Transatlantic on Oceania Ships

Floridastorm

Have done a couple of transatlantic crossings but never on Oceania. Would be sailing out of Miami or Barbados. Can anyone familiarize me with Oceania transatlantic experience versus a Celebrity, Holland America, or Princess experience?

Thanks Again 😐  

Well, Oceania has a couple of fun things which are done on their transoceanic cruises.  One is boat building/racing which is great fun even if you're not in the competition!  The boats must be built with recycled items from on board the ship.  I think they give about a week for the construction, which is then topped off with the flotilla being launched in the pool.  Of course, some of the entries don't float too well and, well kinda start sinking.  There is a competition as to who has made the most original and nicest  decorated.  Great fun watching the competition.

They also do some kind of Cruisey Fair, kinda like a country fair, but different.  There are games to be played, some competitions like golf putting with a couple of twists.  Prizes (Oceania tokens) are given at some of the booths.

The officers and staff man the booths, act as judges, etc.    All in all, both afternoons are great fun!  Especially with a fun drink in one's hand!

Enjoy your cruise, wherever you leave from.

Donna

• Like 3

4 hours ago, ronrick1943 said:

If you enjoy sea days you’ll enjoy Oceania.

I enjoy the price which seems to be the best bargain transatlantic. Can afford an Oceanview, Veranda, or a Penthouse Suite without breaking the bank. I also like the relaxed dress code that they have. Seems like sensible luxury without the formalities.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Floridastorm said:

I enjoy the price which seems to be the best bargain transatlantic. Can afford an Oceanview, Veranda, or a Penthouse Suite without breaking the bank. I also like the relaxed dress code that they have. Seems like sensible luxury without the formalities.  

Goncourt the Penthouse……….

We enjoyed our TA on Insignia a few years ago so much that we are booked on another TA on Riviera in November. There was a boat building contest and a lot of other activities: cooking demos, wine tastings, and a lot of competitions, but I don't recall a fair. I am just looking forward to some stress free time away from the news, good food and adult beverages!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Floridastorm said:

I'm sure you will enjoy a TA on Oceania; there's nothing not to enjoy on board.  And don't ignore 4:00 tea time every day!!!

16 hours ago, ronrick1943 said:

Goncourt the Penthouse……….

Yes, there's nothing like the service and perks in penthouse suites!  What I've always loved to do was to order dinner from the specialties and dine on your balcony!  At least once each cruise!

• Like 1

Great information presented. Gives me an idea of the on board experience in a TA. Since my wife and I are primarily interested in the ship's production shows, small groups in lounges, and maybe a classical ensemble in the atrium area, how does Oceania stack up with other small lines? I know they can never compete with the large cookie cutter lines, but there must be adequate entertainment on board. We were on a Windstar TA a while back and it's just like being on a large yacht. Entertainment was very limited at best. Everything else was superb. 

We all speak from past TA experience and who knows what a post Covid Return to Sailing TA will be like. We will let you know in Nov/Dec since we are on Riviera when she returns to Miami Dec. 3. I expect all of the activities previously mentioned for sure.  If you think you can create the Unsinkable Molly Brown, bring along some supplies.  A roll of duct tape can be invaluable along with any other supplies to make her pool worthy. 

Mauibabes

7 hours ago, Floridastorm said:

Great information presented. Gives me an idea of the on board experience in a TA. Since my wife and I are primarily interested in the ship's production shows, small groups in lounges, and maybe a classical ensemble in the atrium area, how does Oceania stack up with other small lines? I know they can never compete with the large cookie cutter lines, but there must be adequate entertainment on board. We were on a Windstar TA a while back and it's just like being on a large yacht. Entertainment was very limited at best. Everything else was superb. 

I generally don't go to the evening shows but when they were last sailing that had a troupe of 8 singers and dancers. Don't expect a fancy set production. There is a string quartet in the Grand Bar hallway area in the late afternoons, but personally it's not my thing, many people love it. There is a pianist in Martinis during happy hour. There is a band in Horizons around Happy Hour time and later in the evening, sometimes really good. There will be guest artists for some of the shows, I've heard some good things about them, I go to sleep early on cruises. Maybe someone that actually goes to the shows could chime in for you. I personally am a rock/blues guy and that just don't happen on Oceania, with the exception of occasionally on the Muzak around the pool in the afternoons. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/2/2021 at 11:16 AM, Floridastorm said:

They do have a classical atrium quartet, entertainment with singers and comedians. They usually have interesting lectures that cover more than just port talks. In addition, my wife enjoys the art classes in the art studio. On the Riviera and Marina they offer cooking courses. We have never been boarded on the Oceania transatlantics.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, flyboy3 said:

They do have a classical atrium quartet, entertainment with singers and comedians. They usually have interesting lectures that cover more than just port talks. In addition, my wife enjoys the art classes in the art studio. On the Riviera and Marina they offer cooking courses. We have never been boarded on the Oceania transatlantics.

Being boarded during a TA would certainly be entertaining until things got to the pointy end 😉

• Haha 1

On 10/2/2021 at 5:49 PM, ORV said:

There is a band in Horizons around Happy Hour time and later in the evening, sometimes really good. There will be guest artists for some of the shows, I've heard some good things about them, I go to sleep early on cruises. Maybe someone that actually goes to the shows could chime in for you. I personally am a rock/blues guy and that just don't happen on Oceania, with the exception of occasionally on the Muzak around the pool in the afternoons. 

A Marina cruise that I was on featured a guest band that did a Beatles tribute in Horizons one night after dinner. They were quite good. That was the most people I've seen in Horizons that late.  150-200 people.  This band also performed on the pool deck on some of the afternoons.  It was mostly rock music.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, sunlover12 said:

A Marina cruise that I was on featured a guest band that did a Beatles tribute in Horizons one night after dinner. They were quite good. That was the most people I've seen in Horizons that late.  150-200 people.  This band also performed on the pool deck on some of the afternoons.  It was mostly rock music.

Never seen anything like that, but sounds like a step in the right direction.