Vaccine name change question

archer_310

Heading to Montreal later today to try and get a 3rd dose.  Friends have done this, so I'm going to try.  My only concern is does anyone know if the receipt you get for Moderna still says "Moderna", or have they changed it to the new name of Spikevax?  I'm hoping Moderna is still on the receipt as I don't think the cruise line would accept it without it saying Moderna.  Anyone from Quebec who has recently been vaccinated know the answer?

I see no reason why any cruise line would not accept it if one dose is named Moderna and a second one Spikevax. They have switched from using the manufacturer's name to that of the vaccine itself, but the product remains identical.

Edited by Fouremco

6 hours ago, archer_310 said:

Heading to Montreal later today to try and get a 3rd dose.  Friends have done this, so I'm going to try.  My only concern is does anyone know if the receipt you get for Moderna still says "Moderna", or have they changed it to the new name of Spikevax?  I'm hoping Moderna is still on the receipt as I don't think the cruise line would accept it without it saying Moderna.  Anyone from Quebec who has recently been vaccinated know the answer?

I downloaded my vaccine certificates with mfg names in Ontario to my Iwallet. They have the old and new names on first and second vaccines for Pfizer and moderna. The app was created by volunteers called Grassroots. You can download docs directly from the Ministry Ontario site. Or through your files if you have them in full version already. In Quebec they already have active QR code.  I don’t think they’re linked just yet. Just so you know… October 22 is when Ontario goes to QR code. I haven’t heard if they’re going to be harmonized across Canada. That’s something you could ask about. You’re ahead of the pack! Good luck! 

7 hours ago, archer_310 said:

Heading to Montreal later today to try and get a 3rd dose.  Friends have done this, so I'm going to try.

Good luck! Please let us folks  in the Canadian section of the CC boards know if you succeeded -- and the technique, if you did.  Thanks!

Edited by lots-of-km2
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, archer_310 said:

Please let us know how this goes. My sisters husband is going to try calling some pharmacies in Quebec to plead a case to get a third shot. We have have a cruise booked November 6 and waiting for the US to release what will be deemed acceptable with mixed vaccines is getting hard. We only have a short window if he is to get a third shot.  His first cruise was February 2020 and he loved it. He kids he killed the industry when he just discovered he loved cursing. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Princess Fi said:

Please let us know how this goes. My sisters husband is going to try calling some pharmacies in Quebec to plead a case to get a third shot. We have have a cruise booked November 6 and waiting for the US to release what will be deemed acceptable with mixed vaccines is getting hard. We only have a short window if he is to get a third shot.  His first cruise was February 2020 and he loved it. He kids he killed the industry when he just discovered he loved cursing. 

I'm going to Montreal on Thursday and have asked my mom to call ahead and ask "can we get a third dose of Pfizer/Moderan for travel.. we don't have Quebec identification"... or something like that.

My mom can be pretty persuasive and actually it was originally just for me but even though she is older (77), has severe asthma, and a kidney condition, she doesn't qualify for a booster in Ontario.

3 hours ago, K_e_short said:

I'm going to Montreal on Thursday and have asked my mom to call ahead and ask "can we get a third dose of Pfizer/Moderan for travel.. we don't have Quebec identification"... or something like that.

My mom can be pretty persuasive and actually it was originally just for me but even though she is older (77), has severe asthma, and a kidney condition, she doesn't qualify for a booster in Ontario.

I assume that you are going to Montreal for other purposes. Otherwise, why not just give it a try in Gatineau or one of the towns in the Outaouais region?

5 hours ago, Fouremco said:

I assume that you are going to Montreal for other purposes. Otherwise, why not just give it a try in Gatineau or one of the towns in the Outaouais region?

Yes going for another reason although if that doesn't work out I would be that crazy person spending $500 to fly to the states to get a vaccine 🙂

It was here that a few people reported that they are very strict in Gatineau as they anticipated people from the Ottawa area going over to try to get a third dose.

• Like 1

OK, I just got back from Montreal this evening and have to report that I have my 3rd dose and am ready to sail at the end of the month.  For those that are interested in doing the same, I can't take credit for this as acquaintances put me onto this and I decided to try it as well.  I went to the clinic at the Montreal Convention Centre.  My advice:  be straight up and don't try to lie.  I told them that I was from Ontario and I was there to get a 3rd dose for traveling.  It did take longer to get to the final point of getting the shot, but most of the time was for the first attendant to enter my Ontario vaccine shots into their database - so bring copies of your Ontario shots.  You will also need photo ID.  I had to be cleared by at least 3 different people before I got the person that gave me the shot.  When I told him why I was there, he just nodded his head and said he understood why.  Obviously I can't guarantee that this will work for everyone, but I am now the 4th person that I know that has gone to this clinic (can't speak for any of the others obviously), and has got their 3rd dose.  It was definitely worth it - about a 7 hr drive, overnight stay and Hwy 407 fees so as to not get stuck in traffic thru Toronto.  Much cheaper than flying to New Brunswick or even to Buffalo.  Ironically I live about 1/2 an hour from the border and it would cost me a fortune between flights and covid tests to go and get a shot there.  If anyone has any questions, I will do my best to answer, but there's not much else I can tell you.  I should add that yes, it still does indicate Moderna on the receipt that I got.

