Kids cannot use telehealth test results

lfox02

Public service announcement. 

Royal accepts both PCR and Rapid (antigen test) for kids that need tested three days before the cruise. 

Royal accepts telehealth/proctored home rapid test. 

HOWEVER, this home test is only acceptable for vaccinated folks. 

I don’t know who else needs to hear this, but I’m so glad I triple checked everything in enough time to schedule some rapid tests at the pharmacy for my kiddos!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, lfox02 said:

Public service announcement. 

Royal accepts both PCR and Rapid (antigen test) for kids that need tested three days before the cruise. 

Royal accepts telehealth/proctored home rapid test. 

HOWEVER, this home test is only acceptable for vaccinated folks. 

I don’t know who else needs to hear this, but I’m so glad I triple checked everything in enough time to schedule some rapid tests at the pharmacy for my kiddos!

home test is an antigen test.  PCR test is a more detailed test and a lab is needed.....you can't possibly do it at home.  So anytime, or any country that says PCR test is required......you will need to go to a lab, or doctor, or pharmacy.  Going to a lab if you can find one locally, is will give you the fastest results, same day.

5 minutes ago, greeneyedancr89139 said:

Thank you for posting this. I was going to go that route since our 3 day window is December 23rd and I am a bit nervous of getting the results in time during the holiday weekend. I will probably still do them for my  husband and I though since it is 2 days out. 

you can get rapid antigen tests at a provider for all of you. Within 2 days out for adults and within 3 days before the sailing for kids at THIS TIME.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

32 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

you can get rapid antigen tests at a provider for all of you. Within 2 days out for adults and within 3 days before the sailing for kids at THIS TIME.

Oh that's good to hear. Thank you! Looks like the 4 of us will be getting tested on Christmas Eve. I will keep looking for any changes though. I would feel much more comfortable being able to do all of them on the 23rd but I hope it will work. 

Ok, well now I need to rethink my strategy.

We will be in WDW from Oct. 29-Nov. 1 before boarding Indy on Nov. 1. Since Binax won't work for my kiddo, what are some recommendations on how I can get him tested in the given window. We won't have a car. 

13 minutes ago, greeneyedancr89139 said:

Oh that's good to hear. Thank you! Looks like the 4 of us will be getting tested on Christmas Eve. I will keep looking for any changes though. I would feel much more comfortable being able to do all of them on the 23rd but I hope it will work. 

do keep an eye on the RCI site: requirements may change at any moment and on a short notice. I would still test at 2 days out (23rd if you are sailing on the 25th; 24th if you are sailing on the 26th)) and not wait for the last day.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

4 minutes ago, chodnett said:

Ok, well now I need to rethink my strategy.

We will be in WDW from Oct. 29-Nov. 1 before boarding Indy on Nov. 1. Since Binax won't work for my kiddo, what are some recommendations on how I can get him tested in the given window. We won't have a car. 

check walgreens and CVS locations that have a rapid antigen test and schedule it 2 weeks in advance. Schedule 2 tests at different locations just in case one gets cancelled (CVS does it all the time). Get an uber/lyft.

12 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

check walgreens and CVS locations that have a rapid antigen test and schedule it 2 weeks in advance. Schedule 2 tests at different locations just in case one gets cancelled (CVS does it all the time). Get an uber/lyft.

Won't work. We won't have car seats. 

I think my only option at this point would be to use the testing at MCO the day we arrive (Oct. 29). That will be 3 days before we set sail.

31 minutes ago, chodnett said:

Won't work. We won't have car seats. 

I think my only option at this point would be to use the testing at MCO the day we arrive (Oct. 29). That will be 3 days before we set sail.

Just wrote a huge reply which disappeared... Sigh...

Basically, another option is to travel with your own car seats or travel-friendly car seats. I've done it, it's not too bad. You use the car seats on the plane for your kids and then in uber/lyft/rental car. YOu strap the seats to the hand truck/stroller/carryon suitcase with bungee cords.

