Pre Cruise Covid Testing

HALrunner

On 9/29/2021 at 8:49 AM, HALrunner said:

What other option have other cruisers been relying on? CVS?

In my area (Metro DC: VA/MD/DE) the walk-in clinics and pharmacies are no longer testing for travel purposes.  CVS, in particular, recently cancelled my scheduled test with no warning and no alternatives.  I have seen the same in other States due to the surge so just wanted to give a heads up that the options are becoming limited as well as undependable.

• Like 1

On 9/29/2021 at 11:56 AM, AKJonesy said:

I agree.  We are in our early 60s but I admit, I still felt the pressure.  The hardest part was not really knowing all of the options even though there has been a significant amount of information shared by cruisers.  That is why I went into great detail and hope that my information will help someone else.  IMHO the CDC is against the cruise industry and the cruise industry needs to help out it's cruisers as we have been helping support them.  I also forgot to mention we did not have insurance for our trip, and I will reconsider that for the future and that forced us to jump through hoops to get these tests done.  Two days is cutting it too close IMO.  

Hopefully,   HAL will either test at the pier  or this "48  NEg Covid Test"  becomes a thing of the past.

Just not worth the extra stress and BS. If enough people refuse to cruise under these circumstances;   the cruise lines can go out of business or push back.

We will definitely not cruise until things settle down.

Too much BS at this point.

• Like 3

One more question, how does this testing work if you are doing back to back cruises, both HAL, but different ships? Just walking across the pier in FLL to the second ship/sailing. Do you still need a test within 2 days of embarking on the second ship? Are tests offered onboard?

3 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

In my area (Metro DC: VA/MD/DE) the walk-in clinics and pharmacies are no longer testing for travel purposes.  CVS, in particular, recently cancelled my scheduled test with no warning and no alternatives.  I have seen the same in other States due to the surge so just wanted to give a heads up that the options are becoming limited as well as undependable.

How far ahead of your Appointment were you cancelled with CVS?  

Thanks for heads up and we plan on having a backup appointment scheduled just in case!  

4 hours ago, idiebabe said:

How far ahead of your Appointment were you cancelled with CVS?  

Thanks for heads up and we plan on having a backup appointment scheduled just in case!  

Both mine and my husband’s appointments were cancelled just over a day after they were confirmed.  The appointments were for Sunday so I spent some time researching alternatives.  We will be doing the Amazon Covid-19 Home Test Kit instead.  Fingers crossed that all goes well.

Is the Amazon test medically observed as is required by HAL? When I asked I was told that  the Amazon COVID-19 Test Collection Kit DTC is a direct-to-consumer, unobserved collection kit that does not include telehealth service or real time sample collection observation. 

Edited by freestyling
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, HALrunner said:

One more question, how does this testing work if you are doing back to back cruises, both HAL, but different ships? Just walking across the pier in FLL to the second ship/sailing. Do you still need a test within 2 days of embarking on the second ship? Are tests offered onboard?

If you are changing ships, I don't think the two cruises can be called back to back.  Better check with Holland America for sure about what you have to do re covid testing.  We sailed B2B in Alaska and did not have to do a test between the two cruises, but again, going from one ship to another, better check with HAL--and get it in writing.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

Both mine and my husband’s appointments were cancelled just over a day after they were confirmed.  The appointments were for Sunday so I spent some time researching alternatives.  We will be doing the Amazon Covid-19 Home Test Kit instead.  Fingers crossed that all goes well.

Thanks for responding!  Right now our CVS’s are scheduling up to two weeks out.  I’m planning on scheduling as soon as the date I need opens up but definitely won’t put all my eggs in their basket and will have a Backup!  

Good Luck!  🤞

31 minutes ago, freestyling said:

Is the Amazon test medically observed as is required by HAL? When I asked I was told that  the Amazon COVID-19 Test Collection Kit DTC is a direct-to-consumer, unobserved collection kit that does not include telehealth service or real time sample collection observation. 

