Recent Experience with no wine sommelier in MDR

FlaMariner

11 hours ago, taxmantoo said:

The Cellar Master is essentially the "caretaker" of the wine onboard a ship.  They are responsible for maintaining the inventory, ordering supplies, marketing wine onboard, conducting wine tastings, providing basic training to the servers (whether they be called wine stewards, wine attendants, bar servers or waiters, etc.)  These functions are still required whether you have wine stewards or not.

I beg to differ with your thinking.  For years and years, there was no Cellar Master position on a HAL ship.  I was aboard the Noordam on a Caribbean cruise from New York when their first Cellar Master came aboard mid-cruise.  Wine service was as expected before she arrived.  It deteriorated after her arrival.  

The Cellar Master's attendance at a wine tasting or a "Sip and Savor" too often is pretentious and designed to "sell" a specific red and white wine.  

11 hours ago, taxmantoo said:

These functions are still required whether you have wine stewards or not.

Yes, these functions are still required (other than maybe the Sip and Savor type events).  But, ought that not be the responsibility of the Culinary Operations Manager directing the Beverage Manager and the Assistant Beverage Manager to fulfill these responsibilities?  

If job reductions need to be done to save some salary money, the Cellar Master position would be close to the head of my list if I was a CFO.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I beg to differ with your thinking.  For years and years, there was no Cellar Master position on a HAL ship.  I was aboard the Noordam on a Caribbean cruise from New York when their first Cellar Master came aboard mid-cruise.  Wine service was as expected before she arrived.  It deteriorated after her arrival.  

The Cellar Master's attendance at a wine tasting or a "Sip and Savor" too often is pretentious and designed to "sell" a specific red and white wine.  

Yes, these functions are still required (other than maybe the Sip and Savor type events).  But, ought that not be the responsibility of the Culinary Operations Manager directing the Beverage Manager and the Assistant Beverage Manager to fulfill these responsibilities?  

If job reductions need to be done to save some salary money, the Cellar Master position would be close to the head of my list if I was a CFO.  

You can beg to differ all you want, I was just stating what the "current duties" of the Cellar Master onboard a HAL ship are according to their "current" job description and status among the ship's officers.  That information is publicly available.  You may have a different perception of what their duties "should" be but that does not change what their duties actually are. 

• Thanks 2

20 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

How sad; that would really dampen the experience, I'd think!

I remember a Holland America cellar master named Gilroy.   He was a great big, sweet man from India, and my favorite cellar master ever.  He never let his extensive knowledge and experience with fine wines get in the way of his friendliness and humility.  Gilroy was anything but pretentious; he was downright loveable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

I stand by what I posted.  The Cellar Master position is not needed.  It's pretentious.  And, most of those whom I have encountered fit that definition of pretentious.  

OK, you win. I submit to your superior knowledge of wine and all things wine related.  Now, let's move on! 

For those who understand, no explanation is needed.
For those who do not understand, no explanation is possible.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, tuolumne couple said:

Related or not related, has anyone seen or taken a picture of the new sommelier suite wine package list? Or is it now just called the person who servers your wine list LOL. Love to try the wines before we are on board, and sample beforehand.

SOMMELIER SUITE CELLAR NO. 1

Our extensive selection includes Piedra Negra Torrontes, Danzante Pinot Grigio, Caliterra Chardonnay, The Dreaming Tree Chardonnay, Greystone Sauvignon Blanc, Kung Fu Girl Riesling, Ruffino Moscato d’Asti, Puerto Viejo Carménère, Frescobaldi Rèmole, Deakin Estate Shiraz, Los Riscos Merlot, Château des Trois Tours Bordeaux, Estancia Pinot Noir, Toro de Piedra and Cabernet Sauvignon.

SOMMELIER SUITE CELLAR NO. 2

Our extensive selection includes Le Grand Courtâge Brut, Simi Chardonnay, Chateau Ste. Michelle Riesling, Estancia Pinot Grigio, Nobilo Sauvignon Blanc, Franciscan “Equilibrium” White Blend, Domaine Les Salices Chardonnay, Chateau Smith Cabernet Sauvignon, Clos du Bois Merlot, Meiomi Pinot Noir, Frescobaldi Castiglioni Chianti, Decero Cabernet Sauvignon, Cuarto Dominio Lote 44 Malbec and Sextant Zinfandel.

SOMMELIER SUITE CELLAR NO. 3

Our extensive selection includes Villa Sandi “il Fresco” Prosecco, Chamisal “Stainless” Chardonnay, Drylands Sauvignon Blanc, Big Easy Chenin Blanc, Laurenz V “Singing” Grüner Veltliner, La Fontana Albariño, Meiomi Rosé, Arboleda Cabernet Sauvignon, Estancia Meritage, Hangtime Pinot Noir, Diseño Malbec, Chateau du Trignon Côtes du Rhône, Solar Viejo Rioja and Boom Boom Syrah.