IN case you wanted to check it out:

https://community.babycenter.com/groups/a10635/traveling_with_children

https://community.babycenter.com/groups/a6680085/traveling_with_children_photos

https://community.babycenter.com/post/a62126569/frontier-90-on-southwest-and-other-questions me

also me, but when the kiddo was big and mature enough to use a no back booster after the plane ride: https://community.babycenter.com/post/a77218372/traveling-with-a-no-back-booster

1daa2c7045f4772e756df20629b0410c.jpg.471a7eb841e8235bfa39348956dac95f.jpgGo-GoBabyz-Travelmate-Review-Installed-with-Cosco-Scenera.jpg.7687be66082d552fd008f9047394c9e7.jpg

71luZg4hg4L__SL256_.jpg.b7e020cdb3270960d99426061ed1a46f.jpg

YMRgvgLurJKOAqHwd1JGIWF3BPnIe9nf_lg.jpg.d2292b6dcdef4d48e44b0db103df198e.jpg

IMG_1789-225x300.jpg.b259e93c1b1cd8f69fba8ad530cda9a4.jpg

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

1 hour ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

***EDIT*** I think I found my answer. I missed the 'Plan a Visit' button.

***EDIT 2***  Are there CVS drive thru in the Orlando area that someone can suggest?***

The CVS that I'm looking in Orlando only went 3 days out for scheduling. When I select from the drop down menu - Travel Health (Non- Covid) as the reason, there were only 3 days to chose from.  There wasn't a calendar to chose future dates. Are all CVS like that?

Edited by eggnoodle

I have been following the protocols very closely and RCG has never said unvaxxed children could use the home test.  Just like the home test specified that it has to be the proctored one, it was also specified that unvaxxed couldn't use these test. Children under 12 are unvaxxed ergo... 

I am in no way trying to be rude but what wording from RCG made anyone think children under 12 could use the telehealth test?

38 minutes ago, eggnoodle said:

***EDIT 2***  Are there CVS drive thru in the Orlando area that someone can suggest?***

The CVS that I'm looking in Orlando only went 3 days out for scheduling. When I select from the drop down menu - Travel Health (Non- Covid) as the reason, there were only 3 days to chose from.  There wasn't a calendar to chose future dates. Are all CVS like that?

https://www.cvs.com/minuteclinic/covid-19-testing/?icid=coronavirus-lp-nav-general-testing

are you using this link? 

I think you may be using a link to their general Minute clinic urgent care. Orlando, FL CVS is showing Covid test appointments through 10/20.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

22 minutes ago, ampurp85 said:

I have been following the protocols very closely and RCG has never said unvaxxed children could use the home test.

at some point a couple of months ago they didn't say that the kids COULDN'T use the telehealth one either. They made it clear only recently. 

Since I have a 10 yo unvaxxed kid traveling with us, I must say I was a bit disappointed.

1 hour ago, eggnoodle said:

I think it depends on the individual CVS. I live in FL. The only CVS that offers the Rapid Antigen test rarely has appointment times available and when they do, it might be this afternoon or tomorrow. I've not seen any way to book an appointment for the Rapid Antigen test 2 weeks in advance at this CVS. A calendar pops up but there are never appointment times. I'm guessing it has to do with test kit availability.

Edited by CruisinNole

We've done our fair share of travel with car seats, and we've just hit a stage of life where we like to plan our trips to be without them. Plus, we tried the CVS Test strategy in FL a few weeks ago when we sailed on Allure, and BOTH tests got cancelled on us. 

So, my solution for this instance is to get my son tested in MCO when we land. That will be 3 days before we sail, so it works. I'll eat the cost, but it'll be worth it.

What I can't understand is Royal's double testing strategy for unvaccinated kids. We get the test 2-3 days before the cruise, then we show up to the terminal and they test again. We sit in a holding area for 45 minutes and wait on that result. To me, just require the terminal test and be done with it.

1 hour ago, chodnett said:

What I can't understand is Royal's double testing strategy for unvaccinated kids. We get the test 2-3 days before the cruise, then we show up to the terminal and they test again. We sit in a holding area for 45 minutes and wait on that result. To me, just require the terminal test and be done with it.

Possibly to cut down on positives at the terminal. Testing before makes sure you don't show up if you are positive and a second test just confirms you're still testing negative. In 3 days it's entirely possible to go from testing negative to testing positive. 

2 hours ago, CruisinNole said:

I think it depends on the individual CVS. I live in FL. The only CVS that offers the Rapid Antigen test rarely has appointment times available and when they do, it might be this afternoon or tomorrow. I've not seen any way to book an appointment for the Rapid Antigen test 2 weeks in advance at this CVS. A calendar pops up but there are never appointment times. I'm guessing it has to do with test kit availability.

I see the same as well. Currently it goes out to 10/20 but I think there's only one CVS that actually has time slot available.

Edited by eggnoodle