You are correct; it is not medically-observed but it meets the requirements for my purpose.  At the moment I only know what I have read but will have full details on the collection procedure on Saturday, which requires logging into a special account and having a mobile phone at the time of collection.  Luckily (lol) I have done a medically-observed self test back in July so I am confident in that aspect and familiar with the process.

25 minutes ago, idiebabe said:

Thanks for responding!  Right now our CVS’s are scheduling up to two weeks out.  I’m planning on scheduling as soon as the date I need opens up but definitely won’t put all my eggs in their basket and will have a Backup!  

Good Luck!  🤞

My backup plan is to pay through the nose (so to speak) at an airport testing centre.  Good luck, and let us know how you made out!

• Like 1

On 10/1/2021 at 7:02 PM, 12cruise2 said:

If you are changing ships, I don't think the two cruises can be called back to back.  Better check with Holland America for sure about what you have to do re covid testing.  We sailed B2B in Alaska and did not have to do a test between the two cruises, but again, going from one ship to another, better check with HAL--and get it in writing.

Thanks for the heads up. I think we will switch our second sailing and just stay on the same ship. It is so much easier, with or without pandemic hoops and hurdles!

I also just ordered our Abbot tests as we would rather have them on hand early in case there is a delay in shipping/demand as we approach the holidays. 

(I'm aware of the December 1 expiration date, we are sailing in November)

Thanks again CC community for the incredibly helpful information! 

Just tried to make an appointment for the Rapid Test in Southern California at CVS.  There are no rapid test available period in a 100 mile radius.  No one will answer the phone to find out if this is temporary.  Where are these tests coming from CHINA?  PCR tests take too long.

• Like 1

Just an FYI--we're on the Nieuw Amsterdam right now 10/4 and they just used the Binax now antigen covid test medically monitored to test all passengers.  I confirmed with the lady who monitored my test that it was the Binax Now medic. monitored.  I'd read the CDC instructions that come with the packet and thought this test looked like it.

Re Port Everglades and testing locations nearby--when I looked at CVS in Fort Lauderdale a couple of weeks ago, there were several CVS locations that administered the rapid antigen test; also Nomi Health seems to have a testing site at Fort Lauderdale airport and one seems to be able to book an appointment several weeks out.

I am a big fan of the Binax proctored test.  From Emed, you get six tests for a total of $150 + $15 shipping.  They do say to allow 2 per person in case one has been damaged (always put in carry-on for flights, since it should not be bounced around or exposed to extreme temperatures).  

It took us less than half an hour to complete, and we did it in the privacy of the place we were staying, not exposed to others in a clinic (who might be there because they are sick).  

Just out of common sense and care for other people, you will want to do an additional test within 3-5 days of returning home, to make sure that you didn't bring back an unwanted souvenir. You could do it unproctored if it is just for personal information, or with the proctor if an employer wants to see a test result before your return to the office.  

This seems so much less stressful than what is being discussed here, and not more expensive than prices being quoted.  Especially if there are two or more of you, and tests are needed for a return flight home and 3-5 days after arriving home.  

• Like 1

On 10/3/2021 at 2:41 PM, Razz21 said:

Just tried to make an appointment for the Rapid Test in Southern California at CVS.  There are no rapid test available period in a 100 mile radius.  No one will answer the phone to find out if this is temporary.  Where are these tests coming from CHINA?  PCR tests take too long.

I'm in So Cal also.  I had the same experience at CVS, although there were "Neighborhood Testing Sites" that were recommended, but I don't trust.  At the Walgreen site, their results showed the closest locations were in Las Vegas and Henderson, NV.  WTHeck? Once I did a search for Covid Test Near Me on Google, I've got lots of ads for Rapid Covid Tests (Rapid Antigen, no cost, results in 15-30 minutes) so I'm going to go that route, but also have a Plan B and a Plan C as backup.  If you need some names of places, let me know.  I'll be happy to pass them along.

On 10/1/2021 at 7:02 PM, 12cruise2 said:

We are sailing B2B on Rotterdam in December.  If HAL did not require a test between cruises, that is great news.  If they do, did they have a onboard testing option?