Edited by archer_310
  • Like 4

28 minutes ago, archer_310 said:

OK, I just got back from Montreal this evening and have to report that I have my 3rd dose and am ready to sail at the end of the month.  For those that are interested in doing the same, I can't take credit for this as acquaintances put me onto this and I decided to try it as well.  I went to the clinic at the Montreal Convention Centre.  My advice:  be straight up and don't try to lie.  I told them that I was from Ontario and I was there to get a 3rd dose for traveling.  It did take longer to get to the final point of getting the shot, but most of the time was for the first attendant to enter my Ontario vaccine shots into their database - so bring copies of your Ontario shots.  You will also need photo ID.  I had to be cleared by at least 3 different people before I got the person that gave me the shot.  When I told him why I was there, he just nodded his head and said he understood why.  Obviously I can't guarantee that this will work for everyone, but I am now the 4th person that I know that has gone to this clinic (can't speak for any of the others obviously), and has got their 3rd dose.  It was definitely worth it - about a 7 hr drive, overnight stay and Hwy 407 fees so as to not get stuck in traffic thru Toronto.  Much cheaper than flying to New Brunswick or even to Buffalo.  Ironically I live about 1/2 an hour from the border and it would cost me a fortune between flights and covid tests to go and get a shot there.  If anyone has any questions, I will do my best to answer, but there's not much else I can tell you.  I should add that yes, it still does indicate Moderna on the receipt that I got.

Thank you so much for posting that.

Do you know if they had Pfizer? And how long were you there for - as in from the time you arrived to the time you left?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, archer_310 said:

Thank you for posting. I assume the clinic has both Moderna and Pfizer? 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, K_e_short said:

Thank you so much for posting that.

Do you know if they had Pfizer? And how long were you there for - as in from the time you arrived to the time you left?

They had both Pfizer and Moderna.  It was a while, but not that long - everything just took time.  They have 2 parking garages around the convention centre that have 2 hours of free parking for vaccinations.  From parking to getting back to my vehicle, it was probably  1 1/2 hours.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, archer_310 said:

They had both Pfizer and Moderna.  It was a while, but not that long - everything just took time.  They have 2 parking garages around the convention centre that have 2 hours of free parking for vaccinations.  From parking to getting back to my vehicle, it was probably  1 1/2 hours.

Thanks for all the info. My brother-in-law is going to Montreal on Wednesday to see if he can get a third shot. He is the only one out of the 4 of us that is deemed “unvaccinated”. He really wants to go on the November 6 Reflection cruise. 

• Like 2

On 10/4/2021 at 10:43 AM, archer_310 said:

Let us know how he makes out!

Well my sister just gave me an update. He got his third dose in Montreal. No problems at all. He had all his paperwork and conveyed all went well. I have no other details at this point. He is thrilled that he will be able to cruise now. Thanks for all the info and help getting this to happen. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Princess Fi said:

Well my sister just gave me an update. He got his third dose in Montreal. No problems at all. He had all his paperwork and conveyed all went well.

Great to hear this -- thanks for posting the update! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Princess Fi said:

Well my sister just gave me an update. He got his third dose in Montreal. No problems at all. He had all his paperwork and conveyed all went well. I have no other details at this point. He is thrilled that he will be able to cruise now. Thanks for all the info and help getting this to happen. 

Would appreciate any details you can provide when available.  Did they go to the previously described Convention Centre?  Did they have a pre booked appointment?   Was there a particular area or division they addressed themselves to ?   

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Princess Fi said:

I'm happy it worked out for him!

2 hours ago, Josie201 said:

Would appreciate any details you can provide when available.  Did they go to the previously described Convention Centre?  Did they have a pre booked appointment?   Was there a particular area or division they addressed themselves to ?   

I think Quebecers can schedule appointments as they did ask me if I had one, but it is labelled as a walk-in clinic.  Everyone goes thru the same spots as they check in, so you don't have to go to any special location.

• Like 2

Just now, archer_310 said:

I'm happy it worked out for him!

I think Quebecers can schedule appointments as they did ask me if I had one, but it is labelled as a walk-in clinic.  Everyone goes thru the same spots as they check in, so you don't have to go to any special location.

He did go to the clinic at the Convention Centre and did not have an appointment.  He did have to go through 3 spots before getting vaccine but there was no issues. He arrived about 10:45 am and was finished at 11:30 am. No issues at all. 

• Like 3