Summit - 10-4 (good buddy) & Live(ish)

DCPIV

On 10/4/2021 at 10:53 PM, Jim_Iain said:

Can you update us on how many passengers and if there are any kids aboard?

On 10/5/2021 at 11:36 AM, DCPIV said:

The numbers I hear vary, but they've all been between 250 and 270, and suites are sold out. It was approximately 450 when we were on board a couple months ago, and I thought that was empty. 

I've seen no kids, so far.

On 10/5/2021 at 11:42 PM, canderson said:

266 pax, ~750 crew!  Those aboard seem to be loving the 3:1 ratio, but saying the low pax count does make the ship feel a little weird - something we seem to be hearing often these days.

First of all, thank you DCPIV for this thread.  I appreciated you posting the details of your trip.

I got off the Summit last week.  We had about 320 passengers.  I guessed, based on Summit's capacity and what I experienced onboard, that there were about 800 crew.  It seems I was pretty close.  There were some bizarre moments for me too, but overall it was great.  I'd like to get back onboard, but fear there's little opportunity before things return to normal.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Speasda said:

Late to the game on this - did either of you happen to take any pictures of MDR menus?

If you'll put the app on your phone, you will find that you can view current menus from each ship in each dining venue.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DCPIV said:

🤣 Yes, that is one way to do it, but you still have to close the door to get to the shelves.  It's nitpicking, but it's also a lack of consideration for the customer.  My dining companions and I all talked a good deal about how the "revolutionized" design is a lot of form over function.  Celebrity chose to go with something that photographs well rather than something that is comfortable and convenient for the customer.

Well, I generally close the door when I'm in the bathroom, so not an issue.  The bath of the RS was pretty much the same prior to the revolution.  Yeah, it's a bit tricky getting in the shower, but at least there's a separate shower & tub.  Looks as if just the sinks got redone.  Not a fan of those silly raised bowl sinks.  And I absolutely agree that function seems to have been tossed overboard in the revolution.  Not all that crazy about the form either!

23 hours ago, Speasda said:

Late to the game on this - did either of you happen to take any pictures of MDR menus?

Honestly, I never even looked at the MDR menu (although I did order some escargot one night).  As mentioned, those are available on the app.  It also sounds like they don't always know which menus will be available each night due to the shorter cruises (the exception being the "lobster night" menu on the chic night--maybe also the first night, but I don't know about that).  They did not follow the same sequence as they did for our 7-nighter a couple months ago).

It worked the same for Luminae (and I didn't think to take photos of those).

On 10/9/2021 at 11:59 AM, Honolulu Blue said:

First of all, thank you DCPIV for this thread.  I appreciated you posting the details of your trip.

I got off the Summit last week.  We had about 320 passengers.  I guessed, based on Summit's capacity and what I experienced onboard, that there were about 800 crew.  It seems I was pretty close.  There were some bizarre moments for me too, but overall it was great.  I'd like to get back onboard, but fear there's little opportunity before things return to normal.

Which deck did you disembark from?

39 minutes ago, weregoingcruising said:

Which deck did you disembark from?

38 minutes ago, DCPIV said:

Four.

Yeah, deck four for me too.

P.S.  I said in my post above that I disembarked the Summit last week.  It was actually two weeks ago.  I apologize for any confusion.

Edited by Honolulu Blue

On 10/9/2021 at 12:40 PM, Speasda said:

I almost hate to comment on food as it can be so subjective, but we found the food in the MDR to be very, very good. Even on nights when I didn’t see anything on the menu that really stood out, I was very happy with what I ordered. One exception to that was the salmon. I ordered it twice in three weeks and both tasted fishy. Could be due to the provisioning for the cruises out of St. Maarten. 

On 10/5/2021 at 5:00 PM, DCPIV said:

Here are a few unedited photos taken by an amateur who's been enjoying a sea day. Please view with that in mind. 

I realize that I forgot to take one of the bathroom. That'll have to come a little later, as I don't expect to return until after dinner. 

20211005_160209.thumb.jpg.3c3b7b4e3ae774e20a00754ec8b593ec.jpg20211005_160259.thumb.jpg.20fb3a3bbbff77f457a009c348bb8681.jpg20211005_160236.thumb.jpg.5fb754fa3e135c3972fb4b37121cec6e.jpg20211005_160228.thumb.jpg.8baa4e140483f8f2d22136aebc9960f5.jpg20211005_160159.thumb.jpg.4030f9e42f549597835200c7bd804b03.jpg

Cheers! 

16334711092664017998197548640377.thumb.jpg.9c0470a4f21e229886fd60037212d521.jpg

20211005_160259.jpg

Love the room.  We were on Summit in December of 2019 before the pandemic.  I  am a little alarmed at the low numbers they are having.  It is very nice I'm sure to enjoy with so few people aboard, just concerned for the staff.

36 minutes ago, jmklade said:

just concerned for the staff.

Likewise, but things are looking better. The lift & shift bookings are kicking in, as are new bookings. They were talking about 800 or so in the near future. That's hardly full, but it's much better than under 300.

10 minutes ago, DCPIV said:

Likewise, but things are looking better. The lift & shift bookings are kicking in, as are new bookings. They were talking about 800 or so in the near future. That's hardly full, but it's much better than under 300.

😀

Is a COVID test required and offered onboard before debarking?

We are booked on the Summit on Nov 18 and will then be transferring to Freedom of the Seas on Nov 22. Was hoping to use the COVID test onboard the Summit as our pre-cruise test for Freedom...

The only people they were testing on the last day of our two cruises were B2B cruisers and international people who needed it to fly out of the US.  You "should" be able to request that they test you the last full day on board.  The problem is you won't know until you are onboard and ask.  Since you are going on another cruise, I'd say your odds are good, but what if they don't?

If you are in a suite, you can probably call the shoreside concierge and ask for them to contact the ship and get a confirming e-mail. Another possibility (if you used a travel agent) is to have your TA contact someone on your behalf and request written confirmation. And, finally as a last resort, you can call Celebrity yourself and try to get someone to help you.

I think your safest bet is to order the approved home test kits and take them on disembarkation day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello to DCPIV and anyone else that has been aboard the Summit in 2021.  We have a question for you ...

Can a guest order cappuccino in the MDR (and/or in Luminae and/or in Blu)?

If so, is it brought in from Cafe Al Bacio, or is it made in the dining room's own bar?

Thanks, in advance.

On 10/14/2021 at 5:02 PM, jentravelrn said:

Is a COVID test required and offered onboard before debarking?

We are booked on the Summit on Nov 18 and will then be transferring to Freedom of the Seas on Nov 22. Was hoping to use the COVID test onboard the Summit as our pre-cruise test for Freedom...

It's not required for US residents who board in the US and return to the US (i.e., "closed-loop" cruises).  I've seen some talk about being able to get a test on board for the "sideways B2B" like you are doing, but I never talked to anyone about it on board.  I'd give Celebrity a call about that or be prepared with the at-home test.

• Thanks 1

On 10/16/2021 at 10:19 AM, jg51 said:

Can a guest order cappuccino in the MDR (and/or in Luminae and/or in Blu)?

I'm nearly positive you can do so in Luminae.  I ordered espresso without any trouble, and I swear I recall someone ordering cappuccino.  I'm pretty sure it comes from Cafe Al Bacio but only because they seemed to come through the front door (and not the kitchen entrance).  Regardless, the espresso was as good as what came from Cafe Al Bacio, so no big deal there.

I never dined in MDR or Blu, so I can't comment on that.