Has anyone disembarked in Rome recently? Traveled on NCL to Italian ports? Green pass?

PomPoot

If you are a US citizen and have cruised to Rome/disembarked there, I'd like to know what the procedures was like per COVID. Specifically, how did you satisfy Italian COVID rules? (So called green pass)

If you traveled on NCL, did you do a shore excursion in Italy? What was the experience like? What was on offer? Could you do anything on your own?

Did you need a green pass? How did you get it?

You may check out this thread on the NCL board.

On a NCL excursion you won´t need any proof of vaccination as it´s a bubble excursion (sort of - read the thread).

In Rome for a pre/after cruise stay you will need a proof of vaccination in the hotel, at the airport, when dining inside a restaurant, going into a museum (practially all indoor "activities"). And yes, they do check.

As I am German I do have a "Green Pass" (actually our app is blue) which is valid for Italy. Flying back from Naples I have been checked right after they check the boarding pass and prior to security. They scanned my QR code on my app. So unfortunately I can´t help you whether and how you can get a QR code with an US vaccination card. I know there is a website for France where you can apply for an EU QR code. But I don´t know whether Italy offers something similar (I never heard that Germany does).

steamboats

Covid-19, travellers (salute.gov.it)

My bolding and underlining added to the important parts of this quote from that page.  You need the locator form, a negative proper test, and your CDC card indicating you are vaccinated.

Quote from the above website:

"Travellers from Japan, Canada and the United States are allowed to enter Italy without the need to undergo a 5-day self-isolation, upon presentation of the Passenger Locator Form and certification of molecular or antigenic testing carried out within 72 hours prior to entry into the national territory to the competent authorities, as long as they possess:

the EU Digital COVID Certificate issued at the end of the prescribed cycle following successful vaccination against SARS-CoV-2 or a certification issued by the local health authorities following a vaccination validated by the European Medicines Agency (EMA)
or
the EU Digital COVID Certificate issued following recovery from COVID-19 or similar certification issued by local health authorities.

Otherwise, those who only have certification of a molecular or antigenic test are obliged to undergo self-isolation for 5 days at the address indicated on the Passenger Locator Form along with a molecular or antigenic test, carried out by swab, at the end of the isolation period. "

In addition to the above and in answer to your question about the Green Pass, the Italian authorities have also stated (in writing) that an official vaccination card from the US (or other countries) is considered equivalent to the Green Card. So if you are visiting Italy from the US you'll need to have your vaccination card with you and be prepared to show it if you want to visit museums, certain sites, and/or if you want to dine indoors in a restaurant and so on.

8 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

In addition to the above and in answer to your question about the Green Pass, the Italian authorities have also stated (in writing) that an official vaccination card from the US (or other countries) is considered equivalent to the Green Card. So if you are visiting Italy from the US you'll need to have your vaccination card with you and be prepared to show it if you want to visit museums, certain sites, and/or if you want to dine indoors in a restaurant and so on.

Are you suggesting that one does not need a green pass--they can use their American CDC card? I haven't seen that before. Can you link me to a website?

• Like 1

From the link below:

"Access to these services and activities is allowed on presenting the EU Digital COVID Certificate or an equivalent certificate issued by the health authorities of Canada, Japan, Israel, the United Kingdom and the United States."

The equivalent certificate for the US is the CDC vaccine card.

This is from the offical tourism office of Italy, here:  Covid-19 updates: information for tourists - Info (italia.it)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PomPoot said:

Are you suggesting that one does not need a green pass--they can use their American CDC card? I haven't seen that before. Can you link me to a website?

I've seen it in multiple places. Here's another one (in addition to euro cruiser's, above):

The certificates issued by health authorities in Canada, Japan, Israel, the United Kingdom and the United States of America, as well as those issued by foreign health authorities following vaccination with EMAauthorised vaccines or with Covishield (Serum Institute of India), R-CoVI (R-Pharm), and Covid-19 vaccine-recombinant (Fiocruz) vaccines, are recognised as equivalent to national and EU digital green certificates, as long as they contain the necessary information (identification data of the holder, vaccine data, date(s) of administration of the vaccine, identification data of the issuer of the certificate) and are written in English, French, German, Spanish or Italian (if they are issued in any another language, they must be accompanied by a sworn translation).

https://www.esteri.it/mae/resource/doc/2021/09/normativa_covid_28_set_eng.pdf

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

I know you asked this question awhile ago, but I can share my experience. I was in Italy last month. We entered the EU through Paris and thus were able to get the EU Green Pass because, at the time, France had a system for tourists to apply for the pass. HOWEVER, we would have been absolutely fine in both France and Italy with our passports and CDC cards. We waited for entry to many museums, restaurants, etc. with other Americans and they were all able to enter with their CDC cards. Sometimes they also needed to show their passport, and at other times this was not required. Truly, this is not a thing you need to be concerned about.

• Like 1

You might find this helpful. Last week Rick Steves posted a video about what it’s like to tour in Europe right now for the American traveller, and he spent some time in Italy and just returned. It really gave some great information on the current covid rules and situation in Rome. (And other places in Europe)

It is pretty much what has been stated above by the official documents, but watching Rick Steves video blog, it gives me comfort to see it in action at various sites and restaurants around Rome. He also gives other great insights about getting covid testing done in the city of Rome.

• Like 1