Edited by taxmantoo
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, taxmantoo said:

Our extensive selection includes Piedra Negra Torrontes, Danzante Pinot Grigio, Caliterra Chardonnay, The Dreaming Tree Chardonnay, Greystone Sauvignon Blanc, Kung Fu Girl Riesling, Ruffino Moscato d’Asti, Puerto Viejo Carménère, Frescobaldi Rèmole, Deakin Estate Shiraz, Los Riscos Merlot, Château des Trois Tours Bordeaux, Estancia Pinot Noir, Toro de Piedra and Cabernet Sauvignon.

Our extensive selection includes Le Grand Courtâge Brut, Simi Chardonnay, Chateau Ste. Michelle Riesling, Estancia Pinot Grigio, Nobilo Sauvignon Blanc, Franciscan “Equilibrium” White Blend, Domaine Les Salices Chardonnay, Chateau Smith Cabernet Sauvignon, Clos du Bois Merlot, Meiomi Pinot Noir, Frescobaldi Castiglioni Chianti, Decero Cabernet Sauvignon, Cuarto Dominio Lote 44 Malbec and Sextant Zinfandel.

Our extensive selection includes Villa Sandi “il Fresco” Prosecco, Chamisal “Stainless” Chardonnay, Drylands Sauvignon Blanc, Big Easy Chenin Blanc, Laurenz V “Singing” Grüner Veltliner, La Fontana Albariño, Meiomi Rosé, Arboleda Cabernet Sauvignon, Estancia Meritage, Hangtime Pinot Noir, Diseño Malbec, Chateau du Trignon Côtes du Rhône, Solar Viejo Rioja and Boom Boom Syrah.

amazing. thank you so much!! Just what i was looking for!

15 hours ago, taxmantoo said:

Thank you for the updated listing Louis 🙂 

I see a number of changes and additions and yay, a wine I loved at a Cellar Master dinner is now in #3.  I’m a happy camper. 🙂 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, taxmantoo said:

OK, you win. I submit to your superior knowledge of wine and all things wine related. 

No interested in "winning".  No claim to "superior knowledge of wine and all thing wine related".  I do claim to having an opinion about the position of Cellar Master on a HAL ship.  Are you willing to accept that thought?  

18 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

No interested in "winning".  No claim to "superior knowledge of wine and all thing wine related".  I do claim to having an opinion about the position of Cellar Master on a HAL ship.  Are you willing to accept that thought?  

You do realize you are quoting a certified sommelier I hope ?

You can have all the opinions you want and all the thoughts you chose  but Louis’ (tamantoo) statements are not opinions but facts. He is a sommelier and a wonderful one. 

There is a big difference between opinions and factual info.

You can have all the thoughts you like.  I will take a sommelier’s information first 😉 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, kazu said:

You do realize you are quoting a certified sommelier I hope ?

You can have all the opinions you want and all the thoughts you chose  but Louis’ (tamantoo) statements are not opinions but facts. He is a sommelier and a wonderful one. 

There is a big difference between opinions and factual info.

You can have all the thoughts you like.  I will take a sommelier’s information first 😉 

No, I am not aware of who this gentleman is and what his background might be.  Why would I be aware of such information?  

Holland America Line provided very satisfactory wine service to this guest before the advent of the position of "Cellar Master".

Is there a position aboard the ships that need to be "cut" in order to save some money?  it is the position of Cellar Master.  HAL has had "wine stewards" who knew more about the Cellars aboard than most of the "Cellar Masters" whom I have encountered.  Have these gentleman and ladies found employment elsewhere during our pandemic?   Neither of us know.  

Edited by rkacruiser

45 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

No, I am not aware of who this gentleman is and what his background might be.  Why would I be aware of such information?  

I guess you don’t follow LIVE threads since he did a wine tasting or two for our roll call.  We were very fortunate.  He did a great job 🙂 

45 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Holland America Line provided very satisfactory wine service to this guest before the advent of the position of "Cellar Master".

Is there a position aboard the ships that need to be "cut" in order to save some money?  it is the position of Cellar Master.  HAL has had "wine stewards" who knew more about the Cellars aboard than most of the "Cellar Masters" whom I have encountered.  Have these gentleman and ladies found employment elsewhere during our pandemic?   Neither of us know. 

My Cellar Masters have been wonderful.  I could name a few but I can see it’s a waste of time since you still go on.

Read back and understand. We need our Cellar Master for their care of our wine. At least for me, that’s important if it’s not for you 😉