Mardi Gras Not for Us

dbrucern

Please don't get me wrong, the ship is absoutely beautiful and there is  plenty of places to eat and lots to do including getting lost but I don't know if it was the excitement of anticipation or the largeness of the ship but we were both saying by the end of the cruise that we were not so sure we would come back to this ship even though we are booked again for January 2022.  We also heard this from several other people that we met on the cruise. Let me start by saying we had excellent service from every crew member we met or came in contact with and showed our appreciation  however what was unusual is that we never saw our cabin steward but for a moment when we first boarded, which is a first for us in 34 cruises.  We were disappointed in the size of the balcony room which is smaller than on the other ships and who knew the bathroom could become even smaller although having the glass door on the shower was nice. Apparently unbeknownst to us we had  signed up for the "Karen" cruise which became very entertaining EACH day and it was not limited to any age group.  It was also amazing to us the number of people that do not read information on the Carnival site with regards to the protocols currently in place. One person missed the ship so they decided that they could just fly into Mexico and board at that time (it did not happen), families that signed up for excursions that they could not go on because the children were not vaccinated and had no idea about bubble tours which by the time of cruising were sold out and still attempted to get off the ship but somehow this was Carnival's fault.  Or the two elderly women that were fighting over a chair that was in the shade but apparently it was ok to just move things while one went to the bathroom even though the other person was told someone was sitting there.  Like I said each day it was something else.  We did meet a group of wonderful people and had a great vacation 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

It's unfortunate that you didn't have the best vacation. The things you listed seem more to do with the guests and less about the ship itself.  I think it would be helpful for others if you can elaborate what about the Mardi Gras itself you didn't like versus other Carnival ships it would help people understand why you feel ambivalent about the ship.  

• Like 10
  • Haha 3

Interesting take.  So they've decreased the square footage in the typical cabin?  Can you elaborate on that a little?

Also, is common space going to be a problem when the ship is sailing at a higher pax count?  We noticed that potential issue on Horizon last month, even with a 2135 passenger count.  Heard from crew about the lines.  I could see the potential.  Do you think Mardi Gras might be even more challenging?

Edited by jsglow
  • Like 1

My cabin steward was the best part of my last cruise. I think it's different for whatever cabins you have and can vary. I dont think this is ship specific. 

On the other hand I had a gripe with some others, like a steak house waiter. 

Mardi gras did away with bargain priced cabins like 1A and port holes. Cabins you can see out of for inside prices. That's my gripe. 

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, jsglow said:

Interesting take.  So they've decreased the square footage in the typical cabin?  Can you elaborate on that a little?

Also, is common space going to be a problem when the ship is sailing at a higher pax count?  We noticed that potential issue on Horizon last month, even with a 2135 passenger count.  Heard from crew about the lines.  I could see the potential.  Do you think Mardi Gras might be even more challenging?

It's been posted on many other threads cabins are smaller on mardi gras. Longer and thinner than before. Idk .. easy to look up dimensions of sf. But since this is at least the 6th post I've read, I am sure they must be smaller for so many to comment on smaller size.

1 hour ago, jsglow said:

I don't know about how much the overall sqft changed, but they are DEFINITELY narrower than before.  They're using a puzzle piece design - they alternate where the bed goes between cabins, setting the head of the bed a bit.  I'll add a pic I found, the bottom two show what I mean.  It results in an overall narrower than usual room.

We did not mind it at first, but by the end of the cruise we were frustrated that on top of the already narrower than usual entrance hallway, the doors had foam stoppers in the mechanical bit above that prevent them from opening fully - or even opening to within eight inches of the closet.  It made bringing a tray full of food from upstairs a bit difficult, and we legitimately pondered cutting the foam stopper in half to see if it would still prevent the door from hitting the closet but actually allow us to use the whole width of the door.  We did not, nor did we complain to the steward - it wasn't a dealbreaker by any means - but I hope they fix at least that before we sail again.  Otherwise, we did not find ourselves missing however many square feet they got with the interlocking design - the room was generally well set up and very functional.

As for crowding at full capacity... I fear that will be the case.  The waits for restaurants were completely non-existent, so that part might have the capacity needed for full sailings, but a number of public areas were full even at this level.  Our poolgoing friends often reported to each other that there was no room left in pools (including Serenity, though it took longer for people to discover it so they got a few days of bliss) and little room available for lounging.  I'm not certain I'll be nearly as happy with the ship when she's filled to max.

