Onboard the QE sun voyage, 24 Sept to 1 Oct

DaisyDancer

Here's a view from the QE bridge webcam. There appears to be some land on the horizon. QE's been sailing west (confirmed by the sun's position) more than 20 NM north of the Spanish coast. This could be a good candidate for a new "cruise-by" location for our "Where in the World?" game if I could work out what that land is. 🙂

qel.jpg.51039a2695fffb4d50603c3f0e13c6e1.jpg

• Like 1

QE has been sailing north since last night. QM2 has continued to sail south after leaving the shipyard in Brest yesterday morning. Those two Cunard ships passed each other going opposite directions in the Bay of Biscay an hour or two ago at a distance of about 30 to 35 NM, QE to the east and QM2 to the west.

Edited by bluemarble

I just noticed this massive group of sailboats (in pink) just north of QE as seen on the marinetraffic app. Apparently this is the "23rd Mini Transat EuroChef" race from Les Sables d’Olonne, France to Santa Cruz de La Palma in the Canary Islands. It got underway at 3:30pm local time Monday. After the diversion toward La Rochelle for the medivac earlier, I suppose this has called for some extra vigilance on the QE bridge tonight.

Screenshot_20210927-213458_MarineTraffic.thumb.jpg.459ddedb223f371a0c511436195dfe64.jpg

Edited by bluemarble

Update to my last post. QE's position in that screenshot was several hours old. It's her last position before going out of range of terrestrial AIS. I should have used cruisemapper so as not to be confused by a stale ship position (as we've been discussing on another thread). 😉 Still an impressive sight to see that massive group of sailboats in the general vicinity of both QE and QM2.

6 hours ago, bluemarble said:

I just noticed this massive group of sailboats (in pink) just north of QE as seen on the marinetraffic app. Apparently this is the "23rd Mini Transat EuroChef" race from Les Sables d’Olonne, France to Santa Cruz de La Palma in the Canary Islands. It got underway at 3:30pm local time Monday. After the diversion toward La Rochelle for the medivac earlier, I suppose this has called for some extra vigilance on the QE bridge tonight.

Screenshot_20210927-213458_MarineTraffic.thumb.jpg.459ddedb223f371a0c511436195dfe64.jpg

I am astonished they are going to La Palma at present. Isn't that island where the major volcanic eruption is, and won't they be busy dealing with that?

2 hours ago, exlondoner said:

I am astonished they are going to La Palma at present. Isn't that island where the major volcanic eruption is, and won't they be busy dealing with that?

As I've read more about this race, La Palma is the first leg of a race to Saint-François, Guadeloupe. As of now they are still planning the stopover at La Palma. Race officials have been advised conditions are satisfactory at the marina on the northwest coast of the island where they are headed. They have set up a virtual race gate near the Selvagens Islands and will make a final determination on where to go from there this weekend.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

And let us know what a nice time you are/we're having.

Thanks. Urgent info for all passengers embarking today QE will be berthed in Mayflower Terminal NOT Ocean as previously notified. Everyone is now required to arrive at Mayflower. Please pass on.