16 hours ago, PigsCanFly said:

We are sailing B2B on Rotterdam in December.  If HAL did not require a test between cruises, that is great news.  If they do, did they have a onboard testing option?

I called about this and the rep told me that they test everyone before disembarkation (or turnaround day for B2B).

• Thanks 1

On 9/29/2021 at 4:46 PM, rothbury said:

Yeah, we're going to have to cancel several cruises because we can't comply withy the 2 day requirement.  We drive to FLL and it takes us 2 days.  DW is not a flyer.  Anyway, our usual schedule is to get into FLL on Saturday afternoon for a Sunday departure.  There is just no time for the test and results in time to cruise.  We haven't cruised since Feb 2020 and had a couple of cruises cancelled by HAL last year.  These next cruises were our attempt to use the credits we had.  First final payment is December so that one is gone for sure.  Not even going to schedule any cruises with HAL until this is over.  WE have accepted the fact we may never be able to cruise again.  Sad but nothing we can do about it.  Money is gone so it is what it is.

This is such a sad posting.  I have no idea why HAL doesn't do what NCL does, and test at the pier.  We found it so easy.  I feel very badly reading that it is so difficult for people to do some testing that should be automatic for the cruise line.

I've searched for a Walgreens or CVS store near me that offered a rapid test.  Surprisingly, none of them do.  The closest is nearly an hour away.  I did get tested in early August after a road trip at a CVS nearby - a regular PCR test - and the received the results in under 36 hours.  But I don't want to risk that for a cruise.

So, early this morning, I tried a Google search for "rapid COVID-19 test near me" and got a few hits that weren't chain pharmacies.  One had nothing on their website so I sent an email.  No response yet.  The other, which is a local chain and is located inside an ACE Hardware store (!) about 2 miles from my house.

They did not have weekend appointments, so I booked mine for 9 am on a Monday.  My flight is at 1 pm.

BUT, I'm also going to order the Binax NOW tests and will do a test that day IF the one at the pharmacy comes back positive.  Just to be sure it isn't a false-positive!  Then I'll test again when I return home so I can go visit my grandbaby. 😁

On 10/1/2021 at 6:42 PM, *Miss G* said:

Wondering How that can be done in two days as how long does it take UPS to get it to the testing lab?  Thank you for your input.  

14 minutes ago, Ilikeboats said:

Wondering How that can be done in two days as how long does it take UPS to get it to the testing lab?  Thank you for your input.  

Sorry, just to reiterate… the Amazon kit is not proctored if that is what is required. It is accepted, however, in certain circumstances. 

I was notified when the lab received my kit, which was 10:00am the following business day. By 2:00pm the same day I was notified that my results were ready for viewing. 

On 9/29/2021 at 12:00 PM, twodjs said:

The supervised home tests are very easy. They are shipped overnight from emed and the zoom test takes about 30 minutes. There are many YouTube videos demonstrating how it works. Don't let other people's comments deter you from cruising. Our HAL cruise was fabulous and felt safer than staying home with all the wackos out there.

This sounds doable.  I plan on setting up two alternatives.  A CVS minute clinic test and then looking at how to do this but it seems cut and dry.  Thanks.  I had no idea this existed.  

On 10/10/2021 at 9:19 AM, Naismith said:

I am a big fan of the Binax proctored test.  From Emed, you get six tests for a total of $150 + $15 shipping.

Unfortunately: eMed is currently "Out of Stock" 

https://www.emed.com/waitlist?hsLang=en

"eMed COVID-19 verified and validated tests are on backorder and we expect a renewed supply in November as test manufacturers increase their production."

but eMed has links to the same test at Optum (2 & 3 pack sets) on that page.

Good News (I hope) is - the new test (when they arrive) should / may be freshly manufactured with year long (late 2022) expiration dates.

On 9/29/2021 at 4:22 PM, mor mor said:

Here in Coronado California we have a mobile unit that comes to your house and tests you outside with quick results. You might have that in your town. I plan to use that before our San Diego cruise October 31. Hope that works out!!!

Can you tell me the name of the service?...we are in SD and would like to check it out!