Screenshot_20211010-111914.png

Edited by Virga
  • Like 1

Totally agree about the size being smaller.  Most noticeable was what was mentioned about the doors not really opening all the way. Very difficult to just get in room. And with that hall being so narrow, getting in the closets was tight.  Bath was tight but with glass shower door that actually worked out fine.  Our bed was closest to closet/bat and was difficult to navigate around.  I probably eater have the other layout but I’m sure it makes it difficult to get around to balcony.  With flat screen TVs now once in the sitting area it didn’t feel cramped at all.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Virga said:

Our poolgoing friends often reported to each other that there was no room left in pools (including Serenity, though it took longer for people to discover it so they got a few days of bliss) and little room available for lounging.  I'm not certain I'll be nearly as happy with the ship when she's filled to max.

I've found crowding at the pools, especially at the main Lido pool on all Carnival ships, so I don't see how that's any different on the Mardi Gras. I am also surprised to hear about not finding a space to lounge at Serenity.  If you mean directly around the Serenity pool yes, that area was always crowded on my particular cruise. But The Serenity area on the Mardi Gras is so large that I never had a problem finding a lounger at the most forward area of the Serenity area which was never full on any of the seven days of my cruise.  

original_684c3362-eef8-42e9-8469-7e56a3d1fb69_PXL_20210905_152010385.jpg

11 minutes ago, Colorado Beach Bum said:

Totally agree about the size being smaller.  Most noticeable was what was mentioned about the doors not really opening all the way. Very difficult to just get in room. And with that hall being so narrow, getting in the closets was tight.  Bath was tight but with glass shower door that actually worked out fine.  Our bed was closest to closet/bat and was difficult to navigate around.  I probably eater have the other layout but I’m sure it makes it difficult to get around to balcony.  With flat screen TVs now once in the sitting area it didn’t feel cramped at all.  

This is going to complicate things for folks expecting to get their scooter into a non-HC cabin.  The narrower corridors will limit turning, too.  EM

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jsglow said:

I've seen posts that said the typical inside cabin decreased from 185sf to 158sf. I definitely want to cruise Mardi Gras and Celebration just for the sheer number of food choices. However, I may wait until we can book 2 cabins because there are 3 of us.

I think it shows carnival is going a different way than rcl and ncl.

Ncl new prima again has studios where solos can meet and pay less for a smaller cabin.

Rcl has solo cabins not much discussed and not just insides. Newer ships have solo balconys now. And they have a loyalty level you can earn by extra bookings to get a solo discount... on any category.

Carnival really low prices are on 1A which mardi gras did away with. No solo areas or cabins. No solo discounts on this ship. They choose to go toward more in the same cabin for these ships built pre covid. Carnival has said to solos we dont want your business.

As far as essiesmom comment about door width. Rcl has bigger hc cabins. They embrace hc folks. Carnival has the same size cabins for hc and regular. 

Add in this unfair practice of targeted pricing only a few special get for no reason, not because they earned the perk. .. is it any wonder carnival has to about give away cabins to fill? I know carnival couldnt have seen covid coming but right now it's not helping. 

A solo area like ncl would have been awesome.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

I've found crowding at the pools, especially at the main Lido pool on all Carnival ships, so I don't see how that's any different on the Mardi Gras. I am also surprised to hear about not finding a space to lounge at Serenity.  If you mean directly around the Serenity pool yes, that area was always crowded on my particular cruise. But The Serenity area on the Mardi Gras is so large that I never had a problem finding a lounger at the most forward area of the Serenity area which was never full on any of the seven days of my cruise.  

original_684c3362-eef8-42e9-8469-7e56a3d1fb69_PXL_20210905_152010385.jpg

To be honest, I don't think I've ever been in a pool on a ship, nor sat in one of the loungers.  Back when I smoked, I sometimes ended up on whatever side you smoked on, but since then, I have taken no opportunity to spend any time at all outdoors if I'm not seated at a bar.  I just watched them discuss availability on our group chat - they could well have meant lounger space near the pool.  We only briefly stopped in early on during our exploration, I never saw it after everyone else discovered it.  

On the scooter thing, there is NO WAY you'd get one into the normal room layout.  We saw people leave them in the elevator corridor - I hope their rooms were nearby! - and I imagine there are other layouts specifically marked for guaranteed accessibility.  Even the old versions were not well suited for even walkers, we had to book the legit accessible rooms for my dad.  

