gov't issued birth certificate to board the ship.  The cruise lines send out informational notices to passengers reminding them of the documents requires.  Passengers are required to click 'I agree' acknowledging this information.  Sadly, not everyone reads it.  There are passengers left behind nearly every sailing day due to not having the needed documents.

• Like 1

And of course, THIS year, the Alaska itineraries do not include a foreign port. However, I read that one of the shore excursions from Skagway was able to operate this year and take you into the Yukon and the passengers on the bus DID need to show their passports.

Would I want to be stuck in Ensenada with a broken leg while I try to sort out the details to fly home? No!

Just get the Passport! It is good for ten years! We have lived in Oregon and Washington and have never messed with the Enhanced ID.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Everyone on the Majestic Princess had to have either a passport, passport card, Enhanced DL (MI, MN, NY, VT, WA), or a US gov't issued birth certificate to board the ship.  The cruise lines send out informational notices to passengers reminding them of the documents requires.  Passengers are required to click 'I agree' acknowledging this information.  Sadly, not everyone reads it.  There are passengers left behind nearly every sailing day due to not having the needed documents.

Thanks for adding my exclusion.  I was responding to the need for a passport, but a certified birth certificated and government ID suffices for closed loop cruises.  I still would not sail without a passport.  Too risky for me.

• Like 1

On 9/26/2021 at 2:02 AM, Eveann said:

We have a cruise to sail  January 16 , 22 from San Francisco  to Hawaii and back.  This is our first cruise on Princess.  Are  U.S. Birth  certificate has always all we needed in the past.  Now trying to fill  out the medallion app it's asking for a passport.  I'm worried if we apply for one now there's a chance it wouldn't be back in time.  So question is has anyone ever used just their birth certificate 

Hello Eveann!!  We will be on the same cruise with you!!  We did this cruise in 2019 and loved it so much we booked it again!  We have our passports.  If you can, I would urge you to get yours too.

See you on board!!

4 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Thanks for adding my exclusion.  I was responding to the need for a passport, but a certified birth certificated and government ID suffices for closed loop cruises.  I still would not sail without a passport.  Too risky for me.

Agreed!

NB:

The most important difference between U.S. passport books and passport cards is that passport cards are not valid for international air travel; they're only acceptable for land and sea border crossings between the U.S., Canada, Mexico, Bermuda and the Caribbean.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=1913

• Thanks 1