WELCOME BACK TO BERMUDA, NCL !!!

bluesea777

3 minutes ago, Heronymous said:

Did anyone here lose a diamond ring on the ship? Please message me if so with an accurate description, we'll give it to guest relations after dinner otherwise.

There's no messaging feature in use on Cruise Critic. It's disabled.

Edited by njhorseman

23 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

How could you do that if they can't contact you  because they don't know who you are?

You should really just turn the ring in to guest services.

If they're reading this, they know how to contact me. If they aren't reading this, it doesn't matter as guest relations will have it in 20 minutes. 

1 minute ago, Laszlo said:

Why is the BA gone? I thought its supposed to be in Bermuda until 3:00pm?

blame Hurricane Sam and mother nature

according to the Bermuda weather forecast, winds will be picking up today to very strong winds and seas will be rougher. much safer to leave now while the weather and seas is still calm. If the winds gets too strong, it can be unsafe for the ship to navigate

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, shof515 said:

according to the Bermuda weather forecast, winds will be picking up today to very strong winds and seas will be rougher. much safer to leave now while the weather and seas is still calm. If the winds gets too strong, it can be unsafe for the ship to navigate

Makes sense, I completely forgot about Sam

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, shof515 said:

33 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

Makes sense, I completely forgot about Sam

True. Very large ships have to take the upper North Channel and it’s in between the reefs, therefore if it’s too windy they cannot navigate safely through the channel. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bluesea777 said:

True. Very large ships have to take the upper North Channel and it’s in between the reefs, therefore if it’s too windy they cannot navigate safely through the channel. 

Yes- this!  I was warning over in the weather forum the ship could have to leave a little early.  Very heavy seas coming soon. Remember another NCL ship got stuck in the channel when it wasn't rough!

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, PelicanBill said:

Yes- this!  I was warning over in the weather forum the ship could have to leave a little early.  Very heavy seas coming soon. Remember another NCL ship got stuck in the channel when it wasn't rough!

Yeppers, it was Dawn a few years back. Had to wait for high tide to break loose and continue her way out.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bluesea777 said:

What is the Upper North Channel? Can you show me where it is on a map? TIA!

56 minutes ago, shof515 said:

This line shows the breakaway departure from Bermuda:

image.thumb.png.e7a0ce2bf00736f0c82ddbf04bf3172c.png

46 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

image.png.5089aa963fb91eac72e7ecf994c1526e.png

image.thumb.png.74bc35f6db9ebf2ffb4705707533c0fa.png

See the cut in the photo?

Crystal Symphony's (and also Viking Orion's) track:

image.png.b479dcded5e1f1bf53cf6fd6124d6b36.png

That’s an interesting route. I’m sure there’s a reason for it; I’m not a mariner, though!

36 minutes ago, Candy Apple 12 said:

That’s an interesting route. I’m sure there’s a reason for it; I’m not a mariner, though!

The routes follow the ship channels, which are like lanes on a highway. If you stray out of the channel (lane) you may run aground on one the many reefs that surround Bermuda . These are the safe navigation routes that are wide enough and deep enough for the ship to pass through. If you compare the Breakaway's route to the Crystal Symphony's you'll see that the Breakaway has to loop out further from land because Breakaway is wider and has a deeper draft than Crystal Symphony . The Breakaway has to use the North Channel, while the Symphony can use the South Channel.

Look at the map, figure 2.1, on pdf  page 18 of this document (labeled as page 5 of the body of the document):

https://static.squarespace.com/static/501134e9c4aa430673203999/53d1249be4b0c88eff1f0577/53d1249ee4b0c88eff1f11ca/1346261629093/BAMZ 2497 - Ministry of Transport 2011.pdf

The North Channel is labeled as number 8, the South Channel as number 9. 

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Most people don't realize the water depth only 15-25 feet for miles around Bermuda. You can be 10 miles North East of Bermuda and be standing in knee deep water. 

http://fishing-app.gpsnauticalcharts.com/i-boating-fishing-web-app/fishing-marine-charts-navigation.html?title=Bermuda+boating+app#9.26/32.6232/-64.4456

Edited by Laszlo

22 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

The routes follow the ship channels, which are like lanes on a highway. If you stray out of the channel (lane) you may run aground on one the many reefs that surround Bermuda . These are the safe navigation routes that are wide enough and deep enough for the ship to pass through. If you compare the Breakaway's route to the Crystal Symphony's you'll see that the Breakaway has to loop out further from land because Breakaway is wider and has a deeper draft than Crystal Symphony . The Breakaway has to use the North Channel, while the Symphony can use the South Channel.

Look at the map, figure 2.1, on pdf  page 18 of this document (labeled as page 5 of the body of the document):

https://static.squarespace.com/static/501134e9c4aa430673203999/53d1249be4b0c88eff1f0577/53d1249ee4b0c88eff1f11ca/1346261629093/BAMZ 2497 - Ministry of Transport 2011.pdf

Thanks! Never knew this existed - yes, interesting read and looking at the maps and figures ....

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

Wow. Thank you so much for posting this. That article is really interesting. I just added it to my reading list while at sea. That’s some really cool information. 🙂 

1 hour ago, SwimmingDragon said:

Wow. Thank you so much for posting this. That article is really interesting. I just added it to my reading list while at sea. That’s some really cool information. 🙂 

43 minutes ago, JC5240 said:

Very cool information!! Thank you!

You're welcome. the geeky part of me loves reading this sort of thing. ☺️

• Like 2
  • Haha 1