Edited by Virga

1 hour ago, Essiesmom said:

This is going to complicate things for folks expecting to get their scooter into a non-HC cabin.  The narrower corridors will limit turning, too.  EM

Yeah, zero chance unless it can break down or fold way down and fit under bed.  At least get room with couch near door, not bed. 

we just disembarked from Mardi Gras (yesterday) and i agree the cabins seem more narrow. my Father in Law (who is 80) could barely open the door to their room (10339 - we were in 10341) and also noticed it seemed more narrow when entering the cabin.

i noticed the crowd on our cruise were quite rowdy… the serenity pool was never serene but instead packed with very loud cheers package guests.  while this was a disappointment it didn’t ruin our cruise as we just found another quiet spot on the ship (and there were plenty!) 

• Like 1

Yep, I sense Carnival going the route of max efficiency from a company standpoint with their newer builds.  I'm confident I won't get on an overcrowded ship in peak times.  More amenities are nice; but elbow room is what I personally prefer. 

Don't get me wrong, we very much enjoy the product.  We have 5 cruises booked on Spirit, Dream and Conquest class ships. But everything has a price that I'll be willing to pay.  And I try not to pay for crowds and lines. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Mardi Gras did away with bargain priced cabins like 1A and port holes. Cabins you can see out of for inside prices. That's my gripe. 

This is why we may sail Mardi Gras class once and go back to the class of ships Carnival has that offer the port hole PT and 1A categories. We prefer these as they have the sofa couch just like the higher priced balconies. 

2220 Panorama.jpg

• Like 5

1 minute ago, mondello said:

Yeah, they're gonna need every one of those food venues when they're at max capacity. I've loved the Conquest class ships and finally booked Horizon and Vista.

I just sailed Horizon for the first time.  At 50% it was really nice.  But I could sense what it would be like at 100%.  Nope.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I think it shows carnival is going a different way than rcl and ncl.

Ncl new prima again has studios where solos can meet and pay less for a smaller cabin.

Rcl has solo cabins not much discussed and not just insides. Newer ships have solo balconys now. And they have a loyalty level you can earn by extra bookings to get a solo discount... on any category.

Carnival really low prices are on 1A which mardi gras did away with. No solo areas or cabins. No solo discounts on this ship. They choose to go toward more in the same cabin for these ships built pre covid. Carnival has said to solos we dont want your business.

As far as essiesmom comment about door width. Rcl has bigger hc cabins. They embrace hc folks. Carnival has the same size cabins for hc and regular. 

Add in this unfair practice of targeted pricing only a few special get for no reason, not because they earned the perk. .. is it any wonder carnival has to about give away cabins to fill? I know carnival couldnt have seen covid coming but right now it's not helping. 

A solo area like ncl would have been awesome.

A different way?  I think all 3 lines continue to add more and more passengers and create bigger ships.  I actually prefer that carnival doesn’t have as many areas for specific groups (singles, suites, etc) as it just means less space for the majority of the passengers.  Now carnival has added the Havana area and now family suite area so they too are taking away space from everyone else.  Although Havana much smaller in the Mardi Gras.  I suppose each line feels they maximize profits by catering to who they do. 

8 minutes ago, Colorado Beach Bum said:

A different way?  I think all 3 lines continue to add more and more passengers and create bigger ships.  I actually prefer that carnival doesn’t have as many areas for specific groups (singles, suites, etc) as it just means less space for the majority of the passengers.  Now carnival has added the Havana area and now family suite area so they too are taking away space from everyone else.  Although Havana much smaller in the Mardi Gras.  I suppose each line feels they maximize profits by catering to who they do. 

My pt was carnival does nothing to cater to solos, but rcl and ncl do.

Just a different direction. Lol as far as I'm concerned they can keep their family area. It's clearly not a big seller. 

It just shows me at least whom they are trying to attract. .. nothing to do with overall size of the ship. Even one thing for solos would show we were welcome, but nothing. 

I just watched a well done YouTube for a typical Mardi Gras balc cabin.  Very nicely appointed and I really like the sliding balcony door but somewhere between 18-24 inches narrower in the 'punt' section.  Let's call that the 'anti-slideout' in RV terms.  Not a deal breaker but still.