New to silversea been with Seabourn last 10 years.Would like a comparision.

Captainlyle

I guess you got a good idea at this point on comparing.

With us; we have plenty on both lines and have four future cruises on both lines next year. They are way more similar than different. We feel very comfortable on both but need to be cognizant of some of the minor differences in included items and crews coming from different parts of the world.  

You will figure it all out in the first few hours on board....

• Like 2

We've travelled on both lines, but I have to say I do prefer Seabourn.

To us, there was a vitally important issue on Silverseas a number of years ago, when our cruise was largely occupied by 3 or 4 large groups/conference attendees. Our issue was that Silverseas provided special services to these attendees -- such as a relaxed smoking policy and one group were given all of the chairs on one side of the pool. I understand why--but it wasn't fair on other guests.

The biggest issue for us with Silverseas was that they take reservations for dinner. No reservation and therefore no attend on that night. We were asked to join a group 4 for dinner. They had a reservation but we did not. In the end it was only the intervention of the captain that got us a seat at the table.

On Seabourn the dinner service is not organised around the staff. On Seabourn if more turn up at one restaurant then the staff gets moved (quickly).

I should note that Seabourn do take reservations for groups BUT (and I have this from head office) they do not allow them any special priledges which might affect other guests

4 hours ago, Gourmet Gal said:

I’ve never cruised Seabourn but definitely encountered this kind of nouveau riche on Crystal.  Never on SS.

4 hours ago, Gourmet Gal said:

I’ve never cruised Seabourn but definitely encountered this kind of nouveau riche on Crystal.  Never on SS.

And I have never encountered it on Crystal.  Luck of the draw.

• Like 1

On 9/29/2021 at 10:53 PM, Captainlyle said:

We have been exclusively sailing with Seabourn the last ten years.My wife and I a very interested in trying something new.We have booked a cruise on the Silvermoon and where thrilled with all the dinning options .Can anyone tell us what to expect as far as service and friendliest of the crew.I always presume that food is something that is judged by people subjectively however would appreciate any input from all of you that have sailed with Silversea.Thank you in advance

for your input and advice.

PS. We return to Seabourn time and time again mostly for the crew.

I always thought the crew on Seabourn was unique and especially nice compared to others (as I was once very disappointed by inflexible, arrogant and stiff staff on Regent). After my recent first SS cruise on the Moon, however, I can only report the best about them (some even transferred from Seabourn). Cheerful, helpful and chatty people, all hard working and trying to please the guests.

For the food on Silversea (which in my opinion was remarkably better than on Seabourn) please visit my thread: https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/topic/2795938-the-silver-moon-food-and-drinks-extravaganza/

The Silver Moon is a wonderful ship. And I will definitely be back as soon as possible.

• Like 1

Some time ago I started a comparison thread for Silver Spirit and Seabourn Encore. Maybe this will be helpful. You can read my thoughts along with those of other posters.

https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/topic/2774767-silver-spirit-or-seabourn-encore/?tab=comments#comment-60889738

I also have several series of videos of Silver Spirit, Silver Muse, Seabourn Sojourn and Seabourn Encore on my YouTube Channel, Cruise Video Memories -

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbYW-Y1IjRSD9MECilTBG5A

These may help you further in your comparisons.

We prefer Silversea cruises but would be happy to sail on either cruise line again.

Edited by sail1658

To chime in once more…..to compare the “typical” passenger on both lines feels to me to be a form of snobbery. Crew, decor, food service are subjective of course, but to generalize passengers as country club vs faculty lounge “attitudes” says more about the judge.  It implies…..well… not sure what it implies.  We enjoy people from all walks of life.  The best thing about cruising is that at the end we all go home to enjoy what we love. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, cece50 said:

To chime in once more…..to compare the “typical” passenger on both lines feels to me to be a form of snobbery. Crew, decor, food service are subjective of course, but to generalize passengers as country club vs faculty lounge “attitudes” says more about the judge.  It implies…..well… not sure what it implies.  We enjoy people from all walks of life.  The best thing about cruising is that at the end we all go home to enjoy what we love. 

I think it might be slightly ironic that someone talking about snobbery is themselves probably slightly snobby themselves. 😂