Just returned from 9/26 Breakaway to Bermuda

EllieinNJ

This was a great trip.  Some kinks but in the end very enjoyable.

Arrived at the port around 11am.  Every worker we saw asked us if we had our Bermuda Travel Approval.  Heard there were about 350 who didn't and they were told to go into Manhattan and find a place to do a rapid PCR test, wait for the results and then return to pier and apply for the Bermuda TA.  Also heard many didn't download their photos in their edocs so that took some time too.  That is why the ship didn't leave port until 9:30pm.  More about that later.

First we took two Covid tests through a group called Eurofins.  Another PCR for Bermuda and an antigen for NCL.  Waited about 20 minutes and got a text saying we were negative and could now check in.  They put a red wristband on us.  They scrutinized the Bermuda TA, checked us in and finally aboard around 1:30pm, just in time for lunch in the MDR or O'Sheehans.  They try to tell you only the buffet is open but we know better.

We originally had a balcony cabin on deck 8 forward but the TV was broken.  They said they couldn't change our cabin until after sailaway.  So as sailaway was 9:30pm we got a new cabin on deck 10 aft.  around 10pm.  One of the cruise managers and our steward rolled our bags to the new cabin.

Heard that the final count was 1815.  We were having a sailaway party in H2O at 4pm.  Waited till 6pm but then went to dinner and show.  Show ended at 9:45pm and we just saw us passing under the Verazzano Bridge.  Missed the NYC skyline.

The first night we saw Leo from the Gem.  He did a show in the Speigel Tent.  He also did performances around other venues on the ship.  Just as good as I remembered.  There were also two comedians at Headliners, a soul singer in the theater, a so-so magician, the show SIX and some great rock shows in Syds.  Burn the Floor was cancelled due to technical difficulties.

We had a very active roll call here and on the other social media group so lots of people showed up for the M&G.  Also had a great slot pull and pub crawl.

First day in Bermuda was delayed until around 11am so many excursions were also delayed.  We had booked the Restless Native Catamaran & Snorkle for 1:30pm and it changed to 3pm.  It was loads of fun.  We had non stop rum swizzles all the time on the boat. Only time we had to wear a mask is walking through the small building that serves as Bermuda customs. 

Day 2 in Bermuda we took the mini bus tour through the island.  It was suppose to be 5 hours but lasted 6 hours.  They took us to Hamilton and St. George with stops there about 35 minutes each.  We saw Horseshoe Beach and Tobacco Beach and stopped at another beach to walk in the sand.  Went to the lighthouse with a stop and drove through many scenic places.  Had to wear masks on the bus but was a great day.

Day 3 in Bermuda was cancelled because of Hurricane Sam.  It wasn't going to hit Bermuda but the Captain felt that the winds would be too strong so decided to leave at 7am instead of 3pm.

One thing I would like to mention is the noise at night while you are trying to sleep.  We heard that the entertainers were partying with non stop music until around 2am and also music from the Bliss nightclub was going on late into the night.  We met some people staying in the Haven and they said it was horrible for them.

It was wonderful to be back on a ship since our last cruise was August, 2019.  This was our first time in Bermuda.   We are also going on RCI Oasis out of Bayonne on Oct. 17th.  Didn't want to fly anywhere now.   Then next cruise is Epic transatlantic in April.  Hope this pandemic is better by then.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for the review!  I was considering the mini-bus tour. How crowded was the van?  I know pre-covid most places would pack them really tight using the jump seats so it was basically wall to wall people.  I was wondering if they now try to have a bit more space between passengers.

Glad you had a good trip and sorry about the music.

Glad you had a great time!!!  We were considering going on one of these Bermuda cruises out of NYC (we're Jersey People also & don't want to fly anywhere either) but didn't want to go through the stress of getting tested, waiting for the results, uploading to the Bermuda website, etc. etc. etc...  Hopefully things will be better by April and that being fully vaxxed (as we both are) is enough.

So Leo is now on the Breakaway!  We also remember him fondly from the Gem!!

3 hours ago, goldmom said:

Thank you for the review!  I was considering the mini-bus tour. How crowded was the van?  I know pre-covid most places would pack them really tight using the jump seats so it was basically wall to wall people.  I was wondering if they now try to have a bit more space between passengers.

Glad you had a good trip and sorry about the music.

There were about 7 empty seats.  The whole back, one double and two jump seats.

15 hours ago, EllieinNJ said:

This was a great trip.  Some kinks but in the end very enjoyable.

Glad you had a great trip!

First we took two Covid tests through a group called Eurofins.  Another PCR for Bermuda and an antigen for NCL.  Waited about 20 minutes and got a text saying we were negative and could now check in.  They put a red wristband on us.  

What were the wristbands for? How long did you need to wear them?

First day in Bermuda was delayed until around 11am so many excursions were also delayed.  We had booked the Restless Native Catamaran & Snorkle for 1:30pm and it changed to 3pm.  It was loads of fun.  We had non stop rum swizzles all the time on the boat. Only time we had to wear a mask is walking through the small building that serves as Bermuda customs. 

How were you notified of the time change?

Day 2 in Bermuda we took the mini bus tour through the island.  It was suppose to be 5 hours but lasted 6 hours.  They took us to Hamilton and St. George with stops there about 35 minutes each.  We saw Horseshoe Beach and Tobacco Beach and stopped at another beach to walk in the sand.  Went to the lighthouse with a stop and drove through many scenic places.  Had to wear masks on the bus but was a great day.

Would you recommend this tour for someone who has never been to Bermuda? Was it more driving time or more tourist time? Thank you!

The wristbands were to show your Covid test was negative.  We took them off when we got to the cabin.   We were notified with a voicemail on the ship phone.  This was our first time in Bermuda and it was an excellent intro to the island.

Thanks for posting this! Sounds like you had a good time.

We are going on the same cruise this Sunday (or so I hope), 10/10. 

This is first cruise to Bermuda and also a first cruise with a multi-night stop at the same port. Can you get off of the ship at any time? We have a Tazzari rental booked for 2 days and I'm hoping to do some astro photography around midnight or so, so I was wondering if they "lock the doors" 🙂 or if you can get off the ship at any time day or night.

Ive been to Bermuda many times on different cruise lines (not NCL).  Gangway was always open 24 hours so you could come and go as you pleased

50 minutes ago, smart_alec said:

This is first cruise to Bermuda and also a first cruise with a multi-night stop at the same port. Can you get off of the ship at any time? We have a Tazzari rental booked for 2 days and I'm hoping to do some astro photography around midnight or so, so I was wondering if they "lock the doors" 🙂 or if you can get off the ship at any time day or night.

Thanks for this, we just booked today for a Halloween Cruise to Bermuda.

The NCL person on the phone told us they did a rapid covid test at Checkin.  Reading what you wrote here I am guessing this is NOT the case.  Would we be better off getting a test done at home and bring the results with us?  Will that test be good for Bermuda as well?

Thanks!

1 hour ago, smart_alec said:

I believe there is a curfew in place.  Check the Bermuda Website

18 minutes ago, scottct1 said:

Thanks for this, we just booked today for a Halloween Cruise to Bermuda.

The NCL person on the phone told us they did a rapid covid test at Checkin.  Reading what you wrote here I am guessing this is NOT the case.  Would we be better off getting a test done at home and bring the results with us?  Will that test be good for Bermuda as well?

Thanks!

If you read roll call from September 26th sailing, Jamie provided excellent detailed info on here.

Theoretically, you need 4 different COVID tests prior to sailing (practically only three).

1. You need to do your first PCR test 96 hours prior to your sailing. There are specific requirements (has to have lab contact info, etc., in the results). That's for Bermuda Travel Authorization. You will need to upload it to the Bermuda's web site as soon you get the results. You will need that Travel Authorization to board the ship. You are responsible for doing it. 

2. If you want NCL to cover some of the costs should you test positive right before the embarkation (see # 3 below), you should do a test 72 hours prior to sailing date to be covered by NCL. That's in theory. In practice, NCL told several people that the 96 hours test ( #1 above) is good enough. So you can skip this one (probably, I'm planning to).

3. On the day of embarkation, NCL will administer two more tests. One will be the rapid antigen test for NCL. If you test positive, you will be denied boarding. If you tested negative 72 hours before (see # 2 above), they will provide you some sort of financial assistance . If you didn't do that test, you won't get any refunds. (Again, for Bermuda they told several people that just test # 1 they have to do 96 hours in advance is enough, and you don't need to do yet another test 72 hours in advance).

4. Besides antigen test for NCL, they will also do yet another PCR test - that's again for Bermuda. They won't get the results of that until after the ship sailed. If you test positive, I'm not sure exactly what happens. My best guess is they quarantine you in your cabin. 

Again, there is very extensive and detailed info about what tests exactly you need to do in the September 26th roll call. NCL will also email you. Also, all of this might very well change before you sail. It changed after I booked my cruise (I believe I got email with all of these 20 test requirements early August). A bunch of people were in port without the needed tests and documentation on September 26th, which is why the ship sailed at 9pm instead of 4pm. They waited 5 hours for people to get tests they should've gotten on September 22nd, and then they were waiting for their Bermuda travel authorization from Bermuda government. 

If the above sounds confusing and nerve-wrecking, welcome to the party. I thought of cancelling, but decided to go ahead with my 10/10 cruise. I am going in for my first test tomorrow, 10/6 (96 hours in advance). I have 4 different tests booked for tomorrow just in case to make sure I get my results early enough (ideally before Friday) so that I can upload that to Bermuda travel web site to get my Travel Authorization. 

A bunch of hoops to jump through for sure.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the very detailed write up. I will check out that Roll Call.

Got to be honest, when I woke up this morning I wasn't planning on going on a Cruise.  My wife called me at Noon and told me she booked it so now I am looking up things and want to make sure we are all set. (We had cruise credits that are about to expire and she said she got a great deal.) 🙂 

Before Covid we use to sail all the time and have been down in that region so many times normally we don't  get off the ship at port.  But I want to have everything ready in case we do decide to get off the ship.

Thanks again for the great write up.

23 minutes ago, scottct1 said:

Got to be honest, when I woke up this morning I wasn't planning on going on a Cruise.  My wife called me at Noon and told me she booked it so now I am looking up things and want to make sure we are all set. (We had cruise credits that are about to expire and she said she got a great deal.) 🙂 

Before Covid we use to sail all the time and have been down in that region so many times normally we don't  get off the ship at port.  But I want to have everything ready in case we do decide to get off the ship.

You are welcome. Please note, they won't let you *onto* the ship in New York without Bermuda Travel Authorization even if you are not planning to get off of the ship. That's what NCL communicated to me in emails and voice mail they left me on Monday. So regardless of whether you want to actually get off of the ship in Bermuda or not, you will have to get all of the required tests and Bermuda Travel Authorization or else they will deny you boarding in New York. Ask your wife if that deal still sounds as good as she thought 🙂 Also it will cost you $75 each for Bermuda Travel Authorization. 

Edited by smart_alec

19 minutes ago, scottct1 said:

I assume when you say "down in that region"you are referring to the Bahamas and points south. Bermuda is 900+ miles north of that area. It is a beautiful island, clean and friendly. You would do yourselves a disservice if you sailed all that way and didn't explore the island.  Happy cruising!!

20 hours ago, EllieinNJ said:

Burn the Floor was cancelled due to technical difficulties.

Is that what NCL said? I wonder if the technical difficulties had to do with unlocking the performer’s cabin doors. 🙄

FYI- Burn the Floor dancers were required to have a 2nd quarantine. NCL is something else. 

• Haha 2

44 minutes ago, Seany527 said:

Is that what NCL said? I wonder if the technical difficulties had to do with unlocking the performer’s cabin doors. 🙄

FYI- Burn the Floor dancers were required to have a 2nd quarantine. NCL is something else. 

Are you on 10/3 cruise? Is Burn the Floor cancelled again? 😞 I was so looking forward to that show. Saw that a few years back and absolutely loved it.

9 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Just curious, were you ever required to wear a mask while on the ship? Also, could you book your own private excursions or just walk around the port on your own or were you limited to the excursions offered by NCL?

No masks required anywhere on the ship.  Only when exiting after facial recognition until you pass the building with Bermuda Border Control.  Then you can take your mask off while walking on the pier.

We chose to do NCL excursions but others did do private excursions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Several things I forgot to mention.  There was absolutely no social distant on the ship.  The bars and pool were packed although not as much as capacity.  There was plenty of room for most of the shows except for Six.  I think every seat was taken.  Most slot machines were taken until after 11 and the smoke smell was horrible.  Never any line for any restaurant except for lunch at noodle